collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114324 times)

Offline Allan C

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #14730 on: June 20, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »
So for those who definitely think we need to ditch Bruce, how long would you give the next manager? If we don't get promoted next season should they get another?

For those that think he should stay, how long should we give him until we sack him?

I'm genuinely interested because this is the probably the closest split in opinion we've had for a long time.
We need to start again because IMO we went backwards when we hired Bruce. A forward thinking young coach was required then and is required now. A coach with a proper plan to bring the youth of the club through which will provide that long term stability that people talk about. From where we are now, I’d say 3 years would be a target for us to be playing in the Premier League. Had we got shot of Bruce at the end of his first season and replaced him with such a manager I think we would be in the promised land now. I would have been happy to give Lampard a chance but that’s gone now sadly

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #14731 on: June 20, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
That would have been a disaster darling in my opinion - Villa as a first gig?Career ending.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14732 on: June 20, 2018, 12:08:26 PM »
The thing with 2 or 3 years with a new manager is that 6 months in when we're 15th in the table, people will say its not good enough and want him sacked. There just isn't the patience these days.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14733 on: June 20, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
Bruce hasn't provided stability, because we've now got to build a new side again, as he put no thought or planning in for the future beyond the end of the season just finished.
His football is mostly outdated, as shown very evidently in the Play Off final when he was completely outhought by a much more forward thinking coach.
He's no good in bringing through kids, and the players he bought (as opposed to loaned) were on the whole, very ineffective.
About the only thing he was good at was using his contacts to bring in some very good loan players, but that wasn't enough to get us up.  And now it's failed as a policy, we've got a big rebuilding job to do.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:06:37 PM by Risso »

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14734 on: June 20, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
I can kind of understand some of the reasons put forward for keeping Bruce, like the ones put forward by Chris Smith about not introducing another level of uncertainty.  It may even be that we can;t afford to fire him, I don;t know.  But trying to justify keeping him based on his negative failed performance last season or the one before, that I really can't understand.

Yes, says a lot that the two reasons for keeping him do not relate to what goes on on the pitch.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14735 on: June 20, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Bruce hasn't provided stability, because we've now got to build a new side again, as he put no thought or planning in for the future beyond the end of the season just finished.
His football is mostly outdated, as shown very evidently in the Premier League final when he was completely outhought by a much more forward thinking coach.
He's no good in bringing through kids, and the players he bought (as opposed to loaned) were on the whole, very ineffective.
About the only thing he was good at was using his contacts to bring in some very good loan players, but that wasn't enough to get us up.  And now it's failed as a policy, we've got a big rebuilding job to do.

Yep precisely. There’s nothing stable about our position and Bruce has major culpability for the playing staff side.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #14736 on: June 20, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »
That would have been a disaster darling in my opinion - Villa as a first gig?Career ending.
They’ve got to start somewhere and we’ve tried experience and promotion experts. Lampard will be a really great coach IMO and I think he would have inspired the young players and used them in the right way rather than ignore them

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #14737 on: June 20, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
Maybe -I just think he would have been completely overwhelmed by us

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14738 on: June 20, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
I think giving an ex-footballer with no managerial experience whatsoever his first job at a club our size would have been a massive gamble.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14739 on: June 20, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »

Or he did exactly that by giving our young lads another year to get themselves ready for the task of first team football hence him getting loans in to play in the first team when none of them were ready to step in week in week out last season

Offline Allan C

« Reply #14740 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »

Or he did exactly that by giving our young lads another year to get themselves ready for the task of first team football hence him getting loans in to play in the first team when none of them were ready to step in week in week out last season
[/quot
Do you really believe that?

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #14741 on: June 20, 2018, 03:00:38 PM »

He got them ready for first team football by completely depriving them of first team football and getting loans in to take their places?  Really?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14742 on: June 20, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »

In your desperation to defend Bruce at all costs, you haven't really thought that one through have you?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14743 on: June 20, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »

In your desperation to defend Bruce at all costs, you haven't really thought that one through have you?

Who nicked my spade?!

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #14744 on: June 20, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
It’s 2-3 years for me now to get back up.  Which I’d be more patient with if the approach was to sign players with a long term view (either improve or sell or develop into first team players) as opposed to the shit or bust policy we’ve adopted in the last two years.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had that approach been taken 2 years ago we may have got back us this year; or got as close but going into next year much more comfortable both financially and better prepared in terms of game time afforded to our younger players (Steer, Suliman, Lyden, Green, O’Hare and RHM - ignoring those we’ve signed like Bedau and Bree)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal