collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113240 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)
« Reply #21525 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:01 AM »
I don't agree with any of that sorry Chris, the bloke played his part in nearly ruining us.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21526 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »
I thought Chris's post was a fair enough summary. We got close but it wasn't good enough.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #21527 on: October 09, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
I don't agree with any of that sorry Chris, the bloke played his part in nearly ruining us.
You don't agree that we were close to getting promoted?  That Wolves were unusually excellent due to the cash injection and champs league players?  That the injuries to our best players were unfortunate? That in his first season he gave us our first bit of success for some time?

Fair enough.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21528 on: October 09, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
You don't agree that we were close to getting promoted?  That Wolves were unusually excellent due to the cash injection and champs league players?  That the injuries to our best players were unfortunate? That in his first season he gave us our first bit of success for some time?

Fair enough.

We weren't close at all in reality.  We scored one goal in three play off games and the play off final was almost as embarrassing as the FA Cup final under Dim Tim.  To coin a phrase, we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.

I just don't buy the "nice bloke who got us very close" line you're peddling.  In my view Bruce was a liar and a charlatan, the worst kind of person who always tries to deflect attention from his own incompetence. He's left us with a train wreck of a defence and a drastically reduced chance of going up this season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #21529 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »

Fair enough.

We weren't close at all in reality.  We scored one goal in three play off games and the play off final was almost as embarrassing as the FA Cup final under Dim Tim.  To coin a phrase, we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.

I just don't buy the "nice bloke who got us very close" line you're peddling.  In my view Bruce was a liar and a charlatan, the worst kind of person who always tries to deflect attention from his own incompetence. He's left us with a train wreck of a defence and a drastically reduced chance of going up this season.
We were the closest team possible, both in terms of league position and being in the play off final.  I haven't tried to defend the final performance itself - it was shocking.

I have not mentioned him being a nice bloke, but he was not a charlatan.  He did what he does and came as close as you can get to achieving what he was employed to do (without actually achieving it).

I agree he's left us with a terrible defence, but then I've also said he should have been sacked after the final.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #21530 on: October 09, 2018, 10:40:51 AM »
I gree, but the reality then was that we didn't have a pot to piss in and Dr T 's priority was finding enough coin to pay the Revenue, utilities and the players and staff rather than fucking off Bruce and having to stump up another £2m

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21531 on: October 09, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
Ultimately he failed but to say we weren't close is distorting the truth a bit, losing the play off final 1-0 is pretty much as 'close' as you can get.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #21532 on: October 09, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
He got us to 4th in the league with the 2nd best squad in the league. And the gamble nearly brought us to administration. Not good enough.

Offline KRS

« Reply #21533 on: October 09, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »
Looking on the bright side of life, if it wasn’t for Bruce making a bollock of things then Xia would still be here...I’d like to think that we’ll be in a much better state in a few years under the new owners than we would have been if Bruce had got us promoted and with Xia still in charge.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21534 on: October 09, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »
if it wasn't for Bruce makinig a bollocks of things we'd be sitting 18th in the PL right now looking for a new manager

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #21535 on: October 09, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
Abject failure and a lying devious blame every body else for his own deficiencies manager.
He nearly ruined us and his  gross incompetence this season has probably allready cost us another year in the second division.
I think the loyalty during his tenure and by some even now is, to say the least somewhat misplaced.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:23:11 PM by ChicagoLion »

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #21536 on: October 09, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
I come from an era when success was success.  Not failing is not success to me.  Give a man a job, give him the resources, give him time and give him a task. In football terms, Bruce was given the first three and failed in the fourth. We paid a considerable sum at this level for his so called expertise, which makes it a bigger failure. I won a lucky dip on the lottery this week and that is how the play-offs felt to me.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21537 on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »
with respect that post is just a lengthy if my Aunt had balls she's be my Uncle. You don't get anything for close.
I expected that kind of response.  I haven't disputed that he ultimately failed, but if you read the analysis on here you'd think he'd got us relegated.
And there you are you have nailed it. We stayed relegated under Bruce for two seasons despite the wealth he squandered.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21538 on: October 09, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Ultimately he failed but to say we weren't close is distorting the truth a bit, losing the play off final 1-0 is pretty much as 'close' as you can get.
No but being in play-off final was a failure.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #21539 on: October 09, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
No but being in play-off final was a failure.

I was making the point it was as 'close' as you could be without actually going up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal