collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113045 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15480 on: July 18, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
Isn't it?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15481 on: July 18, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
I don't think he sent us out to lose, that's silly, but I do think his thought process went along the lines of "this team beat Wolves so we'll stick with it" with no thought of the suitability of the players to the game or the effect of a tough 90 minutes on the legs of some of the older guys.  I don't think Bruce is a bad person, I just think he's intellectually lazy, the less thinking he can get away with the better.  That's why his tactics are so often him throwing things together until something works and then flogging it to shit until it breaks and he starts again.

I understand the point about setting your team up based on the opposition you're facing, but having just twatted the runaway league leaders, when faced with a team from the arse end of the league a few days later, "I'll stick with that" is hardly the most controversial of decisions, surely?

In hindsight it was, that QPR game was probably our worst performance all season, beaten comfortably by a team that was in danger of falling into the relegation scrap and didn't ever really look like we were going to get back into it.  I agree that before the game, as a fan, you wouldn't have been crying out for changes, but as the manager part of the job is to be better than that.

Ah, hindsight. A wonderful thing.

but as you say, you understand the point of making small changes to suit the opposition, so whilst hindsight makes it obvious that he got it wrong, it was also fairly reasonable to suggest a change or 2 before the game, which is why the pre-match thread for that game has plenty of comments doing just that.

Just because it's easy to look back and pick out a mistake doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake by someone with the experience and wages to know better.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #15482 on: July 18, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »
It's hardly some amazing hindsight to think that playing 4 games in 11 days would require making use of the squad. Especially when you're paid nearly £2m a year to know things like that.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #15483 on: July 18, 2018, 06:49:10 PM »
I don't think he sent us out to lose, that's silly, but I do think his thought process went along the lines of "this team beat Wolves so we'll stick with it" with no thought of the suitability of the players to the game or the effect of a tough 90 minutes on the legs of some of the older guys.  I don't think Bruce is a bad person, I just think he's intellectually lazy, the less thinking he can get away with the better.  That's why his tactics are so often him throwing things together until something works and then flogging it to shit until it breaks and he starts again.

I understand the point about setting your team up based on the opposition you're facing, but having just twatted the runaway league leaders, when faced with a team from the arse end of the league a few days later, "I'll stick with that" is hardly the most controversial of decisions, surely?

In hindsight it was, that QPR game was probably our worst performance all season, beaten comfortably by a team that was in danger of falling into the relegation scrap and didn't ever really look like we were going to get back into it.  I agree that before the game, as a fan, you wouldn't have been crying out for changes, but as the manager part of the job is to be better than that.

Ah, hindsight. A wonderful thing.

but as you say, you understand the point of making small changes to suit the opposition, so whilst hindsight makes it obvious that he got it wrong, it was also fairly reasonable to suggest a change or 2 before the game, which is why the pre-match thread for that game has plenty of comments doing just that.

Just because it's easy to look back and pick out a mistake doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake by someone with the experience and wages to know better.

In fact SB admitted as much in his post-game interviews.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #15484 on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »
I could never understand how shit Adomah became after the Wolves game , but SB kept picking him and he was so out of form . 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #15485 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
I could never understand how shit Adomah became after the Wolves game , but SB kept picking him and he was so out of form . 

Who would you have picked?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #15486 on: July 18, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »

Who would you have picked?

Super Tommy Elphick?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #15487 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
It's hardly some amazing hindsight to think that playing 4 games in 11 days would require making use of the squad. Especially when you're paid nearly £2m a year to know things like that.

Thank you. Honestly, the shite being posted in here today; as if benching 1 or 2 players when game schedules are overtly affected by freak weather and the lads have over-exerted themselves by thrashing the Champions is some sort of tactical stretch.

Anyone who thinks that's just hindsight, well... I do wonder how much football gets watched sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:52:59 PM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #15488 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »
Bruce could have put Davis back in and Grabban wide, or changed the formation, or reintegrated the bloke that had gone and scored a load of goals in Australia, or... The list goes on, but it was blatantly clear that Adomah was spent after that Wolves game and needed a few games rest. So did Hourihane. We then got panned by a faster, hungrier side in Qpr and it knocked all confidence. His use of the squad or different tactical approaches were both sorely lacking.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #15489 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »

I can't be arsed. But does anyone fancy going back the Dogheads post match thread and seeing how many of us were suggesting resting players for the QPR game ?

I'm pretty sure i didn't. But kudos to me if i did

Winner is Footyskillz. Hookey on page 3 also suggested Terry and Jedinak would struggle to hack two games in 72 hours. Plenty of mentions of flat atmospheres aswell. If we mere "paying customers" could foresee it guys in the game for 30 years should've.

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=58426.15
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:21:05 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #15490 on: July 19, 2018, 07:15:44 AM »
Lots of people suggested it was silly to play certain players twice in such a short space of time. My admittedly ridiculously worded post yesterday, was trying to express that despite doing so, and Bruce revealing his inflexibility, the players themselves that night -  to me - showed a total half arsed arrogance, as if all they had to do was take to the field to command it. By the time they realized that wasn't the case, the damage had been done, and no amount of substitutions or tactical adjustments would have rectified it.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15491 on: July 19, 2018, 07:50:26 AM »
Maybe we went into that QPR game too over confident after the Wolves game. I don't blame Bruce for not changing it in the slightest. We'd just played the leaders off the park, the confidence must have been sky high.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #15492 on: July 19, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
If he had changed it and we had lost, he'd be getting pelters on here for changing a winning side.

Freshening it up made sense to me, but I can understand why he took what he probably thought was the safer option.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #15493 on: July 19, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
It’s not as if football managers get paid millions for making difficult decisions or anything.

Online Allan C

« Reply #15494 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
If he had changed it and we had lost, he'd be getting pelters on here for changing a winning side.

Freshening it up made sense to me, but I can understand why he took what he probably thought was the safer option.
That’s the point though. I unfortunately didn’t see the Wolves game coz of work but many people on here commented that certain players looked shattered after it. If we noticed it then you would expect that someone who works with them daily and knows them well would have known it too. Bruce himself continually says how hard the championship is so resting players in the QPR game was a necessity. It’s another case of poor management IMO

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal