collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:12:40 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by RichardBatchelor
[Today at 07:40:42 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2110059 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #17565 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
BFR's team was an excellent passing and moving team for about a season and a half

Little's sometimes threatened to be

Actually lambert's was also briefly as was Sherwood's

But that isn't much

Would love us to play like that. Wenger changed arsenal's style forever in about two seasons so it's doable

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #17566 on: August 21, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »
I have supported this team for near on 50 years and I can honestly say I don’t remember us ever having a passing and moving team - unless someone can confirm my memory is failing me?!? Even in our finest hour we were a breakaway team although Sid could knock it about a bit.  SGT’s teams were functional (knock out to the left wing for Ormandroyd to knock on, and MON was classic breakaway and rely on individual skill to win a game.  BFR was probably the closest although I have always thought Houllier was getting there.  It’s just the way we are .....

You are right but if in the 70’s and in the 80’s English teams won in Europe with the basic British style (run, pressing, crosses on the wings for the tall central forward and  headers of the central defenders from set pieces) thanks to the influence of the continental managers football is changed in the last 20 years and have grown the expectations of the fans to see a team to play football the way it has to be played.

I've always thought of us being a hard working team rather than a passing and moving team.  We moved the ball quicker under the likes of Taylor and Atkinson in those days but we have never played teams off the park passing wise as far as I can recall.  It's culture to create, one that starts with the Manager outlining his plans by being on the training pitch, shouting at his players to 'pass it, keep it, pass it, keep it', constantly.  Eventually,  it clicks and then you ask your scouts to look for players who they know to be comfy on the ball. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17567 on: August 21, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »
We were only really good under BFR for about 3 or 4 months, the rest of the time we passed it around nicely with very little end product.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #17568 on: August 21, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »
As somebody correctly summarized we are perpetually in a state of needing just the one player to make the team function successfully.  Trevor Ford was the first such that I remember.

I'm claiming that, thank you for noticing Brian. 

My latest observation is that Bruce's name could replace Mouriniho in pretty much every analysis of man united's situation (villa's situation) if the press could be bothered to critically analyse Bruce's contribution. 

Offline mike

« Reply #17569 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:57 AM »
Having just got back from hols and seen the highlights, my uninformed view is we’re a bit like last year (missing Snodgrass but McGinn looks good) but with a shit defence. That wanker who went to Fulham might have helped. I can’t see us heading for automatic promotion. Hopefully, the owners are banking on us still being in touch by the time they have a proper manager sorted out some time around October/November.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17570 on: August 22, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »
The "Just one player short of making it work" observation Dante was perfectly perceptive. It goes back for all the time I have been watching us.  Also there is an equally painful twin failing.  When we get one individual player good enough to build on,  to take us by the scruff of the neck and force higher football quality we sell them.  Danny Blanchflower was a classic case.  And Stan Crowther and John Gidman, Platt, Gray, Sid,  Hitchens, James Milner, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young, Benteke and probably Jack Grealish.  We never build a team we grab the money and run.

That is why for me it was - if he really meant it - such a lifting of spirits to hear our owner tell Tottenham we were not interested in their money.  If it is genuine we have waited a long long time for such an owner.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:05:16 AM by brian green »

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #17571 on: August 22, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »
All heroes to the young supporters Brian, Blanchflower was the first player I remember leaving Villa by choice. A club builds its supporter base base by giving the kids heroes to follow, that's why it was great for the club to retain Grealish.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17572 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
Rob, there is a skeleton in the Blachflower cupboard.  If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you I will tell you what it was.  Otherwise my son will have to tell you when he is next at the MCG with the Barmy Army.  We certainly need heroes for the kids.  We had 63 goals one season from Johnny Dixon, Tommy Thompson and Dave Walsh and Dave Walsh only played half the season.  Now we dream of Kodjia getting the 19 goals he got two seasons ago.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #17573 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
Rob, there is a skeleton in the Blachflower cupboard.  If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you I will tell you what it was.  Otherwise my son will have to tell you when he is next at the MCG with the Barmy Army.  We certainly need heroes for the kids.  We had 63 goals one season from Johnny Dixon, Tommy Thompson and Dave Walsh and Dave Walsh only played half the season.  Now we dream of Kodjia getting the 19 goals he got two seasons ago.
We also had the 1976-77 season when Gray (29), Little (26) and Deehan (18) scored in the best season I can recall (perhaps with the exception of 1980-81). Given that I'd started watching in 1967, this was an incredible turnaround.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #17574 on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
Bruce has talked about Alan Hutton amoungst things and he included talking about what he asks for his teams. Standard football cliche fair .

"All I’ve asked any of my teams over the years is roll up your sleeves, put your boots on and have a go.

“If they do that then I’ll forgive anything.

That’s the most important thing for me because that’s what I did."

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #17575 on: August 22, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »
Bruce has talked about Alan Hutton amoungst things and he included talking about what he asks for his teams. Standard football cliche fair .

"All I’ve asked any of my teams over the years is roll up your sleeves, put your boots on and have a go.

“If they do that then I’ll forgive anything.

That’s the most important thing for me because that’s what I did."

Jesus Christ! It’s like the ghost of Charles Hughes has been reincarnated. What a dinosaur.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #17576 on: August 22, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
Except as a general principle there's nothing wrong with it.

Try hard, try your best and if you fuck up I've got your back. I don't think that's a bad attitude to have.

Unless, of course, there are no fucking tactics, skills etc worked on!!!

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #17577 on: August 22, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »
He forgot to add to that '' get the Dubbin out'' then i'll forgive them anything.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #17578 on: August 22, 2018, 10:00:12 AM »
Have a read of the last post on the Hutton thread. There's more info on it and I think probably elaborates somewhat on the above.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #17579 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
Villa are averaging 1.21 Expected Goals per-game but creating just 0.40 Expected Goals from open play on average each match.

And last season, no second-tier side scored more headed goals than Villa (17) and this term five of their seven goals have arrived via crosses or set-pieces, highlighting lack of open play penetration.

So moves for dynamic players like Bolasie and bringing in Mcginn at least trying to address but its like Southgate England playing to strengths in a tight match make set pieces count.

I think also the amount of fouls against our players last season would result in more free kicks as would the first class delivery of snoddy and others .

However !! It's a telling stat that the lack of creativity is there to see and a more progressive approach is needed
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:15:00 AM by footyskillz »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal