collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conceding/Scoring the first goal.  (Read 3253 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Conceding/Scoring the first goal.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
We created enough chances in the first half to have gone in a couple of goals up but we maybe don't create enough over the course of the game. To say we don't even try though is ridiculous.

Chances created before we have conceded are irrelevant in the context of this thread. I'd also say we don't try hard enough when we go behind, considering we haven't picked up a single point away from home all season when it's happened.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »
We created enough chances in the first half to have gone in a couple of goals up but we maybe don't create enough over the course of the game. To say we don't even try though is ridiculous.

Chances created before we have conceded are irrelevant in the context of this thread.

Well not really. The thread title does say 'scoring the first goal' which in most away games as been our problem.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »
Other teams when losing throw the shackles off and play like they've got nothing to lose, look at Preston at VP. We just continue to play in the same manner, we never seem to just go hell for leather and throw everything at it.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »

Chances created before we have conceded are irrelevant in the context of this thread.

Well not really. The thread title does say 'scoring the first goal' which in most away games as been our problem.

OK but if we are relying on taking the lead in our away games to get anything out of them we will never really progress. The bigger concern for me is having no plan whatsoever how to get back into these games when we go behind, as I'd guess that the away side goes behind in over 50% of games.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:03 AM »

OK but if we are relying on taking the lead in our away games to get anything out of them we will never really progress. The bigger concern for me is having no plan whatsoever how to get back into these games when we go behind, as I'd guess that the away side goes behind in over 50% of games.

I agree. Not taking our chances though is also costing us though like it has done a few times this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
Not sure if you've watched the game, not even trying? Utter nonsense.

TBF Ads first half was one of our best away halves of the season.

My point though is once we go 1 nil down....where are the shots hitting the post, corners being cleared off the line, even a succession of corners which we had at the end of the first half. All building up the pressure to get an equaliser and maybe even a winner.

I just don't understand how the team can offer so little when we go 1 down....there were still about 25 minutes left when Huddersfield scored.

Such a brittle mentality that needs to change next season.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
The last time we scored an equalizer in an away match......................................Newcastle December 2015!

Other teams do it all the time at Villa Park. Bruce has inherited this problem (not yet solved it). Since O'Neil left we have been even flakier than an Arsenal team facing Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

Once we fall behind in an away match, even if it's early on, you may as well ask the stewards the way out the away end and to the nearest pub because Villa will not get a result.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
Not even sure this is something that will improve next season under Bruce. It's a mentality thing for me, and if he hasn't managed to improve it in nearly 6 months, I'm not sure why he will in the next 6. The way he plays means that if we concede, because our mentality was cautious to start with, we struggle to change even though we need to.
The sit deep, fill the midfield and keep it at nil is a mentality thing.
Then we concede and you know the rest.
As Mike Tyson said, "every body has a strategy until you punch them in the face"

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »

I agree. Not taking our chances though is also costing us though like it has done a few times this season.

The problem at this level is the conversion rate of chances.  These are not PL level players.  Yes, you can get lucky (or in our case, unlucky when the opposition score from one or two chances) but most of the time you are going to need more chances.

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
where are the actual statistics? This thread is talking about stats that are not available. You need to give a link to the figures you are using or the rest of us are in the dark and cannot comment.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
4th post

By my reckoning

Under RDM
If we scored first we were W1 D3 L1
if they scored first we were W0 D2 L2

Under SB
If we score first W9 D4 L1
if they score first W1 D1 L9

For a total of
We score W10 D7 L2
they score W1 D3 L11
Plus there's been two 0-0 games.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
where are the actual statistics? This thread is talking about stats that are not available. You need to give a link to the figures you are using or the rest of us are in the dark and cannot comment.

Unless you have a bad memory surely you can just think of at least 5 away games off the top of your head when we've conceded first and lost....e.g goal down at Newcastle, PNE, Leeds, last night, Cardiff, Wolves, Norwich and we've lost.

And all those times at VP when we've scored first and gone onto win like the last two home games.

As far as I'm aware the only games that have bucked the trend this season were scoring away first at Forest and Bristol and we lost both and conceding first at home to Blackburn and winning that.

I have to say winning just one game after falling behind this season at the level we're at and what we've invested is totally staggering.

We won an FA cup semi final after failing behind with an awful premier league team to give some perspective.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
And as Des said, we've conceded first in 9 away games this season and lost all 9 without scoring. 10 if you include Spurs. To not even score 1 goal away from home after going 1-0 down is piss poor.

Offline ez

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
Other teams when losing throw the shackles off and play like they've got nothing to lose, look at Preston at VP. We just continue to play in the same manner, we never seem to just go hell for leather and throw everything at it.

It reminds me of McLeish settling for low scoring defeats rather than trying for an equaliser.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
We are carrying too many poor footballers in the team to be chasing equalisers. With the likes of Elphick we can't push up and play a high line to squeeze teams in their own half. Jedinak is a passenger if we go behind and the likes of Hutton and Baker guarantee a prompt return of the ball to the opposition. Kodjia doesn't appear to try a leg when we go direct either. Up until recently anyway, we weren't getting any midfielders breaking into the box and our set piece threat is negligble.

Ideally Lansbury and Hourihane would be a bit braver to keep demanding the ball to feet. They have the technical ability but I'm not sure about their application to be honest. Both appear to prefer picking up handy ball. Shelvey on the other hand drops deep constantly to get Newcastle moving, Mooy likewise for Huddersfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal