collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park - Witton - Bham New Street  (Read 2642 times)

Offline baldryk

Villa Park - Witton - Bham New Street
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:51:08 AM »
There's a chance I might be in the UK for a couple of days and able to get to the Reading game on 15 April. However I need to make connections involving international travel therefore book ahead. And in all the years I've never been to Villa Park on the train, plus I haven't been to the UK for years, so I'm after some advice.

If it's a 3PM KO, can I make it to Birmingham New Street for a 6.10PM train? There are apparently trains from Witton at 5.17 and 5.42 getting in before 6. Can I rely on them?

Also I presume that there won't be any issue getting tickets to the game?

Thanks

Online Deano's Mullet

Re: Villa Park - Witton - Bham New Street
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:52:15 AM »
Twin wise you will get to New Street no problem.I usually get a train home from New Street at 7.10 but I am usually back in the city centre by half five at least, this season it's been fairly quick getting up to the Witton platform top and onto the trains which are a squeeze getting on but V V regular. And that's leaving the ground at final whistle, not early. Ordering tickets is dead easy, I usually book them online in advance.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 06:53:22 AM »
Twin wise you will get to New Street no problem.I usually get a train home from New Street at 7.10 but I am usually back in the city centre by half five at least, this season it's been fairly quick getting up to the Witton platform top and onto the trains which are a squeeze getting on but V V regular. And that's leaving the ground at final whistle, not early. Ordering tickets is dead easy, I usually book them online in advance.

Train wise even! Damn auto spell

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »
It's only a little over 2 miles from New Street to Villa Park. So I would walk it, both ways.
Can there be any finer sight than seeing the home of football across the grounds of Aston Hall on a fine spring day ?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
An alternative is to walk to Aston station, slightly further away but trains are every ten minutes into New St.

Online luke95

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »
It's only a little over 2 miles from New Street to Villa Park. So I would walk it, both ways.
Can there be any finer sight than seeing the home of football across the grounds of Aston Hall on a fine spring day ?

If your familiar with the route Shanks's pony will get you there in plenty of time.
Alternatively a black cab from Trinity Rd will easily get you there for about £12.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
Aston Station to New Street is a piece of piss. Don't bother with Witton, you'll have to liaise with horrid, smelly, away fans. You'll have no problem getting match tickets but buy in advance, don't expect to turn up on the day and be able to pay on the door.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
I think they put additional trains in before and after the game. The train line has 6 trains that will get to new Street before 6 from Witton.

Offline baldryk

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the train advice, have worked out a plan.

I know there are a few 'best seats' threads around, but am I right in thinking Trinity upper for someone who doesn't sing or see as well as he used to? Back in the day I was in the Holte End left side, occasionally Trinity if I was there with away supporting friends. I'm guessing tix will appear online in the next week or so.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »

I know there are a few 'best seats' threads around, but am I right in thinking Trinity upper for someone who doesn't sing or see as well as he used to? Back in the day I was in the Holte End left side, occasionally Trinity if I was there with away supporting friends. I'm guessing tix will appear online in the next week or so.

Top tier of the Trinity is closed for the majority of games.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »

How well did you used to sing? 😉

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »

Top tier of the Trinity is closed for the majority of games.

And if you can't see you wouldn't stand a chance up there.  Upper Witton would be a better bet.

Offline baldryk

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 04:18:18 AM »
Just an update on how it went. Got the train into New Street and then met up with my sis, all worked out good.

We were early so pork roll and a couple of Doom Bars (I think) on leather couches at the Aston Tavern. Went looking for a paver on the Trinity side that I received as a present when they redeveloped, but a lot of them are pretty faded and couldn't find it. Went to the store and bought a discounted shirt because all the non replica gear was awful.

I'd got the tickets through Seatwave because they were available early, and the official site release date was right on my travel dates. Witton upper P6 CC front row centre line, £30 each. The absolute perfect TV view of the action.

Crowd was quiet there, not unexpected, with some guys behind who wanted 3 or 4 in the box and balls pumped into them for every attack or they'd complain about it. Dreary and dated stand, with an awful concourse - felt like a tunnel to get to an actual concourse. Exchange rate was good for the beer prices but the half time queues and food options were average.

The view, weather and being at VP for the first time in 15 years made up for the crappy stand, happy to watch the atmosphere being generated in other parts of the ground, and really enjoyed the first half.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:19:49 AM by baldryk »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal