collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113628 times)

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7980 on: November 19, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »
To move us up the table, Bruce had to address the away form. 13 points from the last 18 available on the road suggests he is going the right way about this.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #7981 on: November 19, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »
QPR fans didn't seem to think we were too abhorrent:

'Villa were the best side we have played this season at LR and deserved to win. Better, tougher, fitter, faster
We won't play too many teams like Villa who looked like a prem side at times but they do have players worth about as much as our club these days.'

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #7982 on: November 19, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
Negative would have left us with more draws?

Offline Grocer

« Reply #7983 on: November 19, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
I find it strange that the main thrust of the criticism of Bruce seems to centre around a perception that his teams are boring and negative, yet we have produced many good, dominating attacking performances, and most of the best have come away from home, where you would expect to see most evidence of this ‘safety first’ football.

There can be little doubt that we have steadily improved since last season, and are on a continual upward curve. Should we fail to achieve promotion this season Bruce will be gone, yet the prospect of us going backwards again under a new manager would seem just as realistic as anything else. We have no divine right to promotion, and I think we are doing as well as one might have realistically  hoped, although the form of the top three means that there is little margin for error with the gap to be made up.

Spot on.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #7984 on: November 19, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
I find it strange that the main thrust of the criticism of Bruce seems to centre around a perception that his teams are boring and negative, yet we have produced many good, dominating attacking performances, and most of the best have come away from home, where you would expect to see most evidence of this ‘safety first’ football.

There can be little doubt that we have steadily improved since last season, and are on a continual upward curve. Should we fail to achieve promotion this season Bruce will be gone, yet the prospect of us going backwards again under a new manager would seem just as realistic as anything else. We have no divine right to promotion, and I think we are doing as well as one might have realistically  hoped, although the form of the top three means that there is little margin for error with the gap to be made up.

The bold bit fucks me off somewhat. I missed Norwich, don't travel away any more, so all I've seen is the more "boring", "negative", "safety first" football.

True, there's only been the one home league defeat, but we're three months into the season now and I've not seen us score three, nor win by more than the odd goal. Not for the first time, I get to read of a sparkling away performance that whets my appetite for next game.

Tuesday's opposition are shit, Steve. Send us out for ninety minutes on the front foot. Let a home crowd enjoy twenty-and-then-some efforts at goal. Please stop teasing me with what goes on away.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7985 on: November 19, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
Teams come to Villa Park to frustrate and sit in. Fulham by all accounts played some lovely stuff against Derby but game to Villa Park to bore us to tears.

It's very similar to MON in that respect, although our home form is better.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #7986 on: November 19, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
Teams come to Villa Park to frustrate and sit in. Fulham by all accounts played some lovely stuff against Derby but game to Villa Park to bore us to tears.

Fulham came to Villa Park and tried to play, quite the opposite of sitting back and boring us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7987 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
I disagree. I thought they were tedious shite and the only positive is that they weren't as tediously shite as the previous season.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #7988 on: November 19, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
I disagree. I thought they were tedious shite and the only positive is that they weren't as tediously shite as the previous season.

We'll agree to disagree then, Fulham to me showed ambition but lacked quality.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7989 on: November 19, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »
I didn't think Fulham were that great either. Brentford were better than them.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7990 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
His Villa team has in the main been boring and negative.
His approach is usually safety first.
With the resources he should be more positive, the team was today and dominated as they should be doing more times than they have.
Realistically we should be in the top 2 places or very neat again based on resources.
It was a good win and now we need a lot more as we are playing catch up.

I disagree, I don't think we've been boring or negative at all. We've been poor yes, but not boring. My main criticism is that we don't kill teams off. We should have comfortably been 3 of 4 up yesterday but we were forced to throw on the likes of Jedinak and take the wingers off in the last 10 minutes to keep it tight. It's not always for the lack of trying though.

I think he's doing a reasonable job. The main aim now is to stay in amongst it and chip away. Sheff Utd will drop points at some point.

Online Pete3206

« Reply #7991 on: November 19, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

I thought the Fulham game was the best match at Villa Park this season. Not that it's saying much, but at least it was an open game, end to end.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7992 on: November 19, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »

I was lucky that our last time in this division coincided with me leaving school and earning enough money to go to the majority of our away games for the first time. We had a good number of great days out. I dread to think what my memories of the season would have been if I had only gone to the home games. The only three that stand out are losing to Small Heath and the final two against Shrewsbury and Bradford. Although if I remember right we thrashed Hull while I was away on holiday.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:52:55 AM by Damo70 »

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7993 on: November 19, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »
I didn't think Fulham were that great either. Brentford were better than them.

I thought the Fulham game was the best match I’ve seen at home all season. Both teams went for it, and I thought Fulham were decent.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7994 on: November 19, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
His Villa team has in the main been boring and negative.
His approach is usually safety first.
With the resources he should be more positive, the team was today and dominated as they should be doing more times than they have.
Realistically we should be in the top 2 places or very neat again based on resources.
It was a good win and now we need a lot more as we are playing catch up.

I disagree, I don't think we've been boring or negative at all. We've been poor yes, but not boring. My main criticism is that we don't kill teams off. We should have comfortably been 3 of 4 up yesterday but we were forced to throw on the likes of Jedinak and take the wingers off in the last 10 minutes to keep it tight. It's not always for the lack of trying though.

I think he's doing a reasonable job. The main aim now is to stay in amongst it and chip away. Sheff Utd will drop points at some point.

I agree with this though. No way have we been tedious or boring this season. We’ve played some decent stuff and the only negative is that we haven’t finished enough teams off.
Compared to the last 7 years this is heaven.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal