collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Neglected Heroes: Aston Villa Early 80s  (Read 5550 times)

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: Neglected Heroes: Aston Villa Early 80s
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
One other mistake in the article is describing Des Bremner as a holding midfielder and that Swain would overlap Cowans (rather than Bremner himself)

Offline peter w

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
The article is full of mistakes but doesn't detract from the overall theme.

Weren't the wages and bonuses of the time published by someone ob here a while ago? Shaw getting a £5 bonus for each goal or something like that?

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 10:54:41 AM »
saunders biography comes out next month. It will be essential reading.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
From what I can gather it is just a biography, not input from Ron so I doubt we'll learn anything new from it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:01:47 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
What a good read thanks for posting.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
It was a strange situation. Bendall had fallen out with Saunders and wasn't bothered about success because he didn't like football and had gradually bought his shareholding as a hobby for Don, his idiot son.   

5.40 on this tells you just what success meant to old man Bendall.

Incidentally his son Don was an idiot. My Dad was on a fundraising committee at the club in a voluntary capacity. There was a discussion about how much the club shop had to pay when supporters bought scarves/souvenirs with these new fangled  credit cards. The credit card company might be taking say 3% which of course cut into the profit margin and it was felt time for an approach to be made to try and negotiate better terms. Donald pipes up and suggested pushing for 5%.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »
What was the reaction amongst Villa fans when Saunders became Blues manager a week later. Was there anger?..Did Ron suddenly become enemy No1 ...or was there sympathy towards him?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
We played a few days after he quit and i'm sure a few lads ran from the Holte to the center circle with a banner saying something like "Please stay Ron", i'm convinced that happened and i'm not imagining seeing it, anyone else remember it?
I was only 12 but I thought he was a bit of a **** for joining them if i'm honest, so did a lot of the Villa fans I knew back then. Time heals and all that and now I remember Ron with much love, but i'm not going to pretend that's not what I thought back then.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »
What was the reaction amongst Villa fans when Saunders became Blues manager a week later. Was there anger?..Did Ron suddenly become enemy No1 ...or was there sympathy towards him?

I don't recall anger or sympathy. If I remember it right, I was just shocked. Shocked that he left and shocked that he joined them.

There were a few anti-Saunders chants when we went to St Andrews a few days later but I couldn't quite bring myself to join in.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
I was 16, and probably much like a 12 yo it wasn't life changing, I do however, remember my uncle smashing a plate on the kitchen floor when he heard the news. I was shitting myself!

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »

I don't recall anger or sympathy. If I remember it right, I was just shocked. Shocked that he left and shocked that he joined them.

There were a few anti-Saunders chants when we went to St Andrews a few days later but I couldn't quite bring myself to join in.

The one I remember was "you must be fucking mad, Saunders, Saunders". Which seemed more pitying than angry.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »

The one I remember was "you must be fucking mad, Saunders, Saunders". Which seemed more pitying than angry.

Yes I remember that one

Offline peter w

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 04:49:07 AM »
I remember seeing a picture of him in the mail sitting on their bench for a game and it just looked so so wrong.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »

I remember that so well also, didn't we play them literally a couple of days after he took over there - I think it was probably also sung out of sheer disbelief. 

Offline ez

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »

I remember that so well also, didn't we play them literally a couple of days after he took over there - I think it was probably also sung out of sheer disbelief. 

Yes we sang that and to the same tune, "You'll be the first to go... Worthington... Worthington" at Frank Worthington.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal