collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113331 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7605 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
I too do not like Bruce but we are asserting ourselves regardless.  If we have to carry him kicking and screaming into the Premiership I can live with that.

Oh so now we are winning we are doing it not because of  Bruce but when we don't win it's all Bruce's fault?

Speechless

Yes, the mind boggles.

Not really. Davis wasn't even being considered for the bench until a striker crisis earlier in the season. We were playing like shit and the formations were all over the shop.

Credit where it is due on results but let's not pretend it was something he had planned all along because that is patently bollocks.

If he thought we would get the best out of the midfield playing a target man then he would have purchased one.

I doubt Davis was even been considered by too many. He's took his chance and he's been great but to say that we're doing well just because he picked a youngster during an injury crisis is not just unfair on Bruce but to the rest of the team.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7606 on: November 02, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
Sometimes a manager gets lucky, it's hardly a ridiculous point of view. Does anyone think Davis would have been anywhere near the Norwich squad if Kod, Gabby were available, or would have started if Hogan had been fully fit? He got lucky, we're all benefiting from it. Bruce, the team, KD, and us fans. 

Online Clampy

« Reply #7607 on: November 02, 2017, 07:44:13 PM »
Clampy I learned long ago that you love having a pop at me.  My personal opinion is that Steve Bruce has got lucky.  He is lucky to have young players like Green, RHM, Davis, O'Hare and Grealish to call on.  My opinion is based on having personally seen us win the FA Cup, the 3rd Division Championship, the First Division Championship, the European Cup and the beating of PNE last night.  In person.  In the flesh.  Be as speechless and flabbergasted as you like.  Frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

I can't remember that last time I 'had a pop' at you to be honest so i'm not sure what you're on about. And as for the fact that you've been going longer than I have, I don't think it bears too much relevance. My opinion is just as valid as yours.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #7608 on: November 02, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Clampy I learned long ago that you love having a pop at me.  My personal opinion is that Steve Bruce has got lucky.  He is lucky to have young players like Green, RHM, Davis, O'Hare and Grealish to call on.  My opinion is based on having personally seen us win the FA Cup, the 3rd Division Championship, the First Division Championship, the European Cup and the beating of PNE last night.  In person.  In the flesh.  Be as speechless and flabbergasted as you like.  Frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

I can't remember that last time I 'had a pop' at you to be honest so i'm not sure what you're on about. And as for the fact that you've been going longer than I have, I don't think it bears too much relevance. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
bares.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #7609 on: November 02, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »
How many of those players listed have contributed to our run of form?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7610 on: November 02, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
How many of those players listed have contributed to our run of form?

Is also a fair point.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7611 on: November 02, 2017, 07:58:07 PM »
I like mostly like Bruce, but I'm not overly convinced by him long term, and was particularly frustrated by the performance at Wolves.  But results over the last couple of months (Wolves aside) have been great and he has to be given credit for that.  Saying we're wining now 'despite' of Bruce, but when in a bad run it's been down to his tactics etc is bollox. 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7612 on: November 02, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
I do like a lucky manager.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7613 on: November 02, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
I too do not like Bruce but we are asserting ourselves regardless.  If we have to carry him kicking and screaming into the Premiership I can live with that.

Oh so now we are winning we are doing it not because of  Bruce but when we don't win it's all Bruce's fault?

Speechless

Yes, the mind boggles.

Not really. Davis wasn't even being considered for the bench until a striker crisis earlier in the season. We were playing like shit and the formations were all over the shop.

Credit where it is due on results but let's not pretend it was something he had planned all along because that is patently bollocks.

If he thought we would get the best out of the midfield playing a target man then he would have purchased one.

I doubt Davis was even been considered by too many. He's took his chance and he's been great but to say that we're doing well just because he picked a youngster during an injury crisis is not just unfair on Bruce but to the rest of the team.

You see, I don't think it is. We were disfunctional in midfield all of last season and in every game prior to Norwich this season. Bruce couldn't fix it.

Then he has to throw in Davis because of injuries. And he is a different type to all of the other strikers we have tried because he is a proper hold the ball up, target man type.

Hey presto. The ball sticks, the midfield get forwards far more and Hourihane bags the match ball.

It is the type of player Davis is that makes it click. And Bruce didn't buy any others in that mould to say he had spotted it. Davis didn't start at Blues and we were shit. We looked ten times better when he came off the bench.

You put Benteke in that team and we would go up scoring 120 goals. If we must insist on knocking it long then you need someone to bring the midfield into play. Davis does that.

Hogan, Kodjia, Gabby or Fat Ross never will. I wrote a whole piece for the mag this summer about why we need a lump to play off but we didn't sign one (I suggested Murphy who is now at Forest).

I could see it but seemingly Bruce couldn't.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7614 on: November 02, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
I like mostly like Bruce, but I'm not overly convinced by him long term, and was particularly frustrated by the performance at Wolves.  But results over the last couple of months (Wolves aside) have been great and he has to be given credit for that.  Saying we're wining now 'despite' of Bruce, but when in a bad run it's been down to his tactics etc is bollox. 

Our poorest performances have been when we set up not to lose rather than get on the front foot. If he can stay away from his natural inclination of safety first we have a shot at going up. That is why some people are frustrated with him.

We don't have the players to bore our way our of the league. We need to score our way out.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7615 on: November 02, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »

Valid , having a sound basis in logic or fact, erm.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7616 on: November 02, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »

Our poorest performances have been when we set up not to lose rather than get on the front foot.

I'm not sure about that. I think the games we've lost, we've deserved to and been beaten by the better sides, not because we've tried not to lose.

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #7617 on: November 02, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »

Our poorest performances have been when we set up not to lose rather than get on the front foot. If he can stay away from his natural inclination of safety first we have a shot at going up. That is why some people are frustrated with him.

We don't have the players to bore our way our of the league. We need to score our way out.

I don't see him ever changing his approach.  I don't like it all of the time and sometimes it's frustrating, but it's been effective for him over the years and is clearly becoming effective for us (thank fuck!). 

I think his approach is to have a solid defensive base, a combative midfield and some quality up front to make the difference.  The reason why I think he's struggled in the premier league is that he's been at clubs where he hasn't been able to attract the attacking quality you need with this 'pragmatic' approach. 

In this league it's easier to have the quality up front you need to outscore teams and keep it tight at the back.  There is no excuses for him here, given the money spent.  I just think the recent results deserve some applause and respect.

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #7618 on: November 02, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
I'd also say that based on last night we absolutely have the right balance to bore our way out of this division.  But lose Terry to injury and that might unravel somewhat.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7619 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Credit where it’s due. I wanted him gone and he’s turning it around. Fair play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal