collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Not being doubled  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Richie

Not being doubled
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Following yesterday's win, no team has completed the double over us and with the games remaining, no one can.

When was the last time this happened ? I think you need to go back quite a long way.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Not being doubled
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
1989-90, although we did lose home and away to Middlesbrough in the Zenith Data Systems Cup, the second leg defeat coming after extra time.

1974-75 was the last time nobody beat us twice, including cup games.

In the 1945-46 Football League South nobody doubled us.

The last, peacetime, topflight season in which nobody doubled us (including cups) was 1932-33.

In our two third tier seasons, we avoided any doubles once  (1971-72).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:51:55 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
When you look at some of the dross who have taken four points of us though...

Huddersfield; I appreciate that they are where they are, but they must have had 15 minutes out of 180 plus.

Ipswich
Wolves
Forest
Preston; again a team as workmanlike as that with so little about then are somehow 8th.
Barnsley

Ergh. We will turn it around on our title surge next year.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
I said before the season started that I believed we were better than the great majority of sides in the division. If RDM hadn't fucked up the start by being unable to tactically see out games, and then since the change Bruce didn't have to essentially start the season again resulting in a lot of upheaval, then I believe that our resources and squad depth would have seen us comfortably in a promotion spot. We aren't even playing that well right now and we're beating sides who for the most part are massively average. That's the division we are in and it will be helped by having crap like 3 of Hull, Boro, Swansea, Sunderland come down and teams like Newcastle, Brighton go up. A settled squad, a manager who has done it before, a few transfers in and out and we will be just fine next year.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
The one that really irked me out of that lot was Huddersfield. Some twat at the station wittering on for everyone to hear about how shit we were and how Barcelona/Dortmund lite they were. Oh do fuck off you tinpot tosser. And 180 minutes of pretty much fuck all except a fluky goal at VP and a well worked corner at their place.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
They keep possession better than us and work harder for each other - rather than rubbishing them let's learn from their good points which have kept them top three for most of the season.

Offline Ads

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
I'll rubbish them because in the two games they've played against us they were utter shit.

They must do something right as they're up there. Fuck knows what it is mind and my life hasn't reached such levels where I'll volunteer any more time to watch Huddersfield.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
I'll rubbish them when we're 17 points ahead of them rather than behind them.

Offline Ads

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
I've seen them twice, no scratch that, I saw Brizzle's 4th go in, and they should have been 5 down at Villa Park. They created Jack all, gave the ball back to us and never looked like doing anything at their place.

We will be playing them again next year.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »
The one that really irked me out of that lot was Huddersfield. Some twat at the station wittering on for everyone to hear about how shit we were and how Barcelona/Dortmund lite they were. Oh do fuck off you tinpot tosser. And 180 minutes of pretty much fuck all except a fluky goal at VP and a well worked corner at their place.
Don't agree. I like them and their coach and his style. They are doing very  well with resources at Wagner's disposal.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »
Don't agree. I like them and their coach and his style. They are doing very  well with resources at Wagner's disposal.

Style?! He's German (winky thing) and seems to be from the Tiny Penis tracksuit and baseball cap school of style.

If you mean the club well for the 180 minutes against us they've done pretty much fuck all and despite all the pretty possession play have created the square root of fuck all.

They are doing well with the resources but on the 2 games against us you do have to question how the hell thats happening.

Still mustn't grumble.....

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 12:48:28 AM »
If we are only allowed to take into account games against us then Brighton should be mid-table dross and Brentford are better than the Mighty Magyars. I'm assuming that Huddersfield must have played quite well for most of the season to be where they are in the league. Their manager deserves credit for that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 01:38:55 AM »
Wolves are probably the best side to play at VP this season, fat lot of good it's done them.

Huddersfield spent less in the last 2 seasons than we spent on Gollini. So for them to be 17 points ahead of us, and they have a game in hand, deserves credit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Those sides are better at coming from a goal down than we are.

Have a look at how many points Huddersfield and for that matter Reading have won from being a goal or 2-1 down in games home and away going into the last 20 minutes.

That's the one nagging doubt I have, this good run has come from us scoring first in all the games.

Only game we lost was surprise surprise losing the first goal at Huddersfield.

I'd like us to win a game or two before the end of the season being 1 down early on in a game just to show we can win games in different manners rather than just always needing to score first which won't happen 46 times next season.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Those sides are better at coming from a goal down than we are.

Have a look at how many points Huddersfield and for that matter Reading have won from being a goal or 2-1 down in games home and away going into the last 20 minutes.

That's the one nagging doubt I have, this good run has come from us scoring first in all the games.

Only game we lost was surprise surprise losing the first goal at Huddersfield.

I'd like us to win a game or two before the end of the season being 1 down early on in a game just to show we can win games in different manners rather than just always needing to score first which won't happen 46 times next season.

Teams that are capable of scoring 3 or 4 on a good day have the confidence to win games after going behind.  Teams that grind out 1-0 or 2-0 wins usually lack the confidence to come from behind to win games due to not being able to step up the tempo of the game.  I echo your concern.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal