Off Topic > Sports Arena

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2017

(1/229) > >>

spangley1812:
Former England batsman Jonathan Trott has extended his contract with Warwickshire until the end of the 2018 county season.

Vice-captain Trott has made over 25,000 runs for the Bears in all competitions since joining them in 2002.

The 35-year-old won 52 Test caps for England between 2009 and 2015, scoring 3,835 runs at an average of 44.08.

"He continues to be one of the leading batsmen in the professional game," sport director Ashley Giles said.

"He makes an outstanding contribution to Warwickshire as a batsman, vice-captain and mentor to the younger members of the squad.

"He's a proud Bear and ensuring that he remains at Edgbaston for at least the next two years is a huge boost to the club as we build towards the new domestic season."

Trott has helped Warwickshire win two County Championship titles, the T20 Blast, the ECB 40 and the One-Day Cup in his time with the county.

spangley1812:
Chris Woakes was bought by Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL for £504,140 in the IPL Auction that took place today

Woakes will be playing in the eight-team Twenty20 competition - which takes place between 5 April and 21 May - for the first time.

The England international may not be available for the whole tournament because of international commitments as England host Ireland in one-day internationals on 5 and 7 May.

They then host South Africa in a three-match ODI series, with the games scheduled to take place on 24, 27 and 29 May, before the ICC Champions Trophy starts in England on 1 June.

Villan For Life:
Nice to see that former Bear Tony Merrick is now the groundsman at the Sir Vivian Richards stadium in Antigua.

When he was at Edgbaston he was one of the fastest bowlers I'd seen and the choice the club was faced between Merrick and AD was a tough one. Ultimately AD was a class act and the right decision was made but Merrick would not have let us down.

peter w:
Merrick there's a blast from the past. I remember watching him bowl one late night v Hampshire in around the mid late 80s. We had them 2 or 3 down in no time before stumps and I could barely see the ball coming out of his hand. Unbelievably fast.

Villan For Life:

--- Quote from: peter w on March 07, 2017, 05:04:39 AM ---Merrick there's a blast from the past. I remember watching him bowl one late night v Hampshire in around the mid late 80s. We had them 2 or 3 down in no time before stumps and I could barely see the ball coming out of his hand. Unbelievably fast.

--- End quote ---

I can remember a game against Essex at Edgbaston when Merrick was bowling to Alan Border. The ball struck Border on the toe, it was that quick Border seemed to scream in pain before the ball reached him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version