collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2128837 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #14655 on: June 19, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »
He needs to be fucked off rapidly and you get someone like Flores in his place (because doubtless someone will next ask "but who could do better?"). Done it before, no compensation to offer, wants to come back to England.

I sense a flaw in your cunning plan ... i'm not sure it needs saying yet again but lets give it ago

Where is the 3 million Bruce pay off, plus the paying off his staff going to come from ?

It's like we're going round in circles lately

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14656 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »
Bruce won't get us back into the premiership.

Why not?

He only failed by one goal against the so called Fulham genius.

Getting to the play-off final and losing by one goal is a red herring.  We were several points behind Fulham and the others, and Fulham were much better than us on the day and over the season.  Bruce failed with , allegedly, the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad the second tier has ever seen.   He'll now lose a lot of his expensive loan players, possibly some of our better players as well and may well have to rely on cheaper loanees,  free transfers on low wages,  and the kids he failed to develop last year.  Yet you think he's going to do better.   I hope you're right but I think it's beyond optimistic

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #14657 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
He needs to be fucked off rapidly and you get someone like Flores in his place (because doubtless someone will next ask "but who could do better?"). Done it before, no compensation to offer, wants to come back to England.

I sense a flaw in your cunning plan ... i'm not sure it needs saying yet again but lets give it ago

Where is the 3 million Bruce pay off, plus the paying off his staff going to come from ?

Same place as the 3 million we'd be paying him if he stayed for the year?

Online ajmant

« Reply #14658 on: June 19, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »
Thankfully any new manager wont need paying so we make an overall saving? So really we are quids in by getting rid of Bruce?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14659 on: June 19, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »

and after that year we’d still owe him another 3 mill or keep him on for another 3 mill

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #14660 on: June 19, 2018, 04:02:08 PM »

and after that year we’d still owe him another 3 mill or keep him on for another 3 mill

True but irrelevant to the question asked, which was where would the 3 million come from to pay him off. We have to pay him the 3 million whatever happens. Unless he walks.

In answer to the post above yours, yes it would be cost-effective over 2 years to get rid of him and employ a cheaper and potentially better suited to our circumstances manager. £3 million payoff for Bruce, employ new manager on £1m (for example). = £5m over two years, as opposed to £6m. Thereafter a saving of £2m per season.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14661 on: June 19, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »
I'd imagine a Bruce pay-off would be spread on a monthly basis over the remaining 12 months of his contact; effectively, gardening-leave. If he were to take another job during the next 12 months we'd be free to stop the payments.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14662 on: June 19, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »

Why not?

Getting to the play-off final and losing by one goal is a red herring.  We were several points behind Fulham and the others, and Fulham were much better than us on the day and over the season.  Bruce failed with , allegedly, the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad the second tier has ever seen.   He'll now lose a lot of his expensive loan players, possibly some of our better players as well and may well have to rely on cheaper loanees,  free transfers on low wages,  and the kids he failed to develop last year.  Yet you think he's going to do better.   I hope you're right but I think it's beyond optimistic

Well Fulham were points behind Cardiff, but allegedly were a far better side.

Would they have been wanting their manager sacked if we'd beat them because of that ?

Nah.

This whole most expensively assembled squad in the division pish (i'm not even sure if it's true) is a real red herring. As i'm sure many on here have banged on at how shit a lot of them are throughout the season. You can't have it both ways. It's not like Bruce asked or wanted half of them either, he probably knows as well as anyone how useless a lot of them are regardless of what they cost the club.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14663 on: June 19, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »

and the millions the new manager and his chosen staff would cost in wages ???

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #14664 on: June 19, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »

and the millions the new manager and his chosen staff would cost in wages ???

Oh come on. There are plenty of managers and coaches who would work for a lot less than we currently pay. Like most of the ones currently employed in the Championship for a start.

You're talking about £1-£1.5 million pounds. That's the cost of a Glenn Whelan. We might not have much to spend this year but I doubt we'll be that destitute.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14665 on: June 19, 2018, 04:40:41 PM »
Bruce was brought in for one reason and one reason only, to get us promoted and he's failed twice. For me it doesn't matter if it was by 1 goal, 1 point, or 30 points, failure is failure. And having failed twice, i'm surprised anyone thinks it will be third time lucky with him when most likely we'll have a much inferior squad than the previous 2 seasons that ended with us still in division 2. The only reason I can see to keep him is if we can't afford to sack him.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14666 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
I don't understand what's complicated about this, Bruce was employed to get us promotion, not get near it. He was given the resources he needed to get the players he wanted for automatic promotion and started with a squad better than most sides in the league so he can have no complaints if he's sacked for missing the only meaningful target he had.

The whole 'but for one goal' argument also ignores the fact that Fulham were comfortably on top for most of the game, look at how pissed off most posters on here were, the reason for that is because we never looked like we were getting back into the game.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #14667 on: June 19, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »

Why not?

Well Fulham were points behind Cardiff, but allegedly were a far better side.

Would they have been wanting their manager sacked if we'd beat them because of that ?

Nah.

This whole most expensively assembled squad in the division pish (i'm not even sure if it's true) is a real red herring. As i'm sure many on here have banged on at how shit a lot of them are throughout the season. You can't have it both ways. It's not like Bruce asked or wanted half of them either, he probably knows as well as anyone how useless a lot of them are regardless of what they cost the club.
He signed Johnstone,Terry,Taylor ,Snodgrass,Grabban,Hogan,Onomah,Tuanzebe,Elmo,Hourihane,Lansbury,Bjarnason ,Samba ,Whelan and Bree. He inherited Chester,Hutton,Jedi,Grealish and Adomah,all  5 started at Wembley.Add a reserve keeper in Bunn or Steer and youngsters like Green,Davis and O'Hare etc .There's an expensive first team squad of whom he signed 15.And only 6 of those started in Villa's most game of the season.
So if half the squad are useless or he didn't want,how come he signed the majority ,9,of the players  that aren't good enough for the first X1. You can't have it both ways.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14668 on: June 19, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
I don't understand what's complicated about this, Bruce was employed to get us promotion, not get near it. He was given the resources he needed to get the players he wanted for automatic promotion and started with a squad better than most sides in the league so he can have no complaints if he's sacked for missing the only meaningful target he had.

The whole 'but for one goal' argument also ignores the fact that Fulham were comfortably on top for most of the game, look at how pissed off most posters on here were, the reason for that is because we never looked like we were getting back into the game.
Apart from the 3 golden chances we had. 2 for Grealish and 1 for Hogan. And 1 more if you include Jack's run followed by a tame finish.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14669 on: June 19, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »

You're quite right, he's lucky to still be in a job. I would say though, what so complicated about people having a difference of opinion?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal