collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2127001 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #11370 on: March 21, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
What we desperately need is stability and we're now getting it now under Bruce. I'd be happy for him to stay irrespective of whether we get promoted or not.

Call me greedy but I'd prefer stability to come with progress otherwise what was the point of assembling the most expensive squad in the history of the Championship. I have little desire to see us as a stable club in the Championship but each to their own.

Yes.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #11371 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
Because not everything in life is black and white, that’s why Paul.

I am not 100% convinced either way myself,  but it’s perfectly conceivable that someone would look at our season as a whole and say after a very poor start and despite severe injury issues the team has improved to an extent where performances are on track and it makes sense to continue on that path.

Like I said I’m not sure myself yet and for me it would very much depend on how we finish the season.   But to say a that the club shouldn’t look at the wider picture and not the end result in isolation seems a bit daft.
You're right, Chris, except for the point that if we continue in the 2nd tier next season our squad and the demands it will make on coaching and selection decisions will be very different. We will lose a number of wanted and unwanted players and not have the same budget to attract replacements; the manager and coaches will need to be able to work with a squad where there are likely to be more development needs.
The Good Doctor - and more likely Wyness and Round - will need to decide what sort of manager is required; and it may not be the current coaching team.
I completely agree with you Richard.  The point I was making was in response to Paul's comment that he wasn't sure why we were even discussing it if we miss the target of promotion.  My point was it isn't that simple, nor should it be.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11372 on: March 21, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
I can see both sides of the argument on this one. If he fails to get us up, then I think he'll be expecting to be let go and I think they will. I can also see the argument of giving him another crack at it.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11373 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »
Because not everything in life is black and white, that’s why Paul.

I am not 100% convinced either way myself,  but it’s perfectly conceivable that someone would look at our season as a whole and say after a very poor start and despite severe injury issues the team has improved to an extent where performances are on track and it makes sense to continue on that path.

Like I said I’m not sure myself yet and for me it would very much depend on how we finish the season.   But to say a that the club shouldn’t look at the wider picture and not the end result in isolation seems a bit daft.
You're right, Chris, except for the point that if we continue in the 2nd tier next season our squad and the demands it will make on coaching and selection decisions will be very different. We will lose a number of wanted and unwanted players and not have the same budget to attract replacements; the manager and coaches will need to be able to work with a squad where there are likely to be more development needs.
The Good Doctor - and more likely Wyness and Round - will need to decide what sort of manager is required; and it may not be the current coaching team.
I completely agree with you Richard.  The point I was making was in response to Paul's comment that he wasn't sure why we were even discussing it if we miss the target of promotion.  My point was it isn't that simple, nor should it be.
Richard?!
MisterE, please (or, Dave if you must!)  :D :D

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #11374 on: March 21, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »
Too many E's being dropped on this thread.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #11375 on: March 21, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
Mister E, Richard E, Paul E, John E...

E's are good, but this is too much

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11376 on: March 21, 2018, 01:14:40 PM »
I would suggest that there is a stronger argument for sticking with him if we narrowly fail this season than last season.
He should have been fired last season once it became apparent that he had failed to achieve the trick he was hired for and which he got no where near.
Instead they bet the farm on assembling an incredibly expensive Bruce type squad, as Paul E said with a one season expirey date.
I would definitely replace him if we go up, I would be tempted to hire Warnock if we don’t.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #11377 on: March 21, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
If we are still in the Championship next season with Steve Bruce in charge I shall buy my season ticket but not go to, or watch many Villa games.  It is more about me than Bruce.  These last few years of under achievement have taken their toll on me.  The effort of following Villa home and away needs reward over and above so-so football.  For me anyway.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11378 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »

Let me clarify what I meant because reading it back it wasn't clear, everything I've read from Xia makes me think that there is absolutely no chance of Bruce keeping his job if we stay down, I just don't think he would accept Bruce missing his target.  On top of that, as above, if we do fail to get promotion I firmly believe that the team we start the season with will be very different to the one we've seen recently so the arguments around stability and letting him keep going with his squad don't fit with that either.

If either of those things weren't true then I can understand the desire to keep him but I just don't see any circumstance where we go into another season in the championship with Bruce in charge that doesn't worry me because it'll suggest Xia isn't who we think or isn't as interested as we think.  Let's be honest, is a chairman who sacked a manager after 12 games likely to give someone a clear target of promotion and then be ok with not getting it?

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #11379 on: March 21, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
If we are still in the Championship next season with Steve Bruce in charge I shall buy my season ticket but not go to, or watch many Villa games.  It is more about me than Bruce.  These last few years of under achievement have taken their toll on me.  The effort of following Villa home and away needs reward over and above so-so football.  For me anyway.
Brian
I totally understand where you are coming from.  But have you not enjoyed this season more than the last 6?  If so, having suffered all of those years, isn’t it a strange time to chop it in?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11380 on: March 21, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
if we are in this league again next year it might be time for another 'young and hungry' building project
I supported it last time as a good long term option for the club, but obviously we didn't have the right manager to see it through then he bottled it and bought Grant Holt,

if finances are tight it might be the only option
old players make mistakes because they are old and their best days are behind them they know they will not get any better,
young players make mistakes because they lack experience but will improve, it's a better policy in this league because the standard is so low and everyone makes too many mistakes
giving them time to learn on the job

I don't think our squad overall is that strong anyway so it wouldn't be a big risk as far as I'm concerned to give youth it's chance

need the right manager though, don't know who that could be

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #11381 on: March 21, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
I think Tony Xia's mind was made up some time ago.  I don't think failure in the play offs however narrowly will make him change his mind.  Whichever way the fickle finger of fate points we shall see a very different Villa next season.

Bruce was picked by Wyness anyway. Round has more influence than I thought though. It was him that fetched in Agnew.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11382 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Brian
I totally understand where you are coming from.  But have you not enjoyed this season more than the last 6?  If so, having suffered all of those years, isn’t it a strange time to chop it in?

I've enjoyed this season overall. Ok, it's not where we want to be but having something to aim for has made it a lot more enjoyable than being walloped every week.

Steve Bruce in charge or not, it's still the Villa.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #11383 on: March 21, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »
Brian

I've enjoyed this season overall. Ok, it's not where we want to be but having something to aim for has made it a lot more enjoyable than being walloped every week.

This has been the most enjoyable season for ages. Is it five times we’ve hit 4 or more goals?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #11384 on: March 21, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »
Brian

This has been the most enjoyable season for ages. Is it five times we’ve hit 4 or more goals?

Not sure. How many games have I missed?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal