collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113706 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7470 on: October 30, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
To refer back to a couple of posts, Dave W

I think he's doing adequate. Nowhere near as well as he should be, but just about acceptable.

and

Bruce isn't doing amazingly well, but he is certainly not doing badly enough to get sacked. That would be nuts.

These 2 sum it up for me, not bad enough to be sacked but not good enough to achieve anything.
Well I think promotion would be something.  And we are certainly in the mix for that.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #7471 on: October 30, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »

I think he's doing adequate. Nowhere near as well as he should be, but just about acceptable.

and

Bruce isn't doing amazingly well, but he is certainly not doing badly enough to get sacked. That would be nuts.

These 2 sum it up for me, not bad enough to be sacked but not good enough to achieve anything.
Well I think promotion would be something.  And we are certainly in the mix for that.

I think what both are saying in their own way is that it could go either way.

I am of the same opinion but we shouldn't be in this situation with the players we have and the time Bruce has had at the club and with most of the players.

You would only replace the manager if you thought Bruce will not get us promoted or a new manager would give us a better chance. Where we are at the moment, neither of those are options you could really call.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7472 on: October 30, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »

and

No, we're in the mix for the playoffs, we're still, despite 5 wins in 7, well short of the promotion places.  If he gets us promoted then you're right it will be an achievement, but we've had, so far, too many poor runs of form to ever seriously look like top 2 candidates.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7473 on: October 30, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »

and

No, we're in the mix for the playoffs, we're still, despite 5 wins in 7, well short of the promotion places.  If he gets us promoted then you're right it will be an achievement, but we've had, so far, too many poor runs of form to ever seriously look like top 2 candidates.

We're six points off second as it stands and seven off top spot.  Not a massive margin despite us being anywhere near convincing. 

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7474 on: October 30, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »

and

We're six points off second as it stands and seven off top spot.  Not a massive margin despite us being anywhere near convincing. 

it’s sounds good, but it’s all very tight at the moment
you could also say we are 2/3 points of being in the bottom half

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #7475 on: October 30, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

and

I disagree.  At 6 points off we are in the mix for the top two.

I'm not saying performances are fantastic or that I necessarily think Bruce is the long term answer, just simply responding to your comment that he is not good enough to achieve anything when clearly there is a reasonable possibility that he will.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7476 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
So 1 month in 3 is automatic promotion form.
Sad that the bar seems to be levelled to a play off spot, which should be seen as failure.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:31:37 PM by ChicagoLion »

Online john e

« Reply #7477 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
Sad that the bar seems to be levelled to a play off spot, which should be seen as failure.

it won’t be failure if we go up through the play offs though

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #7478 on: October 30, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
Yeah, if you want to look at it like that.  An alternative view would be we started really badly, have drastically improved as the team began to gel but struggled with a couple of recent away derby games.  People see what they want to see.  The reality is you are just trying to find another way to knock when we are pretty much top of the 'form' table.  I think more sensible conclusions can be drawn after the next run of games through to December.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7479 on: October 30, 2017, 04:14:57 PM »

and

I’d differ slightly from that, not bad enough to sack but not good enough to fully trust that he can & will deliver what we need. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7480 on: October 30, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Missed a point above , those saying that we sit back at times home and nearly always away are quite correct, the problem we have, we do not have the pace in the team to hit teams on the break as quickly as teams who do this and are successful, our build up play is a prossies nightmare, all foreplay and no bang.
I keep reading this. Snodgrass, Adomah, Hogan and Elmo are all supposed to be quick. I think we have pace in the side: the challenge is (i) not leaving one or two players upfront when we're defending and (ii) poor player speed-of-thought and accuracy in passing.

Online john e

« Reply #7481 on: October 30, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9
Yeah, if you want to look at it like that.  An alternative view would be we started really badly, have drastically improved as the team began to gel but struggled with a couple of recent away derby games.  People see what they want to see.  The reality is you are just trying to find another way to knock when we are pretty much top of the 'form' table.  I think more sensible conclusions can be drawn after the next run of games through to December.

your right we do see what we want to see

and while i can see the point with people thinking he’s the best man for the job and although I don’t agree I can also see why people trot out the old nugget about it ‘not being pretty but he will get us up’ because he has a record of doing just that, so I get that and can understand the logic in that view

what i can’t see is anyone who has watched us over the last 12 months and think the Football has been anything but mostly absolute shite,
that on Sunday and loads of other games under Bruce and other managers was an abomination to the game of Football and the name of Aston Villa

some arnt bothered about that and just see another point towards promotion, and I can see that but let’s not pretend it’s any other than utter crap to watch

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7482 on: October 30, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »
I wouldn't say we're a fantastic team to watch but I don't think we're as bad as some people make out. I wasnt overly impressed with us yesterday but i'm fairly satisfied with how it's going although we should be a few more points better off.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7483 on: October 30, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9

I'm not advocating sacking him as there's no one obvious out there to replace him but we keep saying this don't we.  He's been here over a year now and whilst he may not have spent most of the money, the cost of this squad dwarfs that of every other team in the league.

With that, and 12 months working with them, a decent manager should have a better record than he's got over the 12 months in total.  And a really good manager should have us top, not seven points behind Sheffield United FFS!

I keep reading all the comments about how close to the top we are but having watched us throughout his time and seeing very little in the way of improvement, does anyone genuinely believe a Villa team with Steve Bruce in charge will actually trouble the top two.  Our away record and our record against any of the better teams in this division does not support that view.

So, I'm resigned to us hopefully making the playoffs and winning them.  And then, as some others have suggested I think he gets the boot for someone more progressive.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #7484 on: October 30, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
August 5 from 15
September 14 from 18
October 4 from 9

I'm not advocating sacking him as there's no one obvious out there to replace him but we keep saying this don't we.  He's been here over a year now and whilst he may not have spent most of the money, the cost of this squad dwarfs that of every other team in the league.

With that, and 12 months working with them, a decent manager should have a better record than he's got over the 12 months in total.  And a really good manager should have us top, not seven points behind Sheffield United FFS!

I keep reading all the comments about how close to the top we are but having watched us throughout his time and seeing very little in the way of improvement, does anyone genuinely believe a Villa team with Steve Bruce in charge will actually trouble the top two.  Our away record and our record against any of the better teams in this division does not support that view.

So, I'm resigned to us hopefully making the playoffs and winning them.  And then, as some others have suggested I think he gets the boot for someone more progressive.
Find it hard to disagree with anything you say there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal