collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:38:02 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby 2016 - 2017  (Read 23077 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Domestic and European Rugby 2016 - 2017
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2017, 07:19:15 AM »
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but it is looking very likely that two South African sides will join the Pro12 from next season, taking it up to 14.  Rumours are that a third side were also interested in joining.

I think this is them testing the waters of a move to NH rugby, as their Super Rugby deal is up in 2020.

Yes, Cheetahs and Kings making it up to 14.

Apparently Zebre, an Italian club side could drop out in the future to be replaced by an American team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40653822

I'm surprised the SA teams have got in before the americans if I'm honest, I'd been expecting that for a while.  I still think there's more changes to come there as well because there's a lo9t of pressure to let Romania, Georgia and maybe even Russia join the party and I suspect Canada will be pushing for a place once a US team does join.  I can honestly see it splitting into 2 leagues and ending up a bit like the mess for super rugby if they're not careful.

Think the South Africans have got their eyes on the English and French big boys in the RCC1 tournament and as I said, I think this is just them testing the waters in the NH especially as the games will be in the sort of same time zone. Would not surprise me at all to see the remaining teams join the two in 2020, as Super Rugby seems to be struggling a bit and especially if they were given the chance to all be in the same conference.

It already looks like it is going to be split into two conferences and there is talk of interest from a team in the US and in Germany.  Interesting times ahead.

According to the link above the South Africans won't be able to qualify for the Champions Cup, so, unless that changes in the future the English and French big boys won't come into it.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
Season starts next week, predictions for the top 4?

I'll go Saracens, Wasps, Leicester, Saints.

So I got that wrong.

This year:

Saracens, Leicester, Wasps, Exeter

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2017, 02:43:28 AM »
Season starts next week, predictions for the top 4?

I'll go Saracens, Wasps, Leicester, Saints.

So I got that wrong.

This year:

Saracens, Leicester, Wasps, Exeter

Those 4 plus bath and saints as the top 6, wasps and sarries top 4 with 2 from 4.

Saints have lost picamoles but have a much more balanced squad this year, Francis and Tuitavake are a massive step up.  They were brilliant in the first preseason game yesterday apparently.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »
Gloucester will be in a relegation scrap.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but it is looking very likely that two South African sides will join the Pro12 from next season, taking it up to 14.  Rumours are that a third side were also interested in joining.

I think this is them testing the waters of a move to NH rugby, as their Super Rugby deal is up in 2020.

Yes, Cheetahs and Kings making it up to 14.

Apparently Zebre, an Italian club side could drop out in the future to be replaced by an American team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40653822

I'm surprised the SA teams have got in before the americans if I'm honest, I'd been expecting that for a while.  I still think there's more changes to come there as well because there's a lo9t of pressure to let Romania, Georgia and maybe even Russia join the party and I suspect Canada will be pushing for a place once a US team does join.  I can honestly see it splitting into 2 leagues and ending up a bit like the mess for super rugby if they're not careful.

Think the South Africans have got their eyes on the English and French big boys in the RCC1 tournament and as I said, I think this is just them testing the waters in the NH especially as the games will be in the sort of same time zone. Would not surprise me at all to see the remaining teams join the two in 2020, as Super Rugby seems to be struggling a bit and especially if they were given the chance to all be in the same conference.

It already looks like it is going to be split into two conferences and there is talk of interest from a team in the US and in Germany.  Interesting times ahead.

According to the link above the South Africans won't be able to qualify for the Champions Cup, so, unless that changes in the future the English and French big boys won't come into it.

Not this season, but I think there are plans that they could in the future.  That happens and I think there is a very good chance that the rest of their Super Rugby teams will follow when their current deal runs out in 2020.  Read somewhere as well that their cut of the Pro14 deals are in Sterling, so again that is attractive to them. 

Watch this space on that front methinks.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal