collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113026 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7485 on: October 30, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
So 1 month in 3 is automatic promotion form.
Sad that the bar seems to be levelled to a play off spot, which should be seen as failure.
Yeah, if you want to look at it like that.  An alternative view would be we started really badly, have drastically improved as the team began to gel but struggled with a couple of recent away derby games.  People see what they want to see.  The reality is you are just trying to find another way to knock when we are pretty much top of the 'form' table.  I think more sensible conclusions can be drawn after the next run of games through to December.

your right we do see what we want to see

and while i can see the point with people thinking he’s the best man for the job and although I don’t agree I can also see why people trot out the old nugget about it ‘not being pretty but he will get us up’ because he has a record of doing just that, so I get that and can understand the logic in that view

what i can’t see is anyone who has watched us over the last 12 months and think the Football has been anything but mostly absolute shite,
that on Sunday and loads of other games under Bruce and other managers was an abomination to the game of Football and the name of Aston Villa

some arnt bothered about that and just see another point towards promotion, and I can see that but let’s not pretend it’s any other than utter crap to watch

I don't necessarily disagree with you about performances John, although am in the camp that if we go up the ends justify the means.  But I was responding to a particular point about our results and where they suggest we are right now in trems of form.  I think Chicago's negative spin was something Alastair Campbell would have been proud of.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #7486 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »
We need to improve, quite significantly, if we're to even get up via the play-offs. I worry we won't.

Offline ez

« Reply #7487 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
I can't help thinking about his comment about it 'only being the first 3 games' when we got off to a bad start as if they're not important in the long run. I do hope they don't cost us a promotion place.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7488 on: October 30, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
Sad that the bar seems to be levelled to a play off spot, which should be seen as failure.
Yeah, if you want to look at it like that.  An alternative view would be we started really badly, have drastically improved as the team began to gel but struggled with a couple of recent away derby games.
Yes we did and beat 4 out of the bottom 7.
Whatever way we try and SPIN it, his teams form does not indicate automatic promotion, it never has.
I am negative because I believe that His playing style and ttactical limitations mean we are underperforming.
I have made a decision to stop criticising Bruce whilst we occupy the top 2 positions in the league.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7489 on: October 30, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
Yeah, if you want to look at it like that.  An alternative view would be we started really badly, have drastically improved as the team began to gel but struggled with a couple of recent away derby games.
Whatever way we try and SPIN it, his teams form does not indicate automatic promotion, it never has.
I am negative because I believe that His playing style and ttactical limitations mean we are underperforming.
I have made a decision to stop criticising Bruce whilst we occupy the top 2 positions in the league.

You also made it fairly clear why you don't like Bruce in the pre-match thread though with the bizarre comment about us taking another ex-blues manager back to St Andrews so let's face it, for you it's not just his style of play.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7490 on: October 30, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9

You also made it fairly clear why you don't like Bruce in the pre-match thread though with the bizarre comment about us taking another ex-blues manager back to St Andrews so let's face it, for you it's not just his style of play.
I genuinely do not dislike him personally, I also had no problem with SM1 personally.
I do bhowever think that we should allways be above them in every way and hiring thier ex managers who in my view were well suited to the style they are known for should not be good enough for us.
So not an ex blose thing for me, I hate Villa playing shit football with a tactically very limited manager.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7491 on: October 30, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Yes, arguably tactically limited but proven at this level.  And the first manager in 6 years to arrest our alarming slide and string a few wins together home and away.

I still think we're a pretty average side and agree with the players we have should probably be doing better.  But people seem to forget just where we have come from and our recent results absolutely do suggest that we should be capable of top two or pretty close to it.  As I said, we'll have a better idea where we stand come December.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7492 on: October 30, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »
To be fair, how many of our recent managers have been given over a year, in the 2nd division, to "arrest our alarming slide"?

You're comparing apples and lumps of coal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:14:17 PM by Villa75 »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7493 on: October 30, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »
Yes, arguably tactically limited but proven at this level.  And the first manager in 6 years to arrest our alarming slide and string a few wins together home and away.

I still think we're a pretty average side and agree with the players we have should probably be doing better.  But people seem to forget just where we have come from and our recent results absolutely do suggest that we should be capable of top two or pretty close to it.  As I said, we'll have a better idea where we stand come December.
Agree By December we should know where we are, fingers X

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #7494 on: October 30, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »
How many Villa managers have also been given the money he has ? Either he or Steve Round managed to piss up the wall a considerable sum of money to get us to stability in division 2.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7495 on: October 30, 2017, 10:17:09 PM »
How many Villa managers have also been given the money he has ? Either he or Steve Round managed to piss up the wall a considerable sum of money to get us to stability in division 2.

He hasn't spent that much really, well not in the transfer window just gone anyway.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7496 on: October 30, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
Not that much? Really?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7497 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »
The most expensive squad ever assembled in division 2.
Our wage bill compared to every one else in the division.
Look at the depth of resources compared to the competition.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7498 on: October 30, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »
To refer back to a couple of posts, Dave W

I think he's doing adequate. Nowhere near as well as he should be, but just about acceptable.

and

Bruce isn't doing amazingly well, but he is certainly not doing badly enough to get sacked. That would be nuts.

These 2 sum it up for me, not bad enough to be sacked but not good enough to achieve anything.
Well I think promotion would be something.  And we are certainly in the mix for that.

No, we're in the mix for the playoffs, we're still, despite 5 wins in 7, well short of the promotion places.  If he gets us promoted then you're right it will be an achievement, but we've had, so far, too many poor runs of form to ever seriously look like top 2 candidates.

We're six points off second as it stands and seven off top spot.  Not a massive margin despite us being anywhere near convincing. 

I stand by it.  The teams in the top 2 are averaging over points a game and history suggests that's about the target to get promotion, that means it's not just 6 points it's 6 consecutive wins and it's taken us 14 so far to get that many.  I'm not saying it's impossible but we're genuinely not 'in the mix' for it right now.  On away form we're midtable and I just can't see that changing because Bruce approaches away games playing for the draw and has ever since he arrived.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7499 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
Not that much? Really?

Yes. Hogan apart, he hasn't spent fortunes on the players he's brought in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal