collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2123235 times)

Offline Canadian Villa

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #10365 on: January 23, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
To be fair to Wimbledon, They rose up from non-league by playing a standard football that wins games and having the team spirit and togetherness that created a will to win. The football wasn't pretty but it was very successful given their resources. They grew at a tie when football attendances were on the decline as well. It's unfair to say that they couldn't get enough supporters to watch them was all about their style. People aren't just going to switch from their current supported club, it takes time to build a solid fan base. I loved what they did and for me they will go down in folklore for what they achieved, just like Leicester winning the Prem

i loved it when they beat Liverpool in the FA cup because i cant stand Liverpool
but apart from that i think the old Wimbledon represent everything i hate about football

the way they played was not worth watching couldn't even call it football most of the time,
they were thugs and cheats on the pitch, time wasters and knew ever trick to try and get one over on the opposition even if it meant injury
i know its probably the only way they were ever going to be successful during that short period but you still don't have to like it

i'm glad they ar'nt around anymore turning the beautiful game into some sort of cage fighting horror show

I agree with you there. They are a good example of doing whatever it takes to win and be successful, if that's what you want. I remember a Villa fan friend of mine a few years ago saying that he wished we went for it and spent everything we could to try and win the league even if it meant doing a 'leeds'. we aren't friends anymore

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10366 on: January 23, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
Sir Graham's Watford got similar criticism to Wimbledon, but as he said, they didn't get it when they went from the fourth division to the third; it only started when they were winning at Anfield and Old Trafford.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10367 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »
Sir Graham's Watford got similar criticism to Wimbledon, but as he said, they didn't get it when they went from the fourth division to the third; it only started when they were winning at Anfield and Old Trafford.

They got the criticism for those reasons as you say, but they were nothing like those horrible bastards.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #10368 on: January 23, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
He may well have finally turned us around and found some consistency.  Four wins on the bounce plus playing some good football along the way is a start but bloody hell it's taken long enough,  and I'd still like to see it continue over a more sustained period before I'm convinced by him.  It may well be that Agnew has brought the extra we needed to the table.  Let's hope so.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #10369 on: January 23, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »
Bruce should have done what I do on Football Manager. I keep reloading a previously saved game to go with a completely new formation to see if that works. I've managed to turn back being fired twice with Brighton in the Championship to go on a run of 12 straight wins to put me in promotion contention.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10370 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »

They got the criticism for those reasons as you say, but they were nothing like those horrible bastards.

Agreed. Taylor played direct football but nothing like the vile Wimbledon team of the ‘80s. I quite like direct football anyway. Nothing better than seeing the ball quickly moved out to a winger for him to cross it onto a centreforward’s head. What’s not to like?

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #10371 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »

Agreed. Taylor played direct football but nothing like the vile Wimbledon team of the ‘80s. I quite like direct football anyway. Nothing better than seeing the ball quickly moved out to a winger for him to cross it onto a centreforward’s head. What’s not to like?

We English do love a good cross for some reason. I remember watching Barcelona and the wide man got to the byline and not a single Barca player wanted to get into the box and just stopped on the edge. Stick in the mixer!!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10372 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »

We English do love a good cross for some reason. I remember watching Barcelona and the wide man got to the byline and not a single Barca player wanted to get into the box and just stopped on the edge. Stick in the mixer!!

I’m embarrassed to say it really but I honestly can’t bear to watch the likes of Arsenal and Barcelona etc with their unrelenting passing sometimes. Just get it out wide and cross the bloody ball in!

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #10373 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
I think the best teams can mix it up   , counter attack, possession. As long as its fast and accurate and effective.  There is no wrong or right way to play in my mind

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #10374 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:29 PM »

There's a good BT Sport documentary about Wimbledon and their rise to the top flight.  I think it can be found on Youtube. 

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #10375 on: January 24, 2018, 12:34:21 AM »

There's a good BT Sport documentary about Wimbledon and their rise to the top flight.  I think it can be found on Youtube.

Is it time for my anti Wimbledon rant yet? No, oh ok.....

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #10376 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:32 AM »

Is it time for my anti Wimbledon rant yet? No, oh ok.....

It's always a good time. Let it all out. You are amongst friends here.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #10377 on: January 24, 2018, 06:03:14 AM »
Make sure there are liberal helpings of abuse for that pair of short arsed tossers, Wise and Gibson.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10378 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »

I'd also suggest that in the 3rd/4th division the general standard of football means that boring route one stuff doesn't necessarily stand out.  In the top two divisions the players are invariably capable of a more cultured game so seeing them being instructed to go route one is going to attract more criticism.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10379 on: January 24, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »
The Premier League could do with another Wimbledon upsetting everybody and giving the big sides a beating every now and again. It won't ever happen again though because money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal