collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113408 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7575 on: November 02, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
Changed it to no. Credit where it is due he has started to turn things around.

I wan't him gone in the summer though, he isn't what we need if we go up, and if we don't go up he should go anyway.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7576 on: November 02, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »

I wan't him gone in the summer though, he isn't what we need if we go up, and if we don't go up he should go anyway.

no way in a billion zillion years will we sack a manager who just got us promotion

Offline manic-road

« Reply #7577 on: November 02, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
At the start of the season a lot were blaming the small run of poor form on Colin Calderwood, maybe he is doing some decent work at BH after all.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7578 on: November 02, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »

no way in a billion zillion years will we sack a manager who just got us promotion

I get the feeling you'd be pleasantly surprised John.

Can see Xia being a ruthless owner and not letting premier league seasons drift like Lerner did. Getting back to the premier league would mean he could start promoting the club more abroad and do some of the off the field developments he promised when he took charge.

As much as SB is getting things right now in this division now you only have to look at how we approached Wolves away and realise he'd continue to do that playing the Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc and that won't get us anywhere.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7579 on: November 02, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
At the start of the season a lot were blaming the small run of poor form on Colin Calderwood, maybe he is doing some decent work at BH after all.

As I was one of the biggest critics of Calderwood I sincerely hope you're right.  I will always put up my hand when I'm wrong but there's a long way to go yet.  Not that I'm willing Calderwood to fail as that would be completely counterproductive, a level of consistency is all I am looking for and it is beginning to look as though we are achieving some, so kudos to him for his part in that.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #7580 on: November 02, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
I doubt our training sessions have differ that much from a year ago.

I just think it's a case of all our experience players have settled down now after tough starts. Terry-Chester combo was awful at the start of the season, it's been rock solid for ages and that spreads confidence throughout the team. Whelan has done well lately aswell.

We simply have a very good squad for this level and should be up there. Wolves would happily have Terry and Kodjia in their starting 11 for example.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7581 on: November 02, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
I've changed my position to giving him the season, but feel that he should be replaced at the end of the season come what may. I'd have no faith in him being able to compete in the top tier and I'd hope we'd look for a more modern coach at that stage.

I think given his record in the PL it’s almost guaranteed he won’t last a full season at that level. We should be looking to do what Southampton did when they (surprisingly at the time) fired Adkins and got in Pochettino. Turned out to be a brilliant move and pushed them on to become a very solid PL side.

His job is to get us up and that's it.  It will suit both parties that he goes in the summer whatever the outcome. 

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #7582 on: November 02, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »
Nigel Adkins lasted until January of the year they went up.

Better example would be Watford. Slavisa Jokanovic got them up, couldn't agree a new deal and left and Quique Sanchez Flores came in and got them comfortably into mid table.

There will be ways to approach our prem return. 30% possession and drawing our way to 40 points isn't how I envisage Dr Tony wanting it to be.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7583 on: November 02, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
If he gets us up -and its still 50/50, at best, for me - Xia will keep him on and give him a big contract.

Then he'll be gone by December, as we languish at the bottom end of the table.

I really can't see anything else happening.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #7584 on: November 02, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
If he gets us up -and its still 50/50, at best, for me - Xia will keep him on and give him a big contract.

Then he'll be gone by December, as we languish at the bottom end of the table.

I really can't see anything else happening.

Xia, Round and Wyness should have the foresight to see better than that. Certainly the latter two who have about 40 years worth of experience in football.

Shake SB's hand and thank him for doing what he was brought into do. I imagine his contract has a promotion bonus in it. I'm sure his mates in the press would be upset but he's a big boy and wouldn't be out of work for long so it would suit all parties imo.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7585 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »
I think the board will stick with him if he gets us up. In the meantime, I'm pleased with the job he's doing and also that we seem to have the ability to bounce back after a defeat which is important. Another test will be if we get injuries in certain area's but so far i'm content with where we are.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7586 on: November 02, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
He has to get us up first and we have a long way to go.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7587 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »
My take on his approach is that he will set the team up to win against opponents who appear to be there for the taking,  as per last night. Where he believes we face decent oppo he seems to assume a very defensive stance.
I disagree with this approach and it gives a clue to his unsuitability for managing in the top tier.
And,  I just don't like him. 

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7588 on: November 02, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »
Play like they did last night and nobody will want him gone. It would be enough to keep you up in the "big league" as well. That is what I find so frustrating with him. We look ten times better playing off a target man, pressing the ball (nobody beats the press in this league) and letting the midfield play ten yards further up the pitch. It is why his default factory setting of playing for a draw as we did at Wolves and Blues leaves me tearing my hair out.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7589 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »
You have no divine right to anything. It was a derby and traditional we're poor here regardless of the result.

A point at the Sty isn't a bad result. We're in the top 6 and have some key games coming up.

Agree and on the face of it, a point is a decent result.  What concerns me a big though is that he doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.  Kodjia got bullied there last year and clearly didn't really fancy the physical challenge, so Bruce plays him up front on his own again this year.  We have been taken apart playing a two man midfield featuring Whelan in the tougher games this season and it looked like it was going to happen again until Jedinak came on and we went to a three in there. 

As someone I was standing next to in the pub commented, he still hasn't really found a really settled side or way of playing yet.
or the ability to change it when it’s not working.

Wasn't working vs blues he changed it and ii worked
65 minutes

Correct me if I'm wrong but it still worked didn't it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal