collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114074 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15435 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
As some on here have said, I didn't want Bruce just like I didn't want McLeish, but it's nothing to do with their Blues' connections, just that I don't admire their interpretation of football....but, they were appointed managers of my football club and I want them to have as much success as possible. I am perfectly happy to sell my soul to the devil if it means The Villa doing well. It makes some degree of sense to keep Bruce in place at the moment, and I am naïve/hopeful enough to think that he will work harder to get more out of the lesser players at his disposal and create "a team". I think that's been his forte in the past when he has done well.

In the longer term I'd like him gone....his attitude of being "there or thereabouts", "the Championship's a tough division", "we didn't do very well in the first half" smacks massively of lazy dinosaur management and complacency and that won't get us very far very soon.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #15436 on: July 13, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
Spot on FMWMU.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #15437 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
I desperately want Bruce gone. I just don't see what he brings to us to justify his salary in the current predicament. And quite frankly it should have been written into his contract that if he didn't get us promoted this season we could terminate his contract.

I've heard people point to last season's Wolves and Bristol City games as evidence of what he's capable of as a Manager, but to me they just highlight his flaws- that he had a team capable of being that good but wasn't able to get them to do it consistently enough to finish above Cardiff.

Dean Smith is the man we need.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #15438 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »
I don't see people's opinions as their "problems".  As Stuart says not wanting him in the first place is a perfectly reasonable opinion to hold.

That's not quite what I said though. Not wanting him for football reason's is fair enough. Not wanting him because he used to manage Small Heath is petty.

And only 1 or 2 people have said it on a thread that has over 15,000 posts so it's not the reason the vast majority that want him gone think that way.

And I have no doubt that 99.9% of the folks that want him gone if given the choice between Bruce staying and us going up or us being shit and Bruce being sacked will take Bruce staying. It's that they can't see us going up under Bruce or even building anything beyond short term with the first team that they want him gone.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15439 on: July 13, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »
Some people are desperate for him to fail so they can persist with the anti Bruce thing. I know two or three who genuinely do, just so it fits their argument. It’s just how some folk go about supporting their team I guess.

Des you've got to understand you can't post anything on this thread that defends Bruce or god forbid praises him or like you did make a polite reference to the anti Bruce brigade, I admire your bravery though.

That's a bit petty Steve. Everyone is welcome to an opinion but obviously not everyone will agree with it.

Where I get irritated is the notion that if you are critical of Bruce it is because you are a moaner who isn't welcome at Villa Park. Or because you hated him from the outset. Or would happily see Villa lose just so he loses his job. Or will never give him a chance because he once managed down the road. Because for the vast majority of the "Bruce out brigade" none of that is true.

I can't help thinking though that this debate would be very different if it was just for football reasons rather than framed against our fiscal policy seeming to be akin to that of Zimbabwe under Mugabe.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #15440 on: July 13, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
smacks massively of lazy dinosaur management and complacency and that won't get us very far very soon.

Worked fine for Warnock, and we're nowhere near as 'dinosaur' as Cardiff. Yet the myth we are grows and grows

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15441 on: July 13, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »
smacks massively of lazy dinosaur management and complacency and that won't get us very far very soon.

Worked fine for Warnock, and we're nowhere near as 'dinosaur' as Cardiff. Yet the myth we are grows and grows

Aren't we?  We had a significantly better squad, which meant some of our goals play was on a level they were incapable of but we still approached a huge number of away games with a 'keep it tight and hope for something on the break' mentality, we just weren't as good as they were at sneaking the wins in those games.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #15442 on: July 13, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »

On one hand people (usually the Bruce Out brigade) keep saying we had a the best squad/players as a reason to bash Bruce for not getting us up, and then on the other hand half the time they then keep saying the team is shit and isn't worth fuck all sale wise as he's bought a load of rot and wasted 50 billion pounds on it.

Did we have the best players or are they all shit ?

I can never tell anymore.

In my humble, i'd say we had a decent quality squad. No more no less.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #15443 on: July 13, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »

On one hand people (usually the Bruce Out brigade) keep saying we had a the best squad/players as a reason to bash Bruce for not getting us up, and then on the other hand half the time they then keep saying the team is shit and isn't worth fuck all sale wise as he's bought a load of rot and wasted 50 billion pounds on it.

The reason we had a good squad was that he loaned lots of players.  They're worth fuck all sale wise, beause they're not ours to sell.  It's not that difficult a concept to understand, surely?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #15444 on: July 13, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

The reason they are worth f****** sale-wise is not because they are s*** but because their wages are too high to sell them without reducing what they should be worth and thus resulting in a loss and adding to FFP issue. Also, quality of squad is less now after the loan players have left.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #15445 on: July 13, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
Some people are desperate for him to fail so they can persist with the anti Bruce thing. I know two or three who genuinely do, just so it fits their argument. It’s just how some folk go about supporting their team I guess.

I don't think anyone wants us to fail just to get Bruce out of the door, Des. In fact, him going during the season is the worst scenario of the lot because that means that either we are in such a perilous league position we are forced to sack him or he will have jacked it in because he is worried about our poor form causing problems with his brand.

Let't be honest though, there are some people on here who haven't had a good word to say about him since he walked through the door. At around the same time he joined, one person on here said 'We won't sing his name'. Another one made a comment that we shouldn't be playing Blues with a 'ex Small heath manager'. So for some, the support hasn't been there from the start which is their choice I suppose.

I never had a good word for Bruce as a manager before he walked through the door never mind since he did

it's similar if your a remainer in Brexit Britain
You think it's a terrible thing you never wanted it you think it will be a disaster but you still want the country to do well because it's your country

I've always thought nothing good will come if Villa while Bruce is in charge, I haven't changed my mind

I think he is one of and might end up being the worst managers we've ever had, I've said that before and you laughed, that's fair enough he's your man but he isn't mine
like a remainer on Brexit I think it's all going in the wrong direction and it would be dishonest of me to pretend otherwise

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15446 on: July 13, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »

I don't think anyone wants us to fail just to get Bruce out of the door, Des. In fact, him going during the season is the worst scenario of the lot because that means that either we are in such a perilous league position we are forced to sack him or he will have jacked it in because he is worried about our poor form causing problems with his brand.

Let't be honest though, there are some people on here who haven't had a good word to say about him since he walked through the door. At around the same time he joined, one person on here said 'We won't sing his name'. Another one made a comment that we shouldn't be playing Blues with a 'ex Small heath manager'. So for some, the support hasn't been there from the start which is their choice I suppose.

I never had a good word for Bruce as a manager before he walked through the door never mind since he did

it's similar if your a remainer in Brexit Britain
You think it's a terrible thing you never wanted it you think it will be a disaster but you still want the country to do well because it's your country

I've always thought nothing good will come if Villa while Bruce is in charge, I haven't changed my mind

I think he is one of and might end up being the worst managers we've ever had, I've said that before and you laughed, that's fair enough he's your man but he isn't mine
like a remainer on Brexit I think it's all going in the wrong direction and it would be dishonest of me to pretend otherwise

I wouldn't say he's my man as such. Some people wanted him out as soon as he had his first bad run and I was all for sticking with it because we'd been through too many managers in such a short space of time. I was happy for him to go after the play off final though because he'd not done what he was brought in to do. The financial shit storm afterwards made me think that having a manager already in place who the players seemed to like was better than adding to the chaos of what was going on off the pitch. Either way, I'm surprised he's still here.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #15447 on: July 13, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »

I have been posting on H&V since the old Manilla days, and one thing I have learned is that a poster using the term "brigade" is always full of shit. I bet you like AC/DC as well you deviated prevert.

I supported Bruce until when we had no mathematical possibility of going up in his first season, and he made no attempt to change his approach. It was clear to me then that he would carry on in the same groove. Before that I thought he might change given the resources available. 

In any case, the argument is purely hypothetical as he is going nowhere. This has been crystal clear for a good while.

Enjoy.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #15448 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:38 PM »
I bet you like AC/DC as well

Smiley, winky thing.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15449 on: July 13, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »
I bet you like AC/DC as well

Smiley, winky thing.

That explains a lot. I knew I recognised him from somewhere. Hi andy-.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal