collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113950 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7455 on: October 29, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
Bruce isn't doing amazingly well, but he is certainly not doing badly enough to get sacked. That would be nuts.

no point in sacking him now, but in the summer it would be nuts not to.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7456 on: October 29, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
Let's look at his record in any big away game or against decent opposition:
Small Heath drew two
Wolves lost two
Cardiff lost two
Leeds lost
Fulham lost
Huddersfield lost
Newcastle lost
Brighton drew
Bristol City drew
Norwich lost

The only teams we've beat away from home under him are Reading, QPR, Rotherham, Wigan, Barnsley and Burton. Reading were decent last season but the rest are/were shite. Not a single result in there that would make anyone take notice and make a statement.

A pretty damming record. Play offs at best
You would think that he might learn from this, but fat chance he will keep doing his negative thing and we will not get automatic promotion.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7457 on: October 29, 2017, 08:40:15 PM »
Bruce isn't doing amazingly well, but he is certainly not doing badly enough to get sacked. That would be nuts.

It might be worth seeing where we finish this season before predetermining his sacking now.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #7458 on: October 29, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »
I just wish he'd go into a big away game and throw the shackles off and let them worry about us. We worry too much about the opposition when in reality this league is shit. After the first 15 minutes today we retreated and let Small Heath dictate the play and the tempo. With the players we've got we should be controlling matches and teams should be terrified of playing us and the threat we pose.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7459 on: October 29, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »

It might be worth seeing where we finish this season before predetermining his sacking now.

not really. His shite cowardly football would only get us relegated straight back to the championship if we went up.  Perfect time to make a break, thank him for his help and move on

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #7460 on: October 29, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
I just wish he'd go into a big away game and throw the shackles off and let them worry about us. We worry too much about the opposition when in reality this league is shit. After the first 15 minutes today we retreated and let Small Heath dictate the play and the tempo. With the players we've got we should be controlling matches and teams should be terrified of playing us and the threat we pose.

this this and more this

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #7461 on: October 29, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »

this this and more this

And that's fair enough but I'm not sure a Derby match is really the time or the place. If it backfires suddenly his job may be in jeopardy.

I don't like it either but it's understandable against this horrible lot.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #7462 on: October 29, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »

this this and more this

And that's fair enough but I'm not sure a Derby match is really the time or the place. If it backfires suddenly his job may be in jeopardy.

What about at Wolves which isn't our big derby? Cardiff? Reading? All the decent teams we didn't beat away last season? He's shit scared of losing away from home and it shows and rubs off on the players. The opposition get a lift after about 10 minutes because we're nowhere near as good or threatening as they expected us to be.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7463 on: October 29, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »
If only there was a means of measuring who was the best. Say a league table of sorts?

Which indicates we're still a way off top 2 despite for us a very good run of form (5 wins in 7).

I fear top 2 will be as elusive as top 6 was last year, we go on decent unbeaten runs but the gap remains the same and we can't capitalise when others above drop points.

You said somewhere that 4 points from two aways would have us heading for Top 2. We've got 1 so far against our local rivals in a derby where form goes out of the window.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7464 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
I don't think his tactics are comparable to Mourinho. His strategy/intentions, maybe, but the actual details of tactics? That's like saying Klopp is similar to Kevin Keegan because they're both attacking.

Kevin Keegan? Try Kevin Turvey.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #7465 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »

this this and more this

What about at Wolves which isn't our big derby? Cardiff? Reading? All the decent teams we didn't beat away last season? He's shit scared of losing away from home and it shows and rubs off on the players. The opposition get a lift after about 10 minutes because we're nowhere near as good or threatening as they expected us to be.

I've no disagreement in those other games, I agree that we re way too cautious, but i'm not sure being more adventurous in what we know will be against a side that raises their game and works their socks off is the best idea.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:11:57 AM by OzVilla »

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #7466 on: October 30, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »
We would look stupid if we sacked him now and my worry is we would look even stupider if we sacked him after getting promoted, but by god if we want to stay in the prem if we get there, he has to go, we stunk it out for how many years, they would be giving gas masks away with Brucey Keegan in charge.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #7467 on: October 30, 2017, 07:59:38 AM »
Missed a point above , those saying that we sit back at times home and nearly always away are quite correct, the problem we have, we do not have the pace in the team to hit teams on the break as quickly as teams who do this and are successful, our build up play is a prossies nightmare, all foreplay and no bang.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7468 on: October 30, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
To refer back to a couple of posts, Dave W

I think he's doing adequate. Nowhere near as well as he should be, but just about acceptable.

and

These 2 sum it up for me, not bad enough to be sacked but not good enough to achieve anything.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7469 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »

Why
he's with us because of his record of getting Blues and Hull up playing exactly this way
i know its shit and i personally hate it, but that's the way he's done it in the past so why change it when its been successful for him

we all knew what we were getting with Bruce, i never wanted him and still don't but there is no point in asking him to change his football style its whats got us in the play offs and he's achieved promotion on two occasions from the play offs

its his tried and tested formula, so i think we will just have to grin and bear it and hope it gets us up
if the board wanted someone to play a different way more attacking, more entertaining then they should have gone for a different manager, they cant really say come to Villa but can you be a bit different from whats worked for you in the past

when we appointed Bruce there were loads of posts saying 'we know it wont be pretty but it will get us up'  that's what he's doing in my view, its not pretty but we are up there, its no point moaning when he's doing exactly what he was brought in to do

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal