collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114674 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #14700 on: June 19, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »
I cannot see, for the life of me, the reasons why people still want to keep Bruce. I really can’t

BECAUSE WE CAN'T AFFORD TO SACK HIM, pay him and his staff off and then employ and pay another manager and his own staff to come in and take on a club that has NO money to spend, needs to significantly cut the wage bill and that could VERY likely be starting the new season in August on minus 12 points before we've even kicked a ball.

IMHO at least
THATS NOT A REASON TO WANT TO KEEP HIM!! It’s why we’re stuck with the dinosaur  I Rue the day this man was selected as our manager
I think someone has to speak for those few who want to keep Steve Bruce, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I have posted before, last season was the first season in an age that I actually enjoyed (last game accepted), and for that Bruce deserves some credit, he also spoke well of the club, fans and carried himself with dignity under difficult circumstances.

This is a difficult league, we finished fourth. I really don't know who we could get to do a better job. It has been said that Bruce can't work with a team with no budget, well I'm pretty sure Hull were hardly rolling in the coffers, but he got them up twice.

I’m not bothered what he did at Hull or anywhere else to be honest
I’m only interested in what he’s done at Villa in the last two seasons near on

and under his guidance, team building, transfer policy and profligate spending is put us on the doorstep of administration so forgive me if I don’t give a shit about fucking Hull City

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14701 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »
Bruce won't get us back into the premiership.

Why not?

He only failed by one goal against the so called Fulham genius.

but he failed

big squad on top wages and finished 4th

his job was to get promoted with that team and he hadnt a clue in that final game

our average age was 30 , fulham's was 25  ..   

maybe If we hadnt been so poor after Wolves and did his job properly we might have got automatic instead of being in the play offs scoring one goal in three matches  . That team had to get up this season and he could not do it .

We will struggle if we keep Bruce

Offline Taylor

« Reply #14702 on: June 19, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »
I cannot see, for the life of me, the reasons why people still want to keep Bruce. I really can’t

BECAUSE WE CAN'T AFFORD TO SACK HIM, pay him and his staff off and then employ and pay another manager and his own staff to come in and take on a club that has NO money to spend, needs to significantly cut the wage bill and that could VERY likely be starting the new season in August on minus 12 points before we've even kicked a ball.

IMHO at least
THATS NOT A REASON TO WANT TO KEEP HIM!! It’s why we’re stuck with the dinosaur  I Rue the day this man was selected as our manager
I think someone has to speak for those few who want to keep Steve Bruce, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I have posted before, last season was the first season in an age that I actually enjoyed (last game accepted), and for that Bruce deserves some credit, he also spoke well of the club, fans and carried himself with dignity under difficult circumstances.

This is a difficult league, we finished fourth. I really don't know who we could get to do a better job. It has been said that Bruce can't work with a team with no budget, well I'm pretty sure Hull were hardly rolling in the coffers, but he got them up twice.

and under his guidance, team building, transfer policy and profligate spending is put us on the doorstep of administration so forgive me if I don’t give a shit about fucking Hull City
Neither do I, hence the comment about enjoying the season.

If Bruce believed that Tony Xia could afford the profligate spending, what would you expect him to do?

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #14703 on: June 19, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
You're talking about £1-£1.5 million pounds. That's the cost of a Glenn Whelan. We might not have much to spend this year but I doubt we'll be that destitute.

are you being serious?, if so where have you been for the last 2 weeks?

we have NOTHING, we OWE a LOT of money and we don't even have that. we aren't going to be spending a penny on players anytime soon clearly

1. I think someone who claimed recently that a manager had no impact on where a team finished in the league can't accuse other posters of not being serious.
2. Also, we just renewed Alan Hutton's contract so we've already spent more than a penny on a player. You do understand that wages and signing on fees cost money as well? Even if on £10k per week, that's £500k plus signing on fee they've just committed to that they didn't have to. So to say we have nothing, no money at all clearly is not true.
3. Capitalising words doesn't make your point any more valid, it's just annoying.
4. Finally, neither you nor I, nor anyone has any idea what we do and don't have. It's all pure guesswork as to how much of a mess we are in despite your constant 'we have nothing at all', 'we're doomed', 'it's all over' on every single thread that is started.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:02:48 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #14704 on: June 19, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »

IMHO at least

If Bruce believed that Tony Xia could afford the profligate spending, what would you expect him to do?

Spend the money wisely and use the players bought with it well?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14705 on: June 19, 2018, 09:02:53 PM »

Spend the money wisely and use the players bought with it well?

and create a squad that lasts for longer than 12 months with absolutely no return on the investment.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #14706 on: June 19, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
I hadn't thought of that. Is it really that easy? I bow to your superior knowledge.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #14707 on: June 19, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
Nope not easy but you can guarantee you're going to have the problems we have now if you put most of the budget you get into loans and guys in their mid 30s.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #14708 on: June 19, 2018, 09:23:52 PM »
Where did this 3 million pay-off figure come from ?

If Bruce didn't have a clause in his contract regarding failure to secure promotion, then add that criminal naivety to the board's list of heinous acts. Surely even our numpties inserted a minimal or zero pay-off clause in if we didn't go up.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14709 on: June 19, 2018, 10:04:00 PM »
Just out of interest, has anybody at the club actually spoken to Bruce this summer?

his son

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #14710 on: June 19, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »

If Bruce didn't have a clause in his contract regarding failure to secure promotion, then add that criminal naivety to the board's list of heinous acts. Surely even our numpties inserted a minimal or zero pay-off clause in if we didn't go up.
I'm not sure many managers would agree to that clause to be honest, so that's a bit harsh on the club.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #14711 on: June 19, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »

I'm not sure many managers would agree to that clause to be honest, so that's a bit harsh on the club.

It was there for his first season though when he signed up for the job.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #14712 on: June 19, 2018, 10:21:55 PM »

In the context of the club, league and squad I think you'd have to have a low opinion of yourself to not think you could get us promoted in 2 seasons.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14713 on: June 19, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »

Agree entirely. The board backed the manager in his transfer policy. He spoke with enthusiasm about taking the "experienced" approach. That approach had it worked nobody would be questioning but it simply had to work.....

Sorry Toronto but plenty of people were questioning the approach because even if it had worked the short term thinking meant we'd have struggled to compete at PL level without a very significant amount of investment.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14714 on: June 19, 2018, 11:40:33 PM »
I can kind of understand some of the reasons put forward for keeping Bruce, like the ones put forward by Chris Smith about not introducing another level of uncertainty.  It may even be that we can;t afford to fire him, I don;t know.  But trying to justify keeping him based on his negative failed performance last season or the one before, that I really can't understand. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal