collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 43 Years ago today  (Read 1727 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

43 Years ago today
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »
Burnley 1, Villa 0 - my first visit to Turf Moor, no disgrace losing to a then top of half of the first division team

My memories are of a close cup tie - kicking off at 2.15pm in the days of the three day week, with a last minute decision made to play the game after a pre match downpour onto an already wet pitch.

Turf Moor used to be a hostile little ground - anyone else made the trip up there in 1974 ?  (Our reward for knocking out Arsenal in the 4th Round.)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: 43 Years ago today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
We were in the seats behind the goal. If I remember correctly, the only seated stand was behind the goal. Bob Lord still ruled the roost and as mentioned it was no disgrace losing to them.
There was also boardroom upheavals at the time and our Dad got into a very heated argument before the game with someone he knew who was a Jim Hartley backer, our old man supported Doug.
Being knocked out the Cup was probably responsible for it being Bruce Riochs last game in Villa colours.

Online PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
29301 for this ....i was up there for this very moody in and outside the ground....stood on the side to the left of the seated Bob Lord stand.
Didn't realise it was Riochs last game.

Cumbes, Gidman, Aitken, Nicholl, Ross, Chico, McMahon, Rioch, Alun Evans, Morgan and Graydon

Offline steamer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:17:19 PM »
After the euphoric,s of Arsenal it was a bit of a come down.
My memories are of a caravan on the side flogging food.
My main Memory is being stuck in traffic, Coaches of Villa fans stretching back and, to me as a young man what seemed,  a vision from the village of the dammed, With the most gormless collection of locals I had ever seen standing in doorways or leaning on gates staring at the Villa hordes heading home.
Strange but I have never forgot this.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:38:26 PM »
First time I went there was 1st season back  in the top division.  I  was on the weekend trip  to Blackpool with the Lions coach.  Lionel  and his lad from London talked into going-  they paid the hotel for me.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
I slept in the shelter at Aston station on the Saturday night before tickets went on sale on the Sunday morning. I was gutted to find you could pay cash on the day because we hadn't sold all our tickets!

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
It was the day they officially opened the Bob Lord stand. We stood opposite. No glory  but we gave them a game playing in that great yellow and blue second strip. A big travelling support - I can recall a huge travellers club coach convoy stringing along the M6.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:37 PM »
I slept in the shelter at Aston station on the Saturday night before tickets went on sale on the Sunday morning. I was gutted to find you could pay cash on the day because we hadn't sold all our tickets!

Yes - I'd forgotten - those of us that were determined not to miss this game or the other big ones in the day would've queued for quite a few hours to ensure getting tickets.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
It was the day they officially opened the Bob Lord stand. We stood opposite. No glory  but we gave them a game playing in that great yellow and blue second strip. A big travelling support - I can recall a huge travellers club coach convoy stringing along the M6.

Yes I remember this as the day the officially opened the Bob Lord Stand - which I've since sat in when I went there to watch a game there as a neutral.  I'm sure it's still exactly the same today and if anything it looks quite dwarfed by the improvements they've made to what I believe they call the "Bee Hole End" and the "Longside".

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
First time I went there was 1st season back  in the top division.  I  was on the weekend trip  to Blackpool with the Lions coach.  Lionel  and his lad from London talked into going-  they paid the hotel for me.

I remember this as well WW - we took a 2-0 lead and at some point we were in danger of getting that elusive away win (which we never got all that season !) Game ended a 2-2 draw.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »
We played Burnley and sheff Utd surely even Vila could beat one of those. Think we one of only two teams sheff Utd beat at home that season and burnley well. And I missed our first away win in div1 after being grounded after Man City away when I got cluttered

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal