collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114588 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15465 on: July 18, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
Of course. But I don't see how you can justify an opinion that Bruce sent us out to almost deliberately lose.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #15466 on: July 18, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
we didn't get promoted because we didn't win enough games - Bruce has many failings, but sending the side out to almost deliberately lose against OPR at home after thumping Wolves, as an example, isn't one of them.

Where on earth do you get that from? The place was buzzing after Wolves and he probably expected us to win again as I think most fans did that night. Suggesting deliberate sabotage is ridiculous.

This. Utterly ridiculous at that.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15467 on: July 18, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
they haven't I did. Because I can. And it's an opinion site.

So what did Bruce gain from us losing that match?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #15468 on: July 18, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
I always felt the senior players should've shown more reponsibility in that week, one of the few things I'd criticise Terry for last season.

SB is hardly the first manager who'd want to keep an unchanged team after a great win but you could see likes of Terry and Jedinak were totally knackered in the QPR game against a team who pressed.

Both should've ask to be rested and return for the Bolton game. 4 points from those two and who knows what would've happened.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15469 on: July 18, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
we didn't get promoted because we didn't win enough games - Bruce has many failings, but sending the side out to almost deliberately lose against OPR at home after thumping Wolves, as an example, isn't one of them.

Where on earth do you get that from? The place was buzzing after Wolves and he probably expected us to win again as I think most fans did that night. Suggesting deliberate sabotage is ridiculous.

I'm stunned any sane person actually thinks that.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15470 on: July 18, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
I don't think he sent us out to lose, that's silly, but I do think his thought process went along the lines of "this team beat Wolves so we'll stick with it" with no thought of the suitability of the players to the game or the effect of a tough 90 minutes on the legs of some of the older guys.  I don't think Bruce is a bad person, I just think he's intellectually lazy, the less thinking he can get away with the better.  That's why his tactics are so often him throwing things together until something works and then flogging it to shit until it breaks and he starts again.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #15471 on: July 18, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

I'm stunned any sane person actually thinks that.

I'm no fan of Bruce but it is simply mind boggling that anyone would genuinely believe he deliberately sent his team out to lose. Tactically inept? Yes. A saboteur of our attempts to get promoted? Utter bollocks.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #15472 on: July 18, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
I don't think he sent us out to lose, that's silly, but I do think his thought process went along the lines of "this team beat Wolves so we'll stick with it" with no thought of the suitability of the players to the game or the effect of a tough 90 minutes on the legs of some of the older guys.  I don't think Bruce is a bad person, I just think he's intellectually lazy, the less thinking he can get away with the better.  That's why his tactics are so often him throwing things together until something works and then flogging it to shit until it breaks and he starts again.

I can't be arsed. But does anyone fancy going back the Dogheads post match thread and seeing how many of us were suggesting resting players for the QPR game ?

I'm pretty sure i didn't. But kudos to me if i did

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #15473 on: July 18, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »

I can't be arsed. But does anyone fancy going back the Dogheads post match thread and seeing how many of us were suggesting resting players for the QPR game ?

This, plus if he changed the winning Wolves team  for the QPR game and lost he’d have been damned for changing a winning team .

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #15474 on: July 18, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »

Actually, lots of people did. Many of us knew they'd need a rest. The QPR game had been rescheduled due to Storm Emma and was shoved in between Wolves and Bolton.

The simplest part of management is looking at the team and thinking "they've played nearly 40 games already, they've just beaten the certain champions 4-1, some of these lads need a rest". It's not rocket science, and many of us did call it. Bruce didn't, and we failed to win the next 3.

Online paul_e

« Reply #15475 on: July 18, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »

Does it really matter if anyone did?  After all how many people on here are paid over a £1m a year to manage a football club?

Aside form that there were a fair few comments at the time talking about starting Thor ahead of Jedi along with talk of not being complacent, we made no changes and played as if the win was already in the bag so people had spotted the risks.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #15476 on: July 18, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »

I understand the point about setting your team up based on the opposition you're facing, but having just twatted the runaway league leaders, when faced with a team from the arse end of the league a few days later, "I'll stick with that" is hardly the most controversial of decisions, surely?

Online paul_e

« Reply #15477 on: July 18, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »

This, plus if he changed the winning Wolves team  for the QPR game and lost he’d have been damned for changing a winning team .

Not bringing in BB (for his mobility) against QPR was a mistake and they ran all over us in midfield. He then compounded it by making that change for Bolton who were just a long ball team where the aerial ability of Jedinak would've made a massive difference.  Anyone who'd seen either of those teams play in the month leading up to the games could've told you which game needed legs in midfield and which needed protection against long balls. You may be right and he might have had complaints either way but it doesn't change the fact that it would've been a sensible change to make.  If we'd had decent cover for Terry I'd have rested him for the QPR game as well, again because they had a lot of pace in the side and they exposed him with it.

Online paul_e

« Reply #15478 on: July 18, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »

I understand the point about setting your team up based on the opposition you're facing, but having just twatted the runaway league leaders, when faced with a team from the arse end of the league a few days later, "I'll stick with that" is hardly the most controversial of decisions, surely?

In hindsight it was, that QPR game was probably our worst performance all season, beaten comfortably by a team that was in danger of falling into the relegation scrap and didn't ever really look like we were going to get back into it.  I agree that before the game, as a fan, you wouldn't have been crying out for changes, but as the manager part of the job is to be better than that.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #15479 on: July 18, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »

In hindsight it was, that QPR game was probably our worst performance all season, beaten comfortably by a team that was in danger of falling into the relegation scrap and didn't ever really look like we were going to get back into it.  I agree that before the game, as a fan, you wouldn't have been crying out for changes, but as the manager part of the job is to be better than that.

Ah, hindsight. A wonderful thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal