collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115145 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7290 on: October 17, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
Can anyone please give any stand out examples of when Bruce has made a tactical change that has made an impact on the match in a positive manner. I faintly remember a substitution (sorry formation change) against Bristol City where we got a draw. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:15:34 PM by Diablo »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7291 on: October 17, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »
For all the money we have spent, all the players we have signed, we are miles away from playing the type of football that will get us out of this division.     

And what would this mythical 'type of football' be exactly ?

its mythical to us over the last 5-7 years because we have been fed utter shit and started to accept that's the best we can do

but before that watching Villa sides was mostly worth it, not every game obviously but most of my life turning up at Villa park has in general been worth going, we have gone years without winning stuff but it was still entertaining, some great players down the decades

Wolves fans probably said the same over the last few years, but hey they sacked their shity old fashioned one dimensional negative manager, bought a better one in who knew how to put a decent team together and in 5 minutes had a team playing that mythical football you were talking about

we should do the same

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #7292 on: October 17, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
For all the money we have spent, all the players we have signed, we are miles away from playing the type of football that will get us out of this division.     

And what would this mythical 'type of football' be exactly ?

its mythical to us over the last 5-7 years because we have been fed utter shit and started to accept that's the best we can do

but before that watching Villa sides was mostly worth it, not every game obviously but most of my life turning up at Villa park has in general been worth going, we have gone years without winning stuff but it was still entertaining, some great players down the decades

Wolves fans probably said the same over the last few years, but hey they sacked their shity old fashioned one dimensional negative manager, bought a better one in who knew how to put a decent team together and in 5 minutes had a team playing that mythical football you were talking about

we should do the same

Remi Garde for me!

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7293 on: October 17, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
I'm still waiting for that result that lays down a marker and makes everyone sit up and take notice. Beating Burton and Bolton isn't going to do that as most teams beat them. Small Heath are shit but if we went there and won 3 or 4 nil in our Derby game it would be a big statement. We've got the players to do it but I won't hold my breath. 0-0 or 1-0 to them all over it imo.
I think we just had the marker, we came up against a top team in the division and were out fought, out played and out manouvered.
That's a depressing thought after 58 games in the Championship but it's the reality of where we are. We sit behind the might of such teams as Bristol City, Sheffield United and Preston! Get it fucking sorted Villa.

The reality is that what happened 46 games ago is irrelevant. We're 12 games in, 7th in the league, 6th highest scorers, 6th best defence, 1 point behind Leeds and a handful further from second, with 34 games to go.

There is room for improvement. Yes we were poor on the weekend, but crikey what a house of cards mentality some people have.

There's been so much twisting of reality. People saying we rely on Kodjia for goals, when this season he's scored the same as Gabby and we've scored more than 3/4 of the league. Certainly last season is a problem, but last season Reading were good and the Wolves were shit. Things change.

People have been saying we throw leads away, when we have surrendered two points from a winning position once in 12.

I hope we go on another run of not losing in 2 months, as I cannot be dealing with the crash that follows one set back.
All I'm saying is that we've had 58 games in this league and we're still yet to break into the promotion places. That is the reality of where we are. Hopefully a victory on Saturday will put that right and we go on to win promotion.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7294 on: October 17, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
Onomah is such a tidy player on the ball and he's got the magic P word, pace, to drive a game on. I would like to see him and Hourihane as our midfield two and then there is flexibility to do play 442, 4231, 433, but they are are best and most balanced central players.

Agree completely. Get Onomah in the same position he plays for England and he will control the game. Hourihane is more a threat in a more advanced role but combined we'll be a hell of a lot more ambitious. We can go to a three in central midfield with Whelan or Jedi coming in for the tougher games but the team will look more fluid with Onomah and Hourihane in the middle.
Also agree.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7295 on: October 17, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »
Onomah is such a tidy player on the ball and he's got the magic P word, pace, to drive a game on. I would like to see him and Hourihane as our midfield two and then there is flexibility to do play 442, 4231, 433, but they are are best and most balanced central players.

Agree completely. Get Onomah in the same position he plays for England and he will control the game. Hourihane is more a threat in a more advanced role but combined we'll be a hell of a lot more ambitious. We can go to a three in central midfield with Whelan or Jedi coming in for the tougher games but the team will look more fluid with Onomah and Hourihane in the middle.

It would be interesting to see how Onomah and Hourihane cope in a midfield two. On paper, it looks like they could be overrun and I'm not sure I'd try it against Fulham to be honest.
But with the pace of Snod and Adomah, this would work as long as the team moves the ball more quickly.
A MF of Snod, Adomah, Onomah and Hourihane would provide both good defensive cover and attacking intent becuase there is speed, passing and physique in there. But it would require them to get up and down the pitch pretty sharply and the defence would need to play a higher line.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:49:03 AM by Mister E »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7296 on: October 17, 2017, 08:23:47 PM »
If Gabby Agbonlahor is the answer.... then what exactly is the question?

"As Hogan is so ineffectual off the bench, and Davis is not up to playing 90 minutes, do we have anyone who could come off the bench and offer something more?"
Very unfair on Hogan. The poor chap has not had a consistent run in the team with the team playing to his strengths so far. I would say he has been wasted since we signed him.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7297 on: October 17, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »

Also agree.
Agree completely.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #7298 on: October 17, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »

Also agree.
Agree completely.

And me

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7299 on: October 18, 2017, 06:41:33 AM »
Can anyone please give any stand out examples of when Bruce has made a tactical change that has made an impact on the match in a positive manner. I faintly remember a substitution (sorry formation change) against Bristol City where we got a draw. 

Not many i agree. Grealish on as sub v Brighton, especially away, is the one that stands out

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7300 on: October 18, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
I would like to know when we have beat a decent team in this division in Brucies time here

Offline Diablo

« Reply #7301 on: October 18, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »

Not many i agree. Grealish on as sub v Brighton, especially away, is the one that stands out
Good call. This question has been driving me crazy (I was really hoping it wasn't as bad as I could recall - with my poor memory - so wanted to throw it out there) ez also pointed out when he brought Gabby on against Blues (arguably SB best change?). Any more? For any more?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7302 on: October 18, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Fulham.
Wednesday.
Derby.
Reading.

Those are the stand out last season.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7303 on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

"As Hogan is so ineffectual off the bench, and Davis is not up to playing 90 minutes, do we have anyone who could come off the bench and offer something more?"
Very unfair on Hogan. The poor chap has not had a consistent run in the team with the team playing to his strengths so far. I would say he has been wasted since we signed him.

Unfair to say that Hogan has been ineffectual off the bench?  I would say it is absolutely spot on.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7304 on: October 18, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »

Unfair to say that Hogan has been ineffectual off the bench?  I would say it is absolutely spot on.
Hogan has been ineffectual since he came here. We don't play a style that suits his game. Bruce is obviously unwilling to change things to suit him so the question has to be asked. Why did we shell out 12 million quid on him?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal