collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Daily Mail article on Ron Saunders  (Read 19341 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Re: Daily Mail article on Ron Saunders
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
Aston Villa 5 Liverpool 1. The best 90 minutes of football I've ever seen.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
Mr Saunders should have been shown a lot more respect, from the owners, I have said before and I know a lot agree with me, the Witton lane stand should be "The Ron Saunders Stand"..

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
Could you ever see him putting up with the shit from some of our lot since his departure?  I don't think the now often used phrase "Players have too much power" would have registered with him. 

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »
I don't think I'll ever see a better Villa manager in my lifetime. A leader of men.

Offline steamer

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
" wipe the tears baby dears from your eyes"
I doubt we will see his like again, My Villa Hero.

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
Reading that article, in particular this bit...

Then, with his team in the European Cup quarter-finals, he walked out of Villa Park when they tried to change the terms of his contract.

...makes me reflect on how, on the few occasions when we have a top class manager, how careless we are at keeping hold of them.

Okay, so we couldn't do anything about Graham Taylor going off to manage England but the Big Fat Ron sacking was a disaster only averted by hiring Brian Little. As for Sir Brian, I'm sure I recall John Gregory saying that he if had still been on the staff at the time Brian Little quit, he would have talked him into staying. (I believe Brian Little quit with us in the UEFA cup quarter finals? And I'm sure that under Gregory the team's league form recovered immediately and we qualified for Europe once again that same season). And then Martin O'Neill walked out days before the season started and - as difficult as that is to forgive - I seem to recall a tribunal ruled that he was constructively dismissed (or am I imagining that?).

Anyhow, Ron Saunders, Ron Atkinson, Brian Little and Martin O'Neill were all cast aside or allowed to slip away by the Villa. Whereas, the likes of Paul Lambert were almost impossible to get rid off. Makes you wonder what might have been...

...if Ron Saunders had remained in charge throughout the 1980s.
...if Ron Atkinson had done likewise in the 1990s.
...if Brian Little had been given more support.
...if Martin O'Neill had been give the £20 million or so that was quickly splashed on Darren Bent only a few months after.

As an aside, oddly none of the aforementioned managers had much further success post-Villa so the parting of the ways hurt everyone.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »
Proof that even the Daily can occasionally print an article worth reading.

Ron's reign at the Villa more-or-less coincided with my high school years and, perhaps because of that, I always thought of him as a son-of-bitch, hard-as-nails headmaster figure.  But if ever there was right-man, right-place, right-time it was Saunders at the Villa for those six seasons.

Having said that, his departure and subsequent appearance at St Andrew's was the greatest betrayal, but luckily for his reputation among Villa fans in the subsequent decades, winning the European Cup more than sugar-coated the pill.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
I was at villa park for an agm ( not sure if it was late 70's) and sat in the Witton lane stand. Just before the start who should walk in and sit in the seats in front of me...yep...Mr .Saunders himself along with a couple of others who may have been from the minder fraternity. The Bednall''s were there and so was Douglas . I caught a couple of comments he made to his friends and he didn't seem too  complimentary about either party.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
Aston Villa 5 Liverpool 1. The best 90 minutes of football I've ever seen.

45 minutes!

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 08:36:23 PM »
I was fortunate to watch the Villa during the Saunders era. He built three teams of which the 77 one was the most exciting. But it shows what a fantastic manager he was because he built another which won the league and European Cup. He never got the recognition he deserved. Such a shame that he is unwell. Best Villa manager I will probably ever see.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »

Ron's reign at the Villa more-or-less coincided with my high school years and, perhaps because of that, I always thought of him as a son-of-bitch, hard-as-nails headmaster figure.  But if ever there was right-man, right-place, right-time it was Saunders at the Villa for those six seasons.

Having said that, his departure and subsequent appearance at St Andrew's was the greatest betrayal, but luckily for his reputation among Villa fans in the subsequent decades, winning the European Cup more than sugar-coated the pill.

Hard as nails is about right, look at the guns on the bugger.  You wouldn't mess.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »
Rather than Tony spunking his money on a load of old cock in the Championship, he should sink it into making the DeLorean finally serviceable.

What price a time travelling Ron Saunders on hand for when we started to wilt in Feb/March 1990, March 1993 or May 2000.

Or at any point last season, just to test his boxing theories out on Lescott, Micah and Gabby. Constantly.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »

Hard as nails is about right, look at the guns on the bugger.  You wouldn't mess.

He always seemed old to me. It's mad, being old myself now and realising how young he was when we won the league. 48?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
Can the thread title be changed to Daily Heil? I'm fussy with details like that.

Offline CorkVilla

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Christ Saunders was in great shape when he was a manager. How old would he have been then, 50 odd? He has that physique you dont see anymore...a natural fitness honed by hard work and hard running more than flexing his pecs in the gym.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal