collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:13:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:13:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:12:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 09:12:00 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 09:11:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 09:10:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:10:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 09:10:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Daily Mail article on Ron Saunders  (Read 19418 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Daily Mail article on Ron Saunders
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 12:02:37 AM »
That seven years was the best of times to have been a Villa supporter. Quite unbelievable when I look back. We were privileged to have had this man as our manager.High time to acknowledge the magnitude of his achievements.

Offline Dlp

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
I very rarely make a post on the site but felt I had to comment about Ron. It's so sad to hear he is in poor health in his twilight years. For me he was Villa's greatest manager, a time when we were top dog. I remembered hearing the news of his resignation and cried, I was 26 years old at the time. We have had some good times since, but for me the Ron Saunders era was the best. We won the European Cup but it was The team that he built, and that is no disrespect to Tony Barton. I wonder if Ron had stayed what we could have gone on to achieve. Ron you are a god and I'm sure all Villa fans will agree.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2017, 03:30:35 AM »
I very rarely make a post on the site but felt I had to comment about Ron. It's so sad to hear he is in poor health in his twilight years. For me he was Villa's greatest manager, a time when we were top dog. I remembered hearing the news of his resignation and cried, I was 26 years old at the time. We have had some good times since, but for me the Ron Saunders era was the best. We won the European Cup but it was The team that he built, and that is no disrespect to Tony Barton. I wonder if Ron had stayed what we could have gone on to achieve. Ron you are a god and I'm sure all Villa fans will agree.

I have always been felt that if Saunders had stayed we would not have won the European cup but we would have remained a top team for longer. However HDE may have had a say in that.

Offline glinch

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 04:02:38 AM »
Howe=

I have always been felt that if Saunders had stayed we would not have won the European cup but we would have remained a top team for longer. However HDE may have had a say in that.

However, who has got his name etched across our stadium. Doesn't make sense.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 11:06:40 PM »

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2018, 11:31:03 PM »
Very interesting read, slight mistake here mind - the game was at St. Andrews where we won 1-0.
Two weeks later, he was back at Villa Park as manager of Birmingham with Blues fans singing, 'We'll take good care of you, Ron Saunders', to the tune of a British Airways TV advert.
And to which we sang back to the same tune “You must be fucking mad, Saunders,Saunders”

Concur with the sentiment that it will be criminal if we don’t rename the North Stand in his honour whilst he is still alive and hopefully be able to understand what he means to us.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:26 PM »
We were privileged to have had this man as our manager.

This times a million.

Reading that article just reminds me of the good times of being a Villa fan. Like at Villa, some players may not have liked him. Tough shit. We, the fans, worshiped him and justifiably so and he loved us back. He took us back to the Big Time, it's just a shame we never had a board that could keep up with the momentum.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2018, 12:01:20 AM »
Those of us that were lucky enough to watch Ron Saunders Aston Villa are indeed privileged.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »
I was at an age back then where I thought all we did was win trophies. I soon learnt.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2018, 06:13:09 AM »
At that time I thought success would last forever. How wrong I was.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
Has anyone read his biography that was published recently? Any good?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
Great article, disappointing there's no mention of the demolition of Liverpool and inflicting their heaviest defeat of the 70s.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
I was at an age back then where I thought all we did was win trophies. I soon learnt.
Same here. In a way I did not really appreciate 80/81/82 because I thought “this is how it’s going to be from now on”

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
Didn’t know this:

He rejected an offer from Manchester United when at Villa and resisted two informal approaches from the FA about the England job, suggesting they spoke first to his club.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
Didn’t he return back to religion sure I gave read that about him. Typical boss though with his players calling him for everything

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal