collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113621 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7305 on: October 18, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
If Gabby Agbonlahor is the answer.... then what exactly is the question?

"As Hogan is so ineffectual off the bench, and Davis is not up to playing 90 minutes, do we have anyone who could come off the bench and offer something more?"
Very unfair on Hogan. The poor chap has not had a consistent run in the team with the team playing to his strengths so far. I would say he has been wasted since we signed him.

Unfair to say that Hogan has been ineffectual off the bench?  I would say it is absolutely spot on.
Hogan has been ineffectual since he came here. We don't play a style that suits his game. Bruce is obviously unwilling to change things to suit him so the question has to be asked. Why did we shell out 12 million quid on him?

Particularly as he claimed to have been tracking him for years when he signed him.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7306 on: October 18, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
As I've said before, I think we'll see far more of Hogan when Grealish is back in the frame.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7307 on: October 18, 2017, 06:41:37 PM »
I think the loss in isolation isn't a problem, but the nature of the loss is. It illustrated everything that Bruce struggles with. He set up the team wrong, he did nothing to change the very obvious flow of the game, and then the first change he made was a standard striker on and striker off. He doesn't appear to be able to tactically adjust when things aren't going his way. Plus having Hourihane sit deep and Whelan going box to box (extremely ineffectively) was mad.

He set the team up on Saturday because against Cardiff he went more attacking and because all out players are old and slow we were cut open for fun. So he went the other way vs Wolves but for the same reason as against Cardiff we were cut open for fun the only difference was we lasted longer against wolves.

We just have to face facts because Bruce has now filled the squad with plays at the wrong end of their career when we come up against teams that have pace we have no defence against them.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7308 on: October 18, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I think the loss in isolation isn't a problem, but the nature of the loss is. It illustrated everything that Bruce struggles with. He set up the team wrong, he did nothing to change the very obvious flow of the game, and then the first change he made was a standard striker on and striker off. He doesn't appear to be able to tactically adjust when things aren't going his way. Plus having Hourihane sit deep and Whelan going box to box (extremely ineffectively) was mad.

He set the team up on Saturday because against Cardiff he went more attacking and because all out players are old and slow we were cut open for fun. So he went the other way vs Wolves but for the same reason as against Cardiff we were cut open for fun the only difference was we lasted longer against wolves.

We just have to face facts because Bruce has now filled the squad with plays at the wrong end of their career when we come up against teams that have pace we have no defence against them.

All our players are old and slow and he's filled the squad with  players at the wrong end of their careers?  With respect, what over the top drivel.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #7309 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
I think the loss in isolation isn't a problem, but the nature of the loss is. It illustrated everything that Bruce struggles with. He set up the team wrong, he did nothing to change the very obvious flow of the game, and then the first change he made was a standard striker on and striker off. He doesn't appear to be able to tactically adjust when things aren't going his way. Plus having Hourihane sit deep and Whelan going box to box (extremely ineffectively) was mad

I would say the only players at the wrong end of their career are Terry, Jedinak and Whelan. I don't think many of us doubt JT's inclusion in the squad, and Whelan and Jedi play in the same position. Hardly filling the team.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:35:02 PM by Taylor »

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7310 on: October 19, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »

All our players are old and slow and he's filled the squad with  players at the wrong end of their careers?  With respect, what over the top drivel.

Terry, Whelan, Jedinak are they all young players? 2 are 33 and the other is closer to 40 than he is 30. Elmohamady is 30, the youngest in our back four is 28.

We are slow Wolves broke from one of our corners and were in our box and Terry had only just got back into our half of the pitch for crying out loud.

All Cardiff did was wait until we tried to attack got the ball off us are ran at us and we couldn't stop them and we're lucky to only lose 3:0 it could have a lot lot more. For that reason Bruce had to set up the way he did against Wolves but all it did was delay the inevitable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:34:12 PM by stuart445 »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7311 on: October 19, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

Terry, Whelan, Jedinak are they all young players? 2 are 33 and the other is closer to 40 than he is 30. Elmohamady is 30, the youngest in our back four is 28.

You've mentioned 4 players there. That's hardly filling the squad with old players and he didnt sign Jedinak anyway.

Agree about the Cardiff game though. It should have been more than three.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:37:15 PM by Clampy »

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7312 on: October 19, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
If anyone thinks much has changed under Bruce then the gabby or hogan sub. argument on here for the last few pages should put you right. Neither should be anywhere near villa park unless they were driving through Aston on the way to bescot for training.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #7313 on: October 21, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
I like this from Bruce to be fair.

The manager isn’t fazed by the defeat, though, and plans to continue tracking the table-toppers who are only seven points above his seventh-placed side.

“All the faff and all the rest of it, you would think they had won the Premier League after beating us,” Bruce said.

“We will remember that, while accepting on the day they were better.

“There is a long way to go yet.”

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7314 on: October 21, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
Fair play.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7315 on: October 21, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
Actions speak louder than words, Mr Bruce.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7316 on: October 21, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
As I've said before, I think we'll see far more of Hogan when Grealish is back in the frame.

Which two players will be dropped?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7317 on: October 21, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
Onomah is such a tidy player on the ball and he's got the magic P word, pace, to drive a game on. I would like to see him and Hourihane as our midfield two and then there is flexibility to do play 442, 4231, 433, but they are are best and most balanced central players.

Agree completely. Get Onomah in the same position he plays for England and he will control the game. Hourihane is more a threat in a more advanced role but combined we'll be a hell of a lot more ambitious. We can go to a three in central midfield with Whelan or Jedi coming in for the tougher games but the team will look more fluid with Onomah and Hourihane in the middle.
Also agree.
Agree completely.

And me

Also agree.  If we are going to play two in central midfield then I'm not sure we can accommodate either Whelan or Jedinak in there against the better sides. 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7318 on: October 21, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »

That’s such a cliche, the phrase must crop a hundred times on every manager thread we have ever had.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7319 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »

That’s such a cliche, the phrase must crop a hundred times on every manager thread we have ever had.

What about Big Ron's "don't tell me pal, show me" line instead?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal