collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 89274 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
Yes big weekend coming up - 2 tough games v Yorks and Lancs. Need minimum 1 win to keep us in the mix for qualification.

I still think Clarke has something to offer when fit, OHD is the worst bowler I've ever seen play for the club.

Apart from one producing one of the best spells I have seen at Lords last September, I'd agree that OHD is a definite weak link.  I honestly think he would go around the park in the Birmingham League.

It actually really annoys me that he gets a game regularly for Warwicks. He'd be very, very lucky to even get a game somewhere like Derby or Leicester. How can a 6 foot 7 bloke send down that dibbly-dobbly shite at a speed somewhere between slow and static?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »
Yes big weekend coming up - 2 tough games v Yorks and Lancs. Need minimum 1 win to keep us in the mix for qualification.

I still think Clarke has something to offer when fit, OHD is the worst bowler I've ever seen play for the club.

Apart from one producing one of the best spells I have seen at Lords last September, I'd agree that OHD is a definite weak link.  I honestly think he would go around the park in the Birmingham League.

It actually really annoys me that he gets a game regularly for Warwicks. He'd be very, very lucky to even get a game somewhere like Derby or Leicester. How can a 6 foot 7 bloke send down that dibbly-dobbly shite at a speed somewhere between slow and static?

There are a few in the Warwickshire squad who are borderline county standard.  Thomason is another one who has got hammered to all parts pretty much every time I've seen him bowl. 

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »

He's just signed a contract extension.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40105583

He bowled well in the 2014 T20 final when we beat Lancashire. He took 3-31 off 4 overs and I thought we'd got a decent player on our hands.

I do wonder whether he's been kept on because at 28 he's one of the younger members of the squad and he reduces the average squad age, however he clearly isn't good enough.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
Is it OHD who has the horrible bowling action?

Offline AVH87

« Reply #589 on: July 26, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

Horrible action, run-up, technique, batting ability, fielding ability..

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #590 on: July 26, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »

We signed him from Yorkshire. You can have him back, I will drive him to Headingley myself.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #591 on: July 26, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »

There are a few in the Warwickshire squad who are borderline county standard.  Thomason is another one who has got hammered to all parts pretty much every time I've seen him bowl. 

The difference is that Thomason is 20 and a long way from his peak.  OHD should be at his best and he still looks well short of the required standard.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #592 on: July 26, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »

We signed him from Yorkshire. You can have him back, I will drive him to Headingley myself.

Didn't take Yorkshire long to realise he's a wrong 'un!

Offline AVH87

« Reply #593 on: July 26, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »

I'll pay the fuel, you can be driving a hummer for all I care.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #594 on: July 26, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
Another new signing for the Bears and as he joins straight away he can play:

https://warwickshireccc.com/news/batsman-hose-signs-bears-three-year-contract/

Give Giles his due he's making progress on the squad. I think we will go down this year but we will be back.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/525992.html

EDIT: Rikki Clarke is leaving at the end of the season and will rejoin Surrey on a two year deal.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:05:15 PM by Villan For Life »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #595 on: July 26, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »

The difference is that Thomason is 20 and a long way from his peak.  OHD should be at his best and he still looks well short of the required standard.

True Paul and I accept that I haven't seen every game he has played, but every time I have seen him bowl he gets absolutely smashed.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #596 on: July 26, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »

True Paul and I accept that I haven't seen every game he has played, but every time I have seen him bowl he gets absolutely smashed.

Oh I agree, I'm just more forgiving of a 20 year old looking a bit out of his depth.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #597 on: July 26, 2017, 08:52:46 PM »
Watching the Yorkshire v Durham hit and run and am actually quite enjoying it because it's been a decent contest with some brilliant bowling. Rashid has been superb and Bresnan's first two overs were maidens and a wicket.

Also enjoyed the World Cup Final on Sunday which wasn't a high scoring game, gets boring just watching batsmen hitting boundary after boundary.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »
Another win for the Bears.  Beat the Pears on Friday and we'll hopefully be able to secure a home QF.  Good knock by the new signing. 

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #599 on: July 30, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
A win on Tuesday at Northants would be useful as well

Good win for the Pears today as well

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal