collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The other cycling thread (leisure )  (Read 1766 times)

Offline eric woolban woolban

The other cycling thread (leisure )
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »
After discovering the canal from Great Barr to  Minworth and beyond.  Are there any other long canal rides that can be done in and around the West Midlands?

Offline spk

Re: The other cycling thread (leisure )
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »
Mate there are loads.my summer hobby.Brum to Notts is good (get the train back) or Brum Stratford,Brum Worcester.Ive done Manchester in 2 days,and London in 2 hard days.Get a canal map and it will all be clear.Ask away for further info.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
Love doing Kings Norton to Lapworth, have a pint and turn around.  Done Stratford-upon-Avon  on same route but from  Lapworth the towpath was non existentoxic or in a pretty bad state. Did the Rea Valley route from Northfield  to Clent this morning on my MTB. 

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:24:28 AM »
I've only run part of the route but the Old Main Line/New main Line to Wolverhampton via Tipton is fabulous.

You can also do a loop from nr Star City south down into town to meet the Grand Union and then head back northish through Aston U and back up the Brum & Fazeley to Spaghetti Junction

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
The National Cycle Network have a useful map on their website:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 07:16:58 AM »
Not cycling but I'm a rather keen canal walker. By keen I mean I have walked the Grand Union from Birmingham to London, all 93 miles of the Trent-Mersey, and the Midlands network out from the City Centre to Stratford, Worcester, Wolverhampton, Fazeley etc.

It's possible to use the canal routes to get to Villa Park leaving the Fazeley canal at Cuckoo Bridge or coming off the Tame canal as it comes through Witton. Travel north on the Fazeley canal and just past the Dog & Doublet you can see the training ground on your left.

There is also the Birmingham Canal canter route which I have done a couple of times.
https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=3418
http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/birmingham-eng/birmingham-canal-canter-route-294191049

P.S. So we can all enjoy our fascinating canal network together will you lovely cyclists please remember to ring your bell when you see us walkers in front of you so we can move to one side of the towpath. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:22:31 AM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »
I commute every day from Bilston to Five Ways every day on my MTB on the canal towpath
I get on the Walsall Canal then up to Albion Road where I get on the Wolves to Birmingham Canal
I love it,its glorious most days so peaceful and tranquil.......Takes me about 50 mins to do the 10 miles

Normally on a Sunday I do the loop described earlier down to Spagetthi, Up past Alexander Stadium and that's about 23 miles but they are doing the towpath
up by the M6

Online luke95

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
Just get out & ride them, the beauty of the canals is it's virtually impossible to get lost .

That route that Andy Lochead has posted is a decent ride out & has the Black Boy on route for a bit of grub & a refuel .

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
Yeah I should just go exploring really. Managed to get out this morning before the rain (?) Did a nice 22 miles and back home for before 11.
I think I may commute to work some of the days. It's about 90% canal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal