collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113594 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7620 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »
If Bruce keeps learning the game, one day he'll have as much football knowledge as a poster on H&V
That tickled me 😂
I'm available any time Steve needs my advice.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7621 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53:26 PM »
If Bruce keeps learning the game, one day he'll have as much football knowledge as a poster on H&V

Do you think when he does, he'll stop wasting time and money on the likes of Hogan and Bjarnason?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7622 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »
I too do not like Bruce but we are asserting ourselves regardless.  If we have to carry him kicking and screaming into the Premiership I can live with that.

Oh so now we are winning we are doing it not because of  Bruce but when we don't win it's all Bruce's fault?

Speechless

Yes, the mind boggles.

Not really. Davis wasn't even being considered for the bench until a striker crisis earlier in the season. We were playing like shit and the formations were all over the shop.

Credit where it is due on results but let's not pretend it was something he had planned all along because that is patently bollocks.

If he thought we would get the best out of the midfield playing a target man then he would have purchased one.

That’s football, it happens all the time. Alternatively, Kodja and Grealish might have been fit from the start of the season and we got off to a flying start. Injuries and using the squad are a fact of a managers life so to make an issue of him using a player because of unavailability of others just looks petty.

And exactly how could we purchase one when we under FFP restrictions?

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #7623 on: November 02, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »

Do you think when he does, he'll stop wasting time and money on the likes of Hogan and Bjarnason?

Who was the last manager that made Hutton look like a footballer? I'm still a little nervous about Bruce but to be fair, he has taken on a team where losing was a trend.  And he is slowly turning this, and winning my trust. We were not so different to Slumberland not that long ago.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7624 on: November 03, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
And exactly how could we purchase one when we under FFP restrictions?

Same way we brought in Hogan and about a dozen other players under Bruce?

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #7625 on: November 03, 2017, 04:59:52 AM »
He may, just may becoming to grips with the job he has, he is, as stated by himself in the biggest job he has had to date. Up to now and this could still be the case going forward, he is afraid of losing first regardless of style of play. He has been fortunate with the unveiling of Davis, but Davis is 19 already he has had a few games where he has been out of sorts and will probably have a few more of those before the end of this season.

His master stroke has been the signing of Terry, as I stated in the Terry thread, he brings things this club has been missing for years, that is one in the plus account for Bruce, but at times this season he has played players, certainly the more established ones, i.e. Whelan, Snodgrass when they should have been dropped, but I believe he believes they are strong enough and experienced enough to play there way through those patches, to me they have not up to now and that frustrates when he has the likes of O'hare and others who are looking good with the under 23's and what they have shown with the limited time they have on the pitch for the first team.

Long way to go and I do not for one minute think he is going to change his approach, I think proof of this may come next at Leeds, hope I'm wrong.

Finish this with all the best Steve Bruce because if you do well our beloved Aston Villa do well and hopefully come May we are looking forward to being back where we believe we belong, what happens to you then Mr. Bruce well that's a whole new story line.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #7626 on: November 03, 2017, 05:19:11 AM »

Who was the last manager that made Hutton look like a footballer? I'm still a little nervous about Bruce but to be fair, he has taken on a team where losing was a trend.  And he is slowly turning this, and winning my trust. We were not so different to Slumberland not that long ago.

Hutton did alright when Lambert brought him back in from the cold, so I'm not sure he's the best example to use.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #7627 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »

Hutton did alright when Lambert brought him back in from the cold, so I'm not sure he's the best example to use.

Mmm, i cant remember a big clamour for him at the time...

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7628 on: November 03, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »

I may be cynical, but wasn't he in the last year of his contract then as well?

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7629 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
I too do not like Bruce but we are asserting ourselves regardless.  If we have to carry him kicking and screaming into the Premiership I can live with that.

Oh so now we are winning we are doing it not because of  Bruce but when we don't win it's all Bruce's fault?

Speechless
I'll answer this with what I said above - not attributing blame; just saying it as I see it:
My take on his approach is that he will set the team up to win against opponents who appear to be there for the taking,  as per last night. Where he believes we face decent oppo he seems to assume a very defensive stance.
I disagree with this approach and it gives a clue to his unsuitability for managing in the top tier.
And,  I just don't like him. 

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7630 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
Clampy I learned long ago that you love having a pop at me.  My personal opinion is that Steve Bruce has got lucky.  He is lucky to have young players like Green, RHM, Davis, O'Hare and Grealish to call on.  My opinion is based on having personally seen us win the FA Cup, the 3rd Division Championship, the First Division Championship, the European Cup and the beating of PNE last night.  In person.  In the flesh.  Be as speechless and flabbergasted as you like.  Frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

I can't remember that last time I 'had a pop' at you to be honest so i'm not sure what you're on about. And as for the fact that you've been going longer than I have, I don't think it bears too much relevance. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
bares.
bears.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7631 on: November 03, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
Clampy I learned long ago that you love having a pop at me.  My personal opinion is that Steve Bruce has got lucky.  He is lucky to have young players like Green, RHM, Davis, O'Hare and Grealish to call on.  My opinion is based on having personally seen us win the FA Cup, the 3rd Division Championship, the First Division Championship, the European Cup and the beating of PNE last night.  In person.  In the flesh.  Be as speechless and flabbergasted as you like.  Frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

I can't remember that last time I 'had a pop' at you to be honest so i'm not sure what you're on about. And as for the fact that you've been going longer than I have, I don't think it bears too much relevance. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
bares.
bears.

You Bears.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #7632 on: November 03, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
Who bares wins?

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7633 on: November 03, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
i thought the game against Preston was a very good performance by the whole team, not just keeping it tight then someone doing something special and getting a goal but an overall impressive display by defence, midfield and attack
the best iv'e seen under Bruce so far

hes doing what we know he can do but he's nothing special he's got the best and most expensive squad in the championship up to 5th in the league no more than any half decent manager could do and he's taken a bloody long time to get us there

we have to get out of this league hopefully this season, we have the players,
 i think there is a number of ways to do that and we have chosen the Bruce way so i support the team with him as the manager even though i think the Bruce way is not the only way but that doesn't matter anymore he's here to stay this season so i hope we can carry on playing some decent stuff like on tuesday and keep climbing

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7634 on: November 03, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »

Speechless

Yes, the mind boggles.

Not really. Davis wasn't even being considered for the bench until a striker crisis earlier in the season. We were playing like shit and the formations were all over the shop.

Credit where it is due on results but let's not pretend it was something he had planned all along because that is patently bollocks.

If he thought we would get the best out of the midfield playing a target man then he would have purchased one.

I doubt Davis was even been considered by too many. He's took his chance and he's been great but to say that we're doing well just because he picked a youngster during an injury crisis is not just unfair on Bruce but to the rest of the team.

You see, I don't think it is. We were disfunctional in midfield all of last season and in every game prior to Norwich this season. Bruce couldn't fix it.

Then he has to throw in Davis because of injuries. And he is a different type to all of the other strikers we have tried because he is a proper hold the ball up, target man type.

Hey presto. The ball sticks, the midfield get forwards far more and Hourihane bags the match ball.

It is the type of player Davis is that makes it click. And Bruce didn't buy any others in that mould to say he had spotted it. Davis didn't start at Blues and we were shit. We looked ten times better when he came off the bench.

You put Benteke in that team and we would go up scoring 120 goals. If we must insist on knocking it long then you need someone to bring the midfield into play. Davis does that.

Hogan, Kodjia, Gabby or Fat Ross never will. I wrote a whole piece for the mag this summer about why we need a lump to play off but we didn't sign one (I suggested Murphy who is now at Forest).

I could see it but seemingly Bruce couldn't.

In fairness that's little different to Kane getting a chance at Spurs when they had an injury crisis upfront which changed history. Pochettino has admitted him breaking into the team probably kept him in a job.

Rashford also came through at Man. United when they were short of strikers.

SB did play him in the last game v Brighton so clearly he thought he was one for the future but was probably reluctant to throw him straight him given he was playing non league the previous year.

He's not the first or last manager who would play experience ahead of youth especially as the experienced strikers cost 20m between them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal