collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113315 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15420 on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »
Some people are desperate for him to fail so they can persist with the anti Bruce thing. I know two or three who genuinely do, just so it fits their argument. It’s just how some folk go about supporting their team I guess.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #15421 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:38 PM »
Results are key for Bruce.
Instantly, because I don't think he has much breathing space left.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15422 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:20 PM »
Some people are desperate for him to fail so they can persist with the anti Bruce thing. I know two or three who genuinely do, just so it fits their argument. It’s just how some folk go about supporting their team I guess.

Sorry but this is just bullshit, you're effectively accusing Villa fans to want Villa to lose here and I don't think that's true for any genuine fan. I expected him to fall short and I expect him to lose ground next season and I expect the job for his replacement (if we decide to employ someone who will actually coach us and come up with a set of decent tactics) will just be harder the longer he stays.

I still wouldn't accept a run of defeats if it meant him being sacked.  A run of shit form at a club with dark clouds over it is a recipe to repeat what happened with Sherwood and for us to be deep in the shit with little chance of escape by the time the replacement comes in, I'd never be happy with that. This is why I've posted about wanting to the club to set high targets and to act when they're missed,  missing out on promotion twice should've been more than enough for Bruce to get his walk around the rose garden but I think Xia, like many on here, sees him as offering some stability whilst the rest of the club falls apart.  I hope that proves to be correct but I just don't trust Bruce not to walk as soon as he thinks his reputation is at risk.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #15423 on: July 12, 2018, 11:53:26 PM »

Sorry but this is just bullshit, you're effectively accusing Villa fans to want Villa to lose here and I don't think that's true for any genuine fan. I expected him to fall short and I expect him to lose ground next season and I expect the job for his replacement (if we decide to employ someone who will actually coach us and come up with a set of decent tactics) will just be harder the longer he stays.

I still wouldn't accept a run of defeats if it meant him being sacked.  A run of shit form at a club with dark clouds over it is a recipe to repeat what happened with Sherwood and for us to be deep in the shit with little chance of escape by the time the replacement comes in, I'd never be happy with that. This is why I've posted about wanting to the club to set high targets and to act when they're missed,  missing out on promotion twice should've been more than enough for Bruce to get his walk around the rose garden but I think Xia, like many on here, sees him as offering some stability whilst the rest of the club falls apart.  I hope that proves to be correct but I just don't trust Bruce not to walk as soon as he thinks his reputation is at risk.

Yes it’s another Xia gamble!
I Suppose its whether Bruce thinks this is his last big job and that may be the reason he hasn’t walked yet.
His football philosophy has to change for him to have any chance and I just can’t see that happening.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #15424 on: July 13, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
In addition to the financial factor of sacking Bruce, I would imagine that Xia does not want the responsibility of having to find his replacement. He probably feels his plate is already piled high keeping Villa afloat, so not messing about with the manager - who he probably assumes will keep us safely in the Championship - is one less thing for him to worry about.

Everything about Xia seems to be short-term, despite when he communicates to the contrary.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15425 on: July 13, 2018, 06:19:22 AM »

I don't think anyone wants us to fail just to get Bruce out of the door, Des. In fact, him going during the season is the worst scenario of the lot because that means that either we are in such a perilous league position we are forced to sack him or he will have jacked it in because he is worried about our poor form causing problems with his brand.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15426 on: July 13, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »

I don't think anyone wants us to fail just to get Bruce out of the door, Des. In fact, him going during the season is the worst scenario of the lot because that means that either we are in such a perilous league position we are forced to sack him or he will have jacked it in because he is worried about our poor form causing problems with his brand.

Let't be honest though, there are some people on here who haven't had a good word to say about him since he walked through the door. At around the same time he joined, one person on here said 'We won't sing his name'. Another one made a comment that we shouldn't be playing Blues with a 'ex Small heath manager'. So for some, the support hasn't been there from the start which is their choice I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:04:05 AM by Clampy »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #15427 on: July 13, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
That’s a small minority though I imagine. People might not have been thrilled at his appointment, but I suspect most were prepared to give him a chance once he was in role.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15428 on: July 13, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
That’s a small minority though I imagine. People might not have been thrilled at his appointment, but I suspect most were prepared to give him a chance once he was in role.

Indeed. I didn't want McLeish but that was because of his mind numbingly dull football not his Blues connection. I didn't want Bruce either. Not because he managed them once donkeys years ago but because I wanted relegation to be cathartic and bring about root and branch change, where we lived within our means but set in place a style of play that would endure regardless of who was parachuted into the managers chair.

There is a difference though between "I wouldn't have appointed him" and protesting at the appointment on the steps of the Holte.

I want us to win. I want us to do well. If someone offered me getting back where we need to be but that meaning Robbie Savage had to anchor the midfield then so be it.

I really do believe some people are too quick to excuse Bruce's failings by presuming anyone that gets pissed off with him must have an ulterior motive.

Online Clampy

« Reply #15429 on: July 13, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »

I really do believe some people are too quick to excuse Bruce's failings by presuming anyone that gets pissed off with him must have an ulterior motive.

Obviously that's not the case with everybody, but the two examples I mentioned do show that there are people who struggle with him because of who he once managed. I know someone personally who's like that. That's their problem I suppose though.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #15430 on: July 13, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
I don't see people's opinions as their "problems".  As Stuart says not wanting him in the first place is a perfectly reasonable opinion to hold.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #15431 on: July 13, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
Not wanting Bruce because of Blues connections is one for imbeciles only.  Not wanting him because of his management approach is perfectly legit.  I didn't want him but could kind of see why they hired him given his record, but I too thought the way to go was root and branch change and Bruce was the opposite of that.  As with McLeish, I find it difficult to support his approach because I see so many shortcomings with it.  For me it's a case of put your hopes on the back burner and just wait for the next opportunity to hire a decent manager.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #15432 on: July 13, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »

Des you've got to understand you can't post anything on this thread that defends Bruce or god forbid praises him or like you did make a polite reference to the anti Bruce brigade, I admire your bravery though.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #15433 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
I don’t particularly enjoy Bruce’s mindset of how the game should be played but at this point him not being manager would be hugely dangerous - with literally no football experience on the board at all we’d end up with another Xia vanity appt like RDM.

Online Clampy

« Reply #15434 on: July 13, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
I don't see people's opinions as their "problems".  As Stuart says not wanting him in the first place is a perfectly reasonable opinion to hold.

That's not quite what I said though. Not wanting him for football reason's is fair enough. Not wanting him because he used to manage Small Heath is petty.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal