collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Dennis Mortimer  (Read 5638 times)

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: Happy Birthday Dennis Mortimer
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »
And not one cap for England.

An absolute disgrace that he was never capped. With Mortimer, Morley, Withe, Sid & Shaw in the England Team in the 1982 World Cup we would have won it. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:04:33 AM by JD »

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »

An absolute disgrace that he was never capped. With Mortimer, Morley, Withe & Shaw in the England Team in the 1982 World Cup we would have won it.

They were still in thrall to Keegan and Brooking at the time. And of course anyone who played for Arsenal.

Greenwood was a total blazers choice.

Offline Pete

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »

An absolute disgrace that he was never capped. With Mortimer, Morley, Withe & Shaw in the England Team in the 1982 World Cup we would have won it.

They were still in thrall to Keegan and Brooking at the time. And of course anyone who played for Arsenal.

Greenwood was a total blazers choice.

Keegan and Brooking only played half an hour each, in the last game. The midfield was generally Robson, Wilkins, Rix and Coppell. Dennis would have been a good alternative to Wilkins, and Morley was surely a better option than Rix. And up front? Francis and Mariner. Not the best. Withe was in the squad but didn't get a kick.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Had a mate at college who was a big Cov fan & loved Morty. We'd sometimes go and watch Villa play -we saw him score a goal at the Yawnthorns where animal Cantello nearly crippled Ray Graydon and wasn't even booked!

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
So to cheer us up after a draw (that's kind of good to be able to type that) I managed to dig this out, with my Dad's archiving the detail as well as having taken the snap. (I'm sure he loved taking us there!)
So left to right my older sister Jo, El Capitan, I think my next door neighbour Matthew Cole, me with the 'sport for all' badge sewn onto my tracky, and my long lost blood brother of primary school years Andrew Jones, who I think was quite involved with some Warks cricket scene in later years.

Got a few of these kind of pics, I love it for the clothes, the car, and the wonderful memories of an idyllic childhood of standing on a milk crate in the Holte End, going to my grandparents in Handsworth Wood after home games, the innocent ease of going to meet my heroes and again and again collecting autographs, getting tickled by Peter Withe sitting on his knee, players pet dogs, then being there to watch Dennis lift trophies that crowned us best in the land and on the continent.

Thanks Dennis for not letting us kids down on days like that at BH in being a lovely man and giving our club it's greatest days.

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2017, 11:53:51 PM »
So to cheer us up after a draw (that's kind of good to be able to type that) I managed to dig this out, with my Dad's archiving the detail as well as having taken the snap. (I'm sure he loved taking us there!)
So left to right my older sister Jo, El Capitan, I think my next door neighbour Matthew Cole, me with the 'sport for all' badge sewn onto my tracky, and my long lost blood brother of primary school years Andrew Jones, who I think was quite involved with some Warks cricket scene in later years.

Got a few of these kind of pics, I love it for the clothes, the car, and the wonderful memories of an idyllic childhood of standing on a milk crate in the Holte End, going to my grandparents in Handsworth Wood after home games, the innocent ease of going to meet my heroes and again and again collecting autographs, getting tickled by Peter Withe sitting on his knee, players pet dogs, then being there to watch Dennis lift trophies that crowned us best in the land and on the continent.

Thanks Dennis for not letting us kids down on days like that at BH in being a lovely man and giving our club it's greatest days.

That is just fantastic.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »
Great photo.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »
Bodymoor, either 1978 or 79 (I think, memory's gone a bit). Gray and Gidman were still there and I think Evans had just joined.

Rugged (as was the weather I remember)!

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »

April 81 - On the cusp of greatness! ☺

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
April 81 - On the cusp of greatness! ☺

Yes I thought exactly the same last night myself. Highbury (£1.80!) was May 2nd I think, so that pic was probably less than a month before that trip down South. Matthew Cole next door may have had the villa tracky I was jealous of, but I had Peter Withe sweat bands (not the ones he chucked into the crowd each game alas, but saved my pocket money) and the Season Ticket. Eternally grateful to my dear Dad a few of you have met, we'll be both up from the South for the Reading Game :)

The 7.6 is me being 7 years and 6months btw. Maybe it's time for an old school amateur pics of our heroes thread in memories...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:41:11 PM by purpletrousers »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal