collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113462 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7740 on: November 05, 2017, 09:18:37 PM »
Bruce trotted out his standard clichés yesterday.  Chief amongst them was his old favourite "it's one of those horrible afternoons" as if it's a random occurrence that he played no part in and had no ability to affect.  Even if we do somehow manage to hang on to a play off spot over the rest of the season, I just cannot see Bruce getting this Villa side to win the play offs.

2 losses in 12 would suggest it is a random occurrence

2 losses in 12 is true, as is 2 in 5 or 4 in 16, the latter 2 don't make you're point as nicely though.

The stat that really matters is points per game.  We started the season needing, roughly, 2 points per game to give us a season total of 90-92, which would be enough for promotion most seasons.  After 16 games we've got 1.6 - it's not terrible but it's a pretty long way short.  More importantly it means we now need 2.1-2.2 points per game from here to get over 90 points.  To put that in context we need 5 wins in every 7 games for the rest of the season to get top 2.

For a start it's number 2 not letter.  If you want to change the stat to suit your hatred of Bruce surely 1 lose out of 1 is the one you want to use.  Some people really are sat there waiting for a loss so they can have a go at Bruce.

That's right. And they're all just trying to piss you off too.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7741 on: November 05, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
It's not a lot to different to people claiming Bruce has suddenly found the answer, after a victory against a very poor Preston side missing a big chunk of their best players.

As is usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two extreme views.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7742 on: November 05, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
Bruce trotted out his standard clichés yesterday.  Chief amongst them was his old favourite "it's one of those horrible afternoons" as if it's a random occurrence that he played no part in and had no ability to affect.  Even if we do somehow manage to hang on to a play off spot over the rest of the season, I just cannot see Bruce getting this Villa side to win the play offs.

2 losses in 12 is true, as is 2 in 5 or 4 in 16, the latter 2 don't make you're point as nicely though.

The stat that really matters is points per game.  We started the season needing, roughly, 2 points per game to give us a season total of 90-92, which would be enough for promotion most seasons.  After 16 games we've got 1.6 - it's not terrible but it's a pretty long way short.  More importantly it means we now need 2.1-2.2 points per game from here to get over 90 points.  To put that in context we need 5 wins in every 7 games for the rest of the season to get top 2.

For a start it's number 2 not letter.  If you want to change the stat to suit your hatred of Bruce surely 1 lose out of 1 is the one you want to use.  Some people really are sat there waiting for a loss so they can have a go at Bruce.

Oh dear.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7743 on: November 05, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »

That's right. And they're all just trying to piss you off too.

haha they can try to piss me off all they want, it's not going to happen.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7744 on: November 05, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »

He was being sarcastic.  I don't think anybody cares that much what you think to be honest.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7745 on: November 05, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »

He was being sarcastic.  I don't think anybody cares that much what you think to be honest.

I'm really heartbroken

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7746 on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:32 PM »
I still think the only way he will be sacked is if we have a bad enough run where being out of the promotion picture becomes a distinct possibility.  While promotion is still a possibility, I think he will remain in charge.

After our woes away from home over the last few years, it is funny that it is on our travels where we now look more threatening.  I think we look far more comfortable playing on the counter attack away from home than we do playing at home where the onus is on us to try and dictate the play.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7747 on: November 05, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »

Oh dear.
That’s cleared that up then.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7748 on: November 05, 2017, 11:36:47 PM »
I still think the only way he will be sacked is if we have a bad enough run where being out of the promotion picture becomes a distinct possibility.  While promotion is still a possibility, I think he will remain in charge.

He'll be gone at the end of the season. No matter what, he won't be our manager next season, even if he gets lucky in the play-offs again. Last Hull City promotion? It's all documented there for those that want to know. I remember sharing the link last season but I'm beyond caring now. Some will defend him no matter what, some will want him gone tomorrow. For me, I'm preparing for another season in the Championship. The day we go up I want us to be prepared to survive, not become a yo-yo club.

Nice chap that he is, he's way out of his league unless that league is no budget, midtable in the Championship. He'd be ideal to replace Cotterill.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #7749 on: November 05, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
I am going to have some faith for a change.

So we have lost Terry for a few months. OK, that sucks but we (or I at least) figured he would be a bit part player this season anyway. So we should be able to ride this injury out. We have two decent backups who will be sharper by the time the break is over as they for sure will know one of them will be first choice.

A player who has been getting better each game (Snodgrass) was so pissed off at getting subbed he let it show. Well you know what? Good for him. I WANT our players to be desperate to stay on and play their part. I hope he is back soon as well.

I see no reason we cant get back to winning ways after the break and Bruce's comments were right, we were unlucky, it happens.

#UTV we can still win this league this season. Hopefully we will.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #7750 on: November 05, 2017, 11:48:03 PM »

He'll be gone at the end of the season. No matter what, he won't be our manager next season, even if he gets lucky in the play-offs again. Last Hull City promotion? It's all documented there for those that want to know. I remember sharing the link last season but I'm beyond caring now. Some will defend him no matter what, some will want him gone tomorrow. For me, I'm preparing for another season in the Championship. The day we go up I want us to be prepared to survive, not become a yo-yo club.

Nice chap that he is, he's way out of his league unless that league is no budget, midtable in the Championship. He'd be ideal to replace Cotterill.

The thing is, a season in the Premier League and going straight back down, might go well towards building something that's more sustainable, just because of the TV money. Not sure that's something the Doctor would be up for though, I'm pretty sure if it does happen this season, he'll be splurging everything with a view to survival.

To be honest, I'm a bit uncomfortable with how things will go if we don't get promoted this season: Terry, Snodgrass, Onomah all won't be here next season, the likes of Chester and Kodjia may look for Premier League moves, and Whelan and Jedinak are year-to-year propositions at this point.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7751 on: November 06, 2017, 12:04:50 AM »

The thing is, a season in the Premier League and going straight back down, might go well towards building something that's more sustainable, just because of the TV money. Not sure that's something the Doctor would be up for though, I'm pretty sure if it does happen this season, he'll be splurging everything with a view to survival.

To be honest, I'm a bit uncomfortable with how things will go if we don't get promoted this season: Terry, Snodgrass, Onomah all won't be here next season, the likes of Chester and Kodjia may look for Premier League moves, and Whelan and Jedinak are year-to-year propositions at this point.

I honestly think the Dr will be gone before Kodja. I know we're talking days rather than months but I can't see him having the patience to rebuild again. He's invested and put all his faith in Wyness. What would you do?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7752 on: November 06, 2017, 12:54:09 AM »

Maybe, but I think he'd get a chance if we did go up.  I can't see him surviving if we don't go up though and that would include losing in the play offs.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7753 on: November 06, 2017, 12:56:33 AM »

I honestly think the Dr will be gone before Kodja. I know we're talking days rather than months but I can't see him having the patience to rebuild again. He's invested and put all his faith in Wyness. What would you do?

I could see a complete cut back and and a big emphasis on the young players coming through.  I think the chequebook will remain in the safe unless we make it back up into the top flight. 

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7754 on: November 06, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
It's not a lot to different to people claiming Bruce has suddenly found the answer, after a victory against a very poor Preston side missing a big chunk of their best players.

As is usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two extreme views.

I couldnt care less how poor Preston were. We beat them and got the points so it hardly matters.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal