collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Butterfly Effect  (Read 4479 times)

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
The Butterfly Effect
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
Does this annoy anyone else?

A colleague of mine is a Saints fan and is, understandably, upset about Sunday's result and he keeps banging on about the offside goal. In his mind the score is 3-3 and Gabbiadini has been denied a hat-trick.

No matter how hard I try I cant explain to him about the butterfly effect. If the offside goal is not disallowed then the entire game from that moment on plays out differently. Maybe it leads to a different result maybe it doesn't. Maybe it leads to Gabbiadini scoring a hat-trick maybe it doesn't. But you can say with almost 100% certainty that nothing that followed that moment would happen exactly the same as it did. He disagrees and believes the same moves and the same chances and the same goals would have all followed.

It brought to mind all of those times a commentator says, "Villa should have had 3 or 4 goals already", or, "Gabby could have had a hat-trick tonight". I always end up tutting at the telly. Anyone else?

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: The Butterfly Effect
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
The same as. - 'If we'd gone through we'd have drawn x team'

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
If Dowd had sent off Vidic like he should have done, we would have won more silverware and not be in the position we are now

Offline cdward

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
Liverpool will still buy Gabbiadini

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »
LeeS - it annoys me as well, and have had many frustrating discussions over it, it's like banging your head against brick wall isn't it.
In Sunday's case had the goal been given the game would have restarted from a kick-off instead of on the edge of the six-yard box. Everything from that point on would have played out differently - not just at Wembley, but across the whole world. For instance, I might have carried on watching instead of going for a walk like I did when United went one up. On my walk I stopped and had a moan about the Villa with a Wolves fan I know, so his life has now also taken a different path to what it would have done too, etc etc.

As for Vidic being sent off, Milner might not have scored the penalty if Vidic had gone as it would have been taken at a different moment in time.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
Barry should have taken the penalty. We may well be premier league champions by now

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
It totally annoys me as well and worst of all is used by so called commentators too (Martin Tyler on Sunday for example).

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
.......and to top it off, even if it had played out exactly the same, Saints were clearly tiring at the end and would probably have lost in extra time anyway!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »
I still cant believe how well saints played and Black is the coach there.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
If Dowd had sent off Vidic like he should have done, we would have won more silverware and not be in the position we are now

Preach it.

Owen almost certainly would not have been brought on when he was with a defender requiring replacing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:20:17 AM by Ads »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »
Owen started.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
Owen started.

Yes, it was Shrek who came on.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
Owen started.

That's right. He went off early, but not until he'd scored.

I recall now, is that I believe Fergie would have taken him off for a centre, as he wasn't fit.

Cheating fucker that Staffs Red, Dowd.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »
The same as. - 'If we'd gone through we'd have drawn x team'

Forgive my geekiness but in the FA Cup, this can be true as the number that you are assigned in the draw relates to the order that the previous draw was made.

For example, if Villa are drawn out of the hat in the first tie of the 3rd round , ourselves or the opponents would be ball 1 in the 4th round draw

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »
When England had that goal disallowed against Germany in the 2010 World Cup the standard line was that it wouldn't have mattered because we ended up being battered 4-1. Again, total bollocks. England might have still got turned over by a superior German team but it doesn't mean that it wasn't a horrifically bad call which cost England a legitimate goal. No-one seems to mention it either, unlike the Hand of God. Then again, we'd have drawn that 1-1 of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal