collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114080 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7845 on: November 08, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
We’ve seen home wins, we’ve seen away wins, we’ve seen team spirit and battling performances, we’ve seen the fans back on side.  So has he stopped the slide, the rot?  I’d say yes.  Would Koeman or another manager?  Who knows?
It absolutely needs to get better, much better, but we now have a feeling of stability.
I don’t know if we’ll go up or not, but I do feel he has done a job that may have been too big and too difficult for other less experienced managers.

I'd pretty much agree with that. I thought he was the right choice at the time and I still do.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #7846 on: November 08, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
Did not want Bruce as I consider him yesterdays news and his tactical nous is proving he is even worse than that. Yes he has stopped the rot within the club to a degree but all I hear is "this is a tough league and you need to know how to grind out results"  Does that give license to play such defensive shite?

It certainly was not needed by Newcastle or Brighton who played some wonderful stuff at times - same for Wolves at present

My argument was always based on our return to the Premiership would require him to go and a better suited man came in - would rather hit the Premiership with momentum and a style of play than Bruce buying all his "Experienced pro's" and we ending up with has been's on big contracts.

Without results (the only measure) the football is shite to watch - and I don't think anyone expects that to change any time soon - in fact without Terry for a while he will pack in even more defensively minded players

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7847 on: November 08, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
A little bit of Dave just died inside.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #7848 on: November 08, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
Spot on, Hookey! Still want him out. Saturday emphasised all of his inadequacies. Lightweight two outnumbered in midfield,. Samba up front...ffs. Get rid asap.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7849 on: November 08, 2017, 02:14:25 PM »
A little bit of Dave just died inside.

I've been an empty husk for years now anyway.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7850 on: November 08, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
We’ve seen home wins, we’ve seen away wins, we’ve seen team spirit and battling performances, we’ve seen the fans back on side.  So has he stopped the slide, the rot?  I’d say yes.  Would Koeman or another manager?  Who knows?
It absolutely needs to get better, much better, but we now have a feeling of stability.
I don’t know if we’ll go up or not, but I do feel he has done a job that may have been too big and too difficult for other less experienced managers.

Are the slide and the rot the same thing?  I'd say not, the slide down to here was a consequence and, like the short-term appointment he is, Bruce has sort of addressed it (but until we're top 2 not fully) but we've seen nothing to suggest what he's doing has addressed the long-term problems of poor scouting/transfers, a style that lives and dies in the managers office and a failure to adapt to a modern approach to the game.

We have no idea whether a different style of manager would've done better or worse and we have no idea whether the 'stability' that you believe he's provided is real but given it's been built around a lot of players who are closing in on retirement I suspect it's just set us up for another 'transition' next summer (or the one after at best).

So RDM never happened then?

You'll have to clarify how you've got to there because that has literally fuck all to do with anything I wrote.  Unless you're trying to suggest that RDM is the only other style of manager we could've picked and him failing means any manager other than Bruce would've failed as well.  For most people on this forum I wouldn't even imagine they could think that but you have history of making ridiculous claims so I guess it's possible.

You said we have no idea whether a different style of manager would have done better or worse.

RDM is a different style if manager and he didn't work so you are the one talking rubbish and clearly but you keep telling yourself that it's other people that are making ridiculous claims.

Hopefully it'll be a good few games until you get all excited about Villa losing and how you can claim Bruce is rubbish and he needs to be sacked again.

Imagine being a Villa fan and only enjoying when Villa lose.... Oh wait you don't need to imagine that do you.

Are you really this stupid?  RDM is ONE other style of manager, there are more than 2 and, even more importantly, there are good and bad managers regardless of there style of play and there are managers who don't work out but could've been fine in different circumstances.  Whittling it down to to 'we had a foreigner and he didn't do it so Bruce is the only option' is fucking stupid and yet it's exactly what you've done, as I suspected from the guy who wrote Benteke off as shit because he missed a couple of chances.

Thinking the manager isn't great and defeats like Saturday show why isn't celebrating a defeat or being happy about it, is that really such a complex idea that you can't understand it?

Let's face it being anti Bruce you are in a camp where the logic is if we win 7 out of 8 Bruce is lucky but should we lose 1 game Bruce is the worst manager ever and should be sacked immediately, that is up there with the strangest logic I have ever come across.

That is all I'm going to say on the matter as this is getting very boring.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7851 on: November 08, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Bruce will never win 7 in 8 with us.

Draw 7 in 8? Maybe. But win? No way.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #7852 on: November 08, 2017, 02:49:31 PM »

We won 5 out of 6 recently so why not?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7853 on: November 08, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Let's face it being anti Bruce you are in a camp where the logic is if we win 7 out of 8 Bruce is lucky but should we lose 1 game Bruce is the worst manager ever and should be sacked immediately, that is up there with the strangest logic I have ever come across.

That is all I'm going to say on the matter as this is getting very boring.

No it's really not, and even if it was it doesn't mean I'm eagerly waiting for that defeat as you wrongly suggested.  My logic is that football can be played in many different ways and some of those are more effective than others and the overall level of the league largely dictates that.  Over the last decade we've seen that teams who get promoted playing a style of football that is effective in the premier league have a significantly higher chance of staying up and establishing themselves than teams who don't.

However, as I've said repeatedly, I'm willing to ignore that if Bruce is set very aggressive targets (playoffs last season, top 2 this season) because the financial situation means that promotion sooner should be much easier.  I can accept him adding little long term value if it comes along with short term success but he hasn't delivered either and every time he's started to get a run of results we've fallen away again, for example we were top of the form table in september but we're 10th in the games since.  Teams that get promoted don't have those wild swings in form.

I agree though, you accusing me of being happy when we lose and of not understanding basic logic is pretty boring.  One final point though, I'm not anti-Bruce, he's just not meeting the standards I have for him (if other people have lower expectations then that's ok but don't try to tell me mine are wrong or act like you're a better fan because of it).

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7854 on: November 08, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »

When?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #7855 on: November 08, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »

When?

Last month.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #7856 on: November 08, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »
Anyone want to lay a bet on who is going to get the final word in between Paul_E and Stuart445? It's neck and neck at the moment.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #7857 on: November 08, 2017, 05:18:59 PM »
Anyone want to lay a bet on who is going to get the final word in between Paul_E and Stuart445? It's neck and neck at the moment.

No, but I'll bet on it being more than just a word.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7858 on: November 08, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »

He did last season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7859 on: November 08, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
I was about to say, that run in March-April was pretty much that.

We need to make sure we have another good run at the right time in the second half of the season e.g when we're 5 or so points off 2nd as that good run last year only came when we were miles off the top 6.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal