collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113235 times)

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7680 on: November 04, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
He's not going after 2 defeats in 12.

I have no doubt about that.

I do have doubts about getting promoted. My prediction is 9th place with Bruce.

I really don't see us missing out on the top 6 unless we have another terrible post xmas run like last season.

Top 2 is very much debatable. It all depends on how we react after the break. We have winnable fixtures rest of this month. 7 points out of 9 should be realistic.

you really don’t have to be all the good to make the top 6 in this league
I honestly think it would be more difficult for us not to make the top 6 with this squad than actually be in it

Okay................

Expand, because  I think John is spot on.
Sorry. I’ll expand. Okaaay........

Very witty. Just no opinion.

Okay. I’ll offer my opinion. If it’s more difficult to be out of the top 6 than in it why are there so many teams out of it..?

he's not being anal with his language, he's talking about the players Bruce has at his disposal, in comparison with the other teams.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #7681 on: November 04, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
So if we’re too good to be out of the top 6 why do our results put us at risk of being out of the top six?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7682 on: November 04, 2017, 10:14:07 PM »
No, we're in the mix for the playoffs, we're still, despite 5 wins in 7, well short of the promotion places.  If he gets us promoted then you're right it will be an achievement, but we've had, so far, too many poor runs of form to ever seriously look like top 2 candidates.

We're six points off second as it stands and seven off top spot.  Not a massive margin despite us being anywhere near convincing. 

I just want to refer back to this because today has shown why we're a long way from the playoffs.  Since the quoted post we've won one and lost one and we're another point away from the top 2.  Challenging at the very top of this league is unforgiving and runs of results are essential.

A few comments have mentioned that we've lost 2 in 12 which is true, but if you expand our form from those 12 over a full season you get ...

p12 6w 4d 2l - 22 points > p46 23w 15d 8l - 84 points

84 points will get you a play off spot but would miss out on the top 2 almost every season.  So they form that shows he's good enough still isn't good enough to be where we want.

As I've said, good enough to avoid the sack, not good enough to get us where we want to be.  I predicted 5th-8th at the start of the season and I've seen nothing to suggest that won't be the case (although I suspect that group might actually turn out to be 4th to about 10th with only 5-6 points covering the lot by the end), if the defence gets a little less secure now that Terry is out then it'll just cement us into the pack chasing the playoffs.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #7683 on: November 04, 2017, 10:27:03 PM »
So if we’re too good to be out of the top 6 why do our results put us at risk of being out of the top six?

"I honestly think it would be more difficult for us not to make the top 6 with this squad than actually be in it"

That is the quote.

You may want to spin it, but I'd like to think that he believes we have a decent squad.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #7684 on: November 04, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »

"I honestly think it would be more difficult for us not to make the top 6 with this squad than actually be in it"

That is the quote.

You may want to spin it, but I'd like to think that he believes we have a decent squad.

Okay.  No point in labouring it. I guess things can sometimes be more difficult.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7685 on: November 04, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
For those that don't like Bruce i'd say it's that "one of those days" isn't overly rare that's the ongoing cause for concern.
On top of he needs January, He needs the rest of the season, He needs the Summer Transfer Window, we cant expect to beat Wolves, it was a derby you can now add "one of those days".

Priceless.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #7686 on: November 04, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
I don't think i'll ever be changing my vote of out. It still doesn't really work, at least more often than it does. I think we could be far more than what Bruce can achieve here.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #7687 on: November 05, 2017, 12:09:54 AM »

That is the quote.

Okay.  No point in labouring it. I guess things can sometimes be more difficult.

The point is that many of us, and most of the pundits, think that we have a very good squad for this division. Many would argue that we have an abundance of talent and this was reflected in the pre-season betting. When one of our rejects runs the game, just as another little ginger fellow has controlled several games against us for Brentford it raises the legitimate question: "What the fuck?".

As an observer of patterns, it seems to me that after we have played really well in a game we tend to to slump in the following one. There could be a number of reasons for this, but it needs to be addressed PDQ.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7688 on: November 05, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
Heading off topic but in response to a couple of mentions I didn't see Barry Bannan "running the game" or "looking like Andrea Pirlo". I saw a guy demonstrating exactly why he was not good enough for us in the Premier League.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #7689 on: November 05, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »

That is the quote.

The point is that many of us, and most of the pundits, think that we have a very good squad for this division. Many would argue that we have an abundance of talent and this was reflected in the pre-season betting. When one of our rejects runs the game, just as another little ginger fellow has controlled several games against us for Brentford it raises the legitimate question: "What the fuck?".

As an observer of patterns, it seems to me that after we have played really well in a game we tend to to slump in the following one. There could be a number of reasons for this, but it needs to be addressed PDQ.

As an observer of patterns? What a strange hobby you have...

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7690 on: November 05, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
Heading off topic but in response to a couple of mentions I didn't see Barry Bannan "running the game" or "looking like Andrea Pirlo". I saw a guy demonstrating exactly why he was not good enough for us in the Premier League.

I think he did well, he was neat and tidy and rarely gave the ball away although his performance did show why he’s not playing at a higher level. He essentially plays a holding role but he’s not quick or physical enough to do it in the Prem.  A rich mans Ashley Westwood.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7691 on: November 05, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
For those that don't like Bruce i'd say it's that "one of those days" isn't overly rare that's the ongoing cause for concern.
On top of he needs January, He needs the rest of the season, He needs the Summer Transfer Window, we cant expect to beat Wolves, it was a derby you can now add "one of those days".

Priceless.

Anyone would think we were mid-table and not currently in a play off spot.

Priceless.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:38:32 AM by Clampy »

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #7692 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:03 AM »

I think he did well, he was neat and tidy and rarely gave the ball away although his performance did show why he’s not playing at a higher level. He essentially plays a holding role but he’s not quick or physical enough to do it in the Prem.  A rich mans Ashley Westwood.

Westwood was head and shoulders above Bannan in the one season we had both of them. That being said, Bannan probably could fill the role Westwood currently seems to be performing at Burnley, which is to come on once every couple of games at some point in the final half hour when the ship needs steadying.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7693 on: November 05, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
Bruce trotted out his standard clichés yesterday.  Chief amongst them was his old favourite "it's one of those horrible afternoons" as if it's a random occurrence that he played no part in and had no ability to affect.  Even if we do somehow manage to hang on to a play off spot over the rest of the season, I just cannot see Bruce getting this Villa side to win the play offs.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7694 on: November 05, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »

Agree about that.  It's still hard to see exactly where he fits in positionally wise.  The fact that he didn't have one of our players anywhere near him for most of the time yesterday helped him greatly. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal