collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 40 Years ago today (tonight)  (Read 3698 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: 40 Years ago today (tonight)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
Still possibly the best period of 2 months ever following the Villa.

Lets start with the QPR games, I was living  in London at the time (well Ilford Essex to be precise).   I actually got my ticket directly from  Loftus Road and in the Villa End  (which I think they called the School End  at the time) which was a small Clock End type end but held 8,000 which Villa took and packed out.   This was after 2 or 3 postponements due to a frozen pitch.   We drew  0-0 and  most of us thought we had more than one foot along Wembley Way.  On to the 2nd leg and lets be honest we were outplayed - not a disgrace given the fact that QPR had finished 2nd just behind Liverpool the season before.  Luckily we survived however we lost the toss and off to London it was for the 1replay.  - For anyone who is guessing  the 2nd replay was scheduled to be played only days later at the Hawthorns. 

Anyway Brian Little in front of some 12,000 fans  (packing out the Clock End) saw us through to Wembley.

The first game  which was a bore draw, would be best remembered due to one of the bandsman losing one of his spokes and the start of the second half being held up.  The replay at Hillsborough we should have won - played much better and so on to the 2nd replay and a delay of about 3 or 4 weeks at Old Trafford.

Gray was injured and Graydon came in for his first game in a bit.  I travelled from London via Northfield with Mark Tonks and his family.  His mum and dad were baggies but did I care I was getting a lift to the final.   Some of the songs in the back of the car with Mark, his sister Nikki and me were colourful.  It seemed to take ages to get to Old Trafford due to a massive traffic  queue.  We arrived as Everton took the lead urggh. 

Villa were however in complete control on the pitch and the fans  picked up on this and the United Road whefanre I was along with the scoreboard and the other side of the pitch were giving everything for the Villa to get back into the match.  It came from the famous  run forward by Chris Nicholl.  Not his first run forward all night if I remember. 

Little scored a quick second and we all thought the cup was secure only for a jammy Everton equaliser and then onto the last minute winner in extra time by Brian Little and I had reached heaven and beyond. 

Getting back to Brum at about 3 in the morning and much singing in the back of the car it was fantastic.

ps who remembers the 15,000 plus fans who went to Coventry on the saturday.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »

ps who remembers the 15,000 plus fans who went to Coventry on the saturday.

What a great competition for us that year-home draws throughout bar the 'neutral' semi-final replay culminating in that fantastic night in Manchester. Got to all the games including the final trilogy -dissappointed at Wembley, soaked at Sheffield and on a high in Manchester. Ended that night at 4am in Marco's chippie on the Walsall Road with a load of other travelling Villa waifs and strays from the night.No one wanted to go home.

And yes, the following Saturday Villa just took over Coventry.Soccer Specials leaving New Street from early morning (well probably additional ordinary trains but just full of supporters) .At the ground by 11 with thousands of others.,Villa supporters on all sides-Andy Gray was with supporters in the seats . What a truly  wonderful time to be a Villa fan!

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
Our daughter and her family are staying with us for Easter.  The boys asked me this morning if I could show them my red and yellow cards from my refereeing days.  Whilst looking, I came across my ticket for the match and also my train ticket.  I've posted pictures of them on Facebook for the few people on here that are in the friends category.  I don't have any luck posting pictures on here.

Match entry btw, was one pound.  Suck on that youngsters!  Only kidding.

Offline Godfrey Brian

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »
Didn't the Football League drop the prices for the second replay because fans had paid out twice already?

Offline steamer

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
The Coventry game was my 21st Birthday, what a day.
Today I am 61.
Last year on My 60th Birthday I travelled to Old Trafford, Strange how so many benchmarks in my life are associated with the Villa.
Glad I was not there yesterday though.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
Happy birthday Steamer, you missed fuck all yesterday.  Typical Villa end of season.

Offline Godfrey Brian

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »
43 years ago today!

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
I was 9. I remember my Dad taking me to the home leg v QPR, Dad going to Wembley and waking up to find he'd left the programme by my bed when he came in, then listening to us win the 2nd replay with him on the radio, my first real memory of following a big match on the radio.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 11:22:30 PM »
Have a good day on Thursday, Steamer.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »
One of the few advantages of being an old git is remembering fantastic games like this!

Went to the Loftus road-got postponed twice so had to have 3 'dental appointments' which was really obvious at school.Went on the coach and got thumped by a Milwall fan after for protecting my mate's flag. Missed the replay at Highbury because some idiot had a party-which we spent glued to BRMB!
So lucky that my Dad took my Brother, sister and me to all 3 finals. First 2 were hopeless, but Chris Nicholl's toe poke would have hit me in the face if the net hadn't stopped it. AVFC Aston Villa are magic echoing around the ground along with Villa, Villa, Villa! TBF Everton fans were class as well. That Villa team under Saunders had an incredible spirit and just would not be beaten.
Went to Cov on the train and there were thousands of us there. Followed everyone else into the West End, but could have picked anywhere!
What a great time to be a 17 year old! Probably the most exciting Villa team in my lifetime.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal