collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: songs we used to sing  (Read 34009 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: songs we used to sing
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
It's usually at this point in any thread about songs that I complain about the under 30s, drum and bass and people seemingly these days being unable to clap in time to a song. It is also at this point that I realise I'm turning into an old fart/my Dad/miserable middle aged git and we're outnumbered by the Soccer AM Bantz generation.

Sigh.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »
supercallifragalisticalbionarehopeless

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »
You're welcome. Not only is the original version much better it tracks better too(listen to me like I know what I'm talking about) so that you can actually sing the song more than once! The newer version just tends to fade out after one line. Blinking millennials! No staying power!

All together now "And it's Aston Villa, Aston Villa FC - We're by far the greatest........ The world has ever seen!....And it's Aston Villa, Aston Villa FC"

What was the song about walking up to the steps of the Holte and spotting a young blues fan all cut up? Can never remember the words

A Holte End Lament. If you ask nicely Percy will post the lyrics. Probably my favourite Villa song.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
Come on you Lions

The simple Villa *clap clap clap* Villa... that was so deafening in games like Tranmere and Atletico. So simple and loud yet we don't do it anymore.

That was so powerful. The heartbeat of an army marching and breathing as one. It must have been something that lifted the players for it certainly made my blood run claret and blue.

Online steamer

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
The Haunting,  Viiiila, Viiila,Viiila, Viiila.
Agree, Aston Villa, Aston Villa fc Were the greatest the world has ever seen and its Aston Villa, Aston Villa Fc .
Anyone who had the misfortune to be on the number 14 bus (late service)home with me in the mid 70,s would have seen me serenading all and sundry with the above.
To be effective a song sang by many has  to be simple, catchy, (and or humorous) and emotive.
Holte Enders in the sky was a song sang on the coach and in the pubs as it had many verses, today the simple version works on the terraces and is instantly regognisable as Villa fans in good voice.
The older songs are best witnessed in the tavern and like all traditions should be passed down to the next generation.
For the match keep it loud, proud and Villa

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2017, 08:20:29 AM »
I also wish we would do the slow version of 'Villaaa, Villlaaaaa...' more. The original tune was of course Amazing Grace, now it sounds nothing like it.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2017, 04:47:22 PM »
I remember singing Big Fat Ron's Claret and Blue Army throughout the entire half time at the Baseball Ground (if memory serves)
Jozef Venglos Claret and Blue Army, the whole half time break in the San Siro, the Italins didn't know what the fk was going on, brilliant!

I was there and it was amazing. Just before the kick off the Inter 'skins' running towards the Villa fans that was sectioned off by plastic screening then thinking better of it when loads the Villa responded in kind.

And that ball went out for the third goal.
I was also there and remember it well, singing all the way through half time. Some of their fans unveiled a banner right in front of us at the end of the game, something like "Villa go home."
That 3rd goal was well out before the cross.
I presume it was Mr Weir who took some pics, I was in one in the news and record shortly after, my only real Villa claim to fame.Any aficionado out there that could post the pictures for old times sake? My programmes etc, are miles and miles away. :(

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
Obladi oblada
We're the Villa
La la la
We've won again

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2017, 11:41:21 PM »
Come down any old time down to Villa Park
The board of directors will show you around
In Aston they say that we're wembley bound
Steeped in  tradition are we
We're won the cup  7 times
So sing up the terrace, sing up on the stands
Sing up the Villa up
We're the Villa we're the Villa
We  are the champions

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
Obladi oblada
We're the Villa
La la la
We've won again
[/quote

I've never heard that one before, it needs to be resurrected!

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
His name is Andy Gray
Alf Ramsey on a seaside pier
Across our fair city
On his horse
6ft 2 eyes of blue, Samis song
Andy Lochead in the air
Do you believe in the Villa, best lead by Clarkey
Come to Birmingham and you will see
Brian the wonder boy
Popular songs changed for the story at the time. Who's up Mary Brown
Original Tracey Andrews song to Alfie Roberts and his love of coppers.
To the away fans through the fence or not in years gone bye, Back to school on Monday
Wipe that snot of the end of your nose
100 years and you've won f..k all City, City.
Especially for the cockneys, FA FAC FACK FACK ORF
I was born under the Holte End stand
Tip toe through the Tilton
Silver lining with the toe caps shining and the razor in the crombie lining

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
One other one , not a song but a poem, best and probably only remembered by Burglar Bill and recited by him, about the night he broke into St. Andrews, last redeition I heard was in the Wembley Hilton before Arsenal, marvelous.

Offline peter75

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
Sing up the Villa up
We  are the champions

What tune was that to?

I may be getting this mixed up with another teams song but was there ever anything sung to Quo's Matchstick men?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
Sing up the Villa up
We  are the champions

What tune was that to?

I may be getting this mixed up with another teams song but was there ever anything sung to Quo's Matchstick men?

to the tune of Come down any old time ha ha.

I am aghast that some of these songs have just been lost in our history.  Even When your smiling which was the most sang song at Blackburn when we played them in the cup late 70's/1980 is never ever sang.  People don't believe it is a proper song when I sing it now. 

how I hate the new  songs such as everywhere we go and the pride of birmingham - give me we're all pissed up and we're off to wembley or 7 times we're won the cup any day.  As for Que sera  - I would twat anyone who sings that next to me - never was, never adopted as a Villa song.  We went out of our way not to sing it in the 70's.

Offline peter75

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 04:08:15 PM »
Sing up the Villa up
We  are the champions

What tune was that to?

to the tune of Come down any old time ha ha.

I am aghast that some of these songs have just been lost in our history.  Even When your smiling which was the most sang song at Blackburn when we played them in the cup late 70's/1980 is never ever sang.  People don't believe it is a proper song when I sing it now. 

how I hate the new  songs such as everywhere we go and the pride of birmingham - give me we're all pissed up and we're off to wembley or 7 times we're won the cup any day.  As for Que sera  - I would twat anyone who sings that next to me - never was, never adopted as a Villa song.  We went out of our way not to sing it in the 70's.
Thanks, I guess it was an old music hall song? I've not come across that tune before. The depth of songs was a lot better then, more complex songs. 
I know Everton and Leicester used to do When you're smiling with the whole world doing Que Sera!
Were any of the Irish songs ever adapted such as Boys of the old brigade or Dublin in the Green?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal