collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113395 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7860 on: November 08, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »
Bruce will never win 7 in 8 with us.

Draw 7 in 8? Maybe. But win? No way.

We won 5 out of 6 recently so why not?

When?

Derby- WIN
Bristol City- WIN
Rotherham- WIN
Huddersfield- LOSS
Sheff Weds- WIN
Wigan- WIN
Norwich- WIN
QPR- WIN

7 wins in 8 I believe.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7861 on: November 08, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »

When?

Derby- WIN
Bristol City- WIN
Rotherham- WIN
Huddersfield- LOSS
Sheff Weds- WIN
Wigan- WIN
Norwich- WIN
QPR- WIN

7 wins in 8 I believe.

Rotherham probably won't count as they went down or something.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7862 on: November 08, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »

When?

Last month.

Do you mean 4 out of 5?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7863 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »

When?

Derby- WIN
Bristol City- WIN
Rotherham- WIN
Huddersfield- LOSS
Sheff Weds- WIN
Wigan- WIN
Norwich- WIN
QPR- WIN

7 wins in 8 I believe.

Nope. He's talking about "last month" - not last season.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #7864 on: November 08, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
Between September and October we beat Barnsley, Burton, Forest, Bolton and Fulham and lost to Wolves.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7865 on: November 08, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »

He did last season.

He also lost 8 in 9, just before.

I don't think either of those runs are going to happen again, with Bruce now going for 0-0 draws every time we play away or against anyone decent.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7866 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »
Between September and October we beat Barnsley, Burton, Forest, Bolton and Fulham and lost to Wolves.

Sorry. I thought you meant all games. I keep forgetting Cup games don't count, to a lot of Villa fans these days.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #7867 on: November 08, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »

He did last season.

I don't think either of those runs are going to happen again, with Bruce now going for 0-0 draws every time we play away or against anyone decent.

My issue is that it is more than likely, in my opinion, to happen again.
I don't see our team getting any kind of consistency.

I could put up with the god awful football if I thought it was taking us anywhere - I advocated Pulis before he went to West Bromwich.

If Derby or Ipswich win their game in hand, we are out the playoff places again.
That's our battle now and it's unacceptable with our spending/squad.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7868 on: November 08, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »

When?

Derby- WIN
Bristol City- WIN
Rotherham- WIN
Huddersfield- LOSS
Sheff Weds- WIN
Wigan- WIN
Norwich- WIN
QPR- WIN

7 wins in 8 I believe.

Nope. He's talking about "last month" - not last season.

"Bruce will never win 7 out of 8".

He has done. You're wrong. Don't be an arse.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #7869 on: November 08, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »
We need a squad that have players who can hold their own in the premiership, I can't see one except Terry
who can meet that standard, so what does the manager do go out and buy a complete squad if we are promoted.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7870 on: November 08, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

He did last season.

I could put up with the god awful football if I thought it was taking us anywhere - I advocated Pulis before he went to West Bromwich.

If Derby or Ipswich win their game in hand, we are out the playoff places again.

Except where's the evidence it's likely? We've been on a pretty good run haven't we? That points to success rather than failure.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7871 on: November 08, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
Bruce goes for 0-0 draws? We've won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1 of our last 5 away games.

Good run for is that. 9 goals scores too and only 2 conceded. But carry on.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #7872 on: November 08, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
We’ve seen home wins, we’ve seen away wins, we’ve seen team spirit and battling performances, we’ve seen the fans back on side.  So has he stopped the slide, the rot?  I’d say yes.  Would Koeman or another manager?  Who knows?
It absolutely needs to get better, much better, but we now have a feeling of stability.
I don’t know if we’ll go up or not, but I do feel he has done a job that may have been too big and too difficult for other less experienced managers.

Are the slide and the rot the same thing?  I'd say not, the slide down to here was a consequence and, like the short-term appointment he is, Bruce has sort of addressed it (but until we're top 2 not fully) but we've seen nothing to suggest what he's doing has addressed the long-term problems of poor scouting/transfers, a style that lives and dies in the managers office and a failure to adapt to a modern approach to the game.

We have no idea whether a different style of manager would've done better or worse and we have no idea whether the 'stability' that you believe he's provided is real but given it's been built around a lot of players who are closing in on retirement I suspect it's just set us up for another 'transition' next summer (or the one after at best).

So RDM never happened then?

You'll have to clarify how you've got to there because that has literally fuck all to do with anything I wrote.  Unless you're trying to suggest that RDM is the only other style of manager we could've picked and him failing means any manager other than Bruce would've failed as well.  For most people on this forum I wouldn't even imagine they could think that but you have history of making ridiculous claims so I guess it's possible.

You said we have no idea whether a different style of manager would have done better or worse.

RDM is a different style if manager and he didn't work so you are the one talking rubbish and clearly but you keep telling yourself that it's other people that are making ridiculous claims.

Hopefully it'll be a good few games until you get all excited about Villa losing and how you can claim Bruce is rubbish and he needs to be sacked again.

Imagine being a Villa fan and only enjoying when Villa lose.... Oh wait you don't need to imagine that do you.
I’m getting sick of the suggestion that because fans don’t like Bruce then we enjoy villa getting beaten. I’ve supported us and cheered villa wins under every manager from Docherty to this current dinosaur whether I liked the manager or not. Nobody will convince me that Bruce is the right man for us and I think we’ve blown a chance to rebuild properly when we hired him. But I love the villa and I’ll never celebrate a defeat even if it means goodbye to Bruce

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #7873 on: November 08, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »

He did last season.

Except where's the evidence it's likely? We've been on a pretty good run haven't we? That points to success rather than failure.

But isn't that what we've had so far, good and bad runs?

I'm happy with both views. I just don't like the football or his results, we should be doing much better.
I know Bruce will not be sacked but I doubt we'll get promoted, unless it's as a result of a playoff lottery.

Perhaps he is lucky.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #7874 on: November 08, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »

Not rewritten, his first 2-3 seasons were excellent but from there he just couldn't find a way to take the next step.  His time there was a lot like mon for us.

That said, you're not the person I was talking about, i meant the people who were voting for him on the poll a couple of months ago when Bruce looked close to fucked.

Sorry for dipping back two pages. Busy day yesterday. Are you sure about not rewriting? In his first four seasons Everton finished 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th. The rest of the time was 5th to 8th  which, given the spending power of those above was a reasonable if not necessarily spectacular return. In the 10 seasons before Moyes, Everton finished top half once. They've had two bottom half finishes in the four seasons since Moyes left.

I think you're misunderstanding me.  He got them to 4th in his 3rd season, that was a great achievement but the following summer he showed how limited he was and from there they stood still because he couldn't find a way to move them on any more.  What came before and after doesn't really matter, he hit a ceiling and got stuck, which is exactly what happened with mon at Villa.  Both clubs made the mistake of letting the manager keep trying the same thing over and over again with evidence to suggest that what they were doing was having no effect.  That they got it wrong with the next guy doesn't really change that.

I don't think I am. You said his first three seasons were excellent. The first was good progress, the second was very nearly relegation and the third was brilliant. The rest was as good as you could reasonably expect given the disparity in wealth in the top flight and better/more consistent than comparable clubs. Meanwhile, surely the obvious comparison would be with what went before and after at the same club and his results were clearly better even if his football wasn't as pretty as Martinez produced.

Opinions on what he'd do now are just that, but his record at Everton is there to see and it ain't half bad. It's worth remembering it wasn't just the manager who kept doing the same thing (which they all tend to do from Ferguson to McLeish) it was the club as a whole, dictated in the main by their finances in comparison to the rest of the league.

It all means next to nothing if considering him for any job now, but the rewriting of Moyes (and most others for that matter) goes on by his fans and detractors.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal