collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Am I the only one....  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
Am I the only one....
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:59 AM »
....that only cares about the Villa? I mean that I literally can't stir up any interest in any other team than the Villa. Even the recent Barcelona walking on water performance couldn't get me going.

With the upcoming international break upon us, I couldn't give a monkey's other than a cheeky little accumulator I have placed.

Do others feel as disassociated with the sport as I do, or are you somebody that will watch anything?

Offline tomd2103

Re: Am I the only one....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »
....that only cares about the Villa? I mean that I literally can't stir up any interest in any other team than the Villa. Even the recent Barcelona walking on water performance couldn't get me going.

With the upcoming international break upon us, I couldn't give a monkey's other than a cheeky little accumulator I have placed.

Do others feel as disassociated with the sport as I do, or are you somebody that will watch anything?

I'm feeling increasingly like that.  Once I've watched Villa play, I have little interest in watching any other games that weekend.  I will watch our goals again on Channel 5, but then only watch bits here and there.  Can't remember the last time I sat down and watched a game that didn't involve us or watched the whole of Match of the Day. 

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19:11 AM »
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to even care about the Villa these days.  It's part defence mechanism to numb myself to the misery they cause, and part a declining interest in football generally.

Other than the European Championships, and MOTD, I haven't even watched much football on telly over the last couple of seasons - I can't even be bothered to watch the big Premier League/Champions League games even though I could easily access them for free.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »
I've been like that or years.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »
As a kid I would watch any and every televised game - although they were much rarer then.  Now I can barely be bothered to watch any, even if Villa are on.  As for Barcelona's "walking on water performance" Suarez and Neymar were not so much walking on it as diving in.  The fact they got away with it and many people dismiss it and still rave about the performance is one of the many reasons I can barely be bothered to watch any more. 

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:51 AM »
I've watched less football on tv this season as I've been at every Villa game, but I do still enjoy good football as well - especially the Champions League.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:53:37 AM »
Terrible, terrible thread title. Most annoying. But yes, I am like you. I am only bothered about us.

Offline peter w

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:59 AM »
I do find it hard to watch football as a neutral and therefore watch relatively little. Because of Villa I only watch Villa games - I can't watch Championship and have absolutely no interest in The Premier League, Championsd League or anything else. Every now and then I'll fancy watching a bit of football and I'll give a passing game a minute or two to reel me in, otherwise I won't bother. I do watch England games - all of them - also. However, it would be unthinkable for me to miss a Villa game but i could miss an England game.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 06:44:12 AM »
I am a Villa fan, not a football fan.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »
Not alone there, I'm exactly the same. I very rarely watch any football anymore or read up on other stories. That's why any new signing or potential ITK means absolutely nothing to me as I have no bloody idea who they are.

I've been like this for years.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:28 AM »
During the last 6 years or so I have found that should we win I treat football as I always have, watch the highlights of other games, take an interest in the general goings on.

However, should we lose, as has so often been the case, I practically turn my back on the game. Every Sunday became a ritual of deleting MOTD without watching a second. I have done that a few times this season (along with that CH5 programme). I could find no joy at all in any other games, and the sight of other fans celebrating was just too much. I am hoping this will lift as a result of an extended period of "not being as shit".

We went on the Villa Park tour on Sunday, whilst stood at pitch side, the enemy remarked that it might be nice to attend tours elsewhere such as Wembley or Barcelona. "No thanks" I replied, when she enquired why not I gave her the old Acker "92 league clubs etc" which she has heard so many times before. She just rolled her eyes and made her way back up the tunnel.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »
I only watch us and have zero interest in any other football, i look at the table but cant be arsed even looking at the other championship results

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 07:07:49 AM »
I love the Villa big part of my life always has been and always will be. i do like Rangers but no where near the Villa

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »
I'm the same. Couldn't tell you the last non villa game i watched. Probable one in the Euros.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:28 AM »
I was at Sutton Town a couple of weeks ago, both the Villa and Sutton were 1 goal up with not long to go and I thought to myself "I'd be more gutted if Sutton let a goal in now than if Villa did".

But my antipathy for the Villa stretches back far longer than that, not sure if it's the succession of crap performance after crap performance, the disassociation I felt from our crop of players all these years, the disassociation I feel from top level football in general or the growing up having kids thing but it's there and I doubt I will ever get it back.

I've been saying for ages football in this country will break apart massively at some point but I'm really not sure it will anymore. It's just so so globally huge that it would take something almighty to cause it to crash. Fair play to the people in charge, they've achieved exactly what they set out to do and have proved their business model to be very fruitful indeed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:57:41 AM by ACVilla »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal