collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 42 Years ago today  (Read 2594 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

42 Years ago today
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
1-3-1975  -  Villa 1, Norwich 0

Won the League Cup (for the second time) at Wembley in what I'm sure is the only ever major final to be contested by two teams outside the top division.

I seem to remember more about the train journey to and from Wembley than the actual game itself, but for anyone my age (I was 17 at the time) other than the 3rd Division title 3 years earlier this was the first trophy I'd seen us win.

I do remember Mel Machin handling Chris Nichol's header on the line but I couldn't bring myself to watch the penalty and just looked the other way, when I heard a collective intake a breath (when Kevin Keelan saved Ray Graydon's spot kick) I remember looking up bemused at what had happened to see Graydon bang the rebound in.

A tremendous day all round.

Anyone else care to share ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:40:59 AM by castlefields_villan »

Offline hutchavfc

Re: 42 Years ago today
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
1075 was a long time ago!

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »
Ooooops - corrected !

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
I've still got the vinyl LP of the match commentary....

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
My first ever time to London as an 11 year old and was taken to the greyhound pub beforehand and what an atmosphere. Remember being behind the goal for the penalty and the ensuing rebound and also witnessing a great display by Kevin Keelan in the Norwich goal. Great save by Mel Machin to be fair as well 

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
It wasn't a great game but we got the result. It was the days when the losing side also did a lap of honour and I remember us giving them a round of applause as they passed. It took ages to get off the coach park.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »
Seventeen year old and my first time at Wembley. I also visited the Greyhound pub fantastic atmosphere full of Villa. Inside the ground (terrace standing of course) was fantastic, with lots of home made flags and banners. I believe the Tv quote was "A much relieved Ray Graydon was there to put it in". One of my best memories was the entire Villa end applauding and cheering the defeated Norwich off the field, true class

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »
Seventeen year old and my first time at Wembley. I also visited the Greyhound pub fantastic atmosphere full of Villa. Inside the ground (terrace standing of course) was fantastic, with lots of home made flags and banners. I believe the Tv quote was "A much relieved Ray Graydon was there to put it in". One of my best memories was the entire Villa end applauding and cheering the defeated Norwich off the field, true class

Classic words from a great commentator - of course even more famous words he spoke concluded our greatest goal - so pleased we made a feature of this line across the North Stand - RIP Brian Moore.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »
42 years ago hey! God Castlefields your always making me feel so old.I can still remember the penalty ,Graydon missing it but putting the rebound in after Keelan had saved It  was extra sweet for Ron Saunders i remember, as he had fallen out with the then Norwich chairman Robert Chase who was never short or a word or two and also their equally  outspoken manager John Bond who had been telling everyone in the media how they were going to beat the Villa  with the likes of their prolific strikers Boyer and MacDougall Happy Days indeed

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »
My first ever time to London as an 11 year old and was taken to the greyhound pub beforehand and what an atmosphere. Remember being behind the goal for the penalty and the ensuing rebound and also witnessing a great display by Kevin Keelan in the Norwich goal. Great save by Mel Machin to be fair as well 

I thought Machin was an absolute cheat. I'm sure Chris Nicholl felt the same as well. He only got booked as well - he'd be sent-off today. Imagine the scenario if Keelan had saved the penalty and Norwich somehow won?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »
My first trip to Wembley and all my dad could get off a touted was 2 tickets for the Norwich end. My overriding memory was of the old man buying me a small replica of the cup with our colour ribbons on. On the couch it got passed around everyone as it was kept being filled with whiskey. I did not get a sniff as I was only 11 :(  my mom eventually made me bin it as it stunk the house out

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »

God saves but Graydon scores on the rebound.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
A wonderful day for me as a 15 year old. Through work in the 80s I used to meet Ian Ross on a regular basis and never failed to remind him of that day.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
My 2nd Wembley final with my late Dad following the 1971 Spurs defeat, I clearly remember Ian Ross lifting the trophy to which I burst into tears, promotion then followed, what a great season.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
John bond with his pre match digs at Saunders and villa. The game was nearly as poor as the final in 77 but we won both so happy days

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal