collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113149 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #14820 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
No, he has not mentioned it, but he wouldn’t. When we scored vs SHA it was written all over his face. It is inconceivable that losing both parents could impact your job?

anyone that has knows the huge impact it has on your whole being. i don't even know who he carried on working personally. but fair play to him

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #14821 on: June 22, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
There weren't 3 better sides. There were 3 better managers.

Interesting point CCR

Could you tell me which if our players would've gotten into the Wolves and Fulham sides and who they would've replaced ?

and Cardiff's as well of course

I can't think of many personally

Yeah, because at the start of the season everyone would have taken the following mixture of free transfers and unknowns
Etheridge, Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett, Gunnarrsson, Grujic, Paterson, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Zohore

ahead of Johnstone, Hutton, Elmohamady, Chester, Terry, Jedinak, Hourinhane, Adomah, Snodgrass, Grabban, Kodija

Of course they would.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:17:40 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #14822 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
No, he has not mentioned it, but he wouldn’t. When we scored vs SHA it was written all over his face. It is inconceivable that losing both parents could impact your job?

anyone that has knows the huge impact it has on your whole being. i don't even know who he carried on working personally. but fair play to him

Because for a lot of people that's the only thing you can do in the face of great loss.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #14823 on: June 22, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »
He comes across as a decent compassionate bloke but I want someone who isn't, who will work for  500k a year  and who will get us up. You know, someone like that tosser from Cardiff.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14824 on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »

Because for a lot of people that's the only thing you can do in the face of great loss.

I’m sure it was a very sad period in his life, but he’s 57. It’s not exactly uncommon to have lost parents by that age and most people get on with life as there’s not really much else you can do.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #14825 on: June 22, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »

I’m sure it was a very sad period in his life, but he’s 57. It’s not exactly uncommon to have lost parents by that age and most people get on with life as there’s not really much else you can do.

Yeah true, but it still must hit hard as they passed so close to each other.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #14826 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »

Not uncommon. Still changes your world though and grief is grief.

The bottom line is, none of it is any of our business and he's big enough to not let it get in the way of the responsibilities that he's extremely well paid for. He'd have been forgiven for taking time off but he chose not to do that and we failed anyway. He needs to bear his (large) portion of responsibility for that failure regardless of any external factors.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14827 on: June 22, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
He comes across as a decent compassionate bloke but I want someone who isn't, who will work for  500k a year  and who will get us up. You know, someone like that tosser from Cardiff.

Just imagine the meltdown on here if we played like Cardiff. Forget the fact it got results and that it achieved the holy grail for them. Just imagine how many of your fellow posters would've been screaming their lungs about sacking him because of the so called 'shit football'.

Doesn't bear thinking about sadly.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #14828 on: June 22, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
I think we have to 'park' his personal challenges from earlier this year - partly because, well, he has only experienced the vicissitudes of life that we all face; and partly because it detracts from the main issue: is he up to the job?
My 'take' on what I've read here is that he had the resources and time to deliver the primary KPI that he has been tasked with - to win promotion. He hasn't done so, and it is entirely appropriate to discuss his future and the option of bringing someone else in.
The issue for me is simple: who should come in and how achieveable is it to get the best guy in?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14829 on: June 22, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »

Just imagine the meltdown on here if we played like Cardiff. Forget the fact it got results and that it achieved the holy grail for them. Just imagine how many of your fellow posters would've been screaming their lungs about sacking him because of the so called 'shit football'.

If players play to the best of their abilities (which Cardiff did) and win games to achieve their aims, football fans will get behind them and accept any time of football. What Cardiff did was play front foot football whenever they could.

It's when the team is not playing to the best of their abilities and the football is poor that fans complain.

Cardiff played direct football and I'm sure their fans found it exciting. It's not football for the purists but achieved results.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #14830 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »

I think most people on here would say they'd have put up with the shit football had it got results and delivered promotion. In fact, I think many have said it.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14831 on: June 22, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »

Doesn't it? Most of us expected to win ugly under Bruce as that's what he does so we were prepared for it. To have spent almost all the season in second place would have kept the majority happy, at least until the end of the season. We didn't play a lot of football under MON but the majority we happy with finishing 6th so I don't think your point is valid.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14832 on: June 22, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »

We did play like Cardiff, just not as well as they did.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #14833 on: June 22, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »

Sorry, I must have missed the intricate passing football with pace and incision that we played.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14834 on: June 22, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Guardiola tippy tappy total football, and 10 being full on Pulis hoof ball, I'd rate Colin at about an 8, and Bruce about a 6.  I'd rather have had the 8 and promotion than a 6 and staying put in this league for another year.  Bruce's football whilst not being out and out hoof ball, is quite often mundane, inflexible and ineffective.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal