collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113849 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7275 on: October 17, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
Agreed but I still don't think we'll do it, as I said before Wolves. As for Bruce, he needs to pick them up very quickly, a couple of defeats at Blues and Preston and he might as well fook off because he'll only be delaying the inevitable.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7276 on: October 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »
Agreed but I still don't think we'll do it, as I said before Wolves. As for Bruce, he needs to pick them up very quickly, a couple of defeats at Blues and Preston and he might as well fook off because he'll only be delaying the inevitable.

That's the key now, picking ourselves up. The players need to forget Saturday, it's done.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #7277 on: October 17, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
It does come across as 'Bruce must not lose' where for another manager, Saturday would have been a set back. I can't for the life of me think why.

It depends on the view of the 4 wins on the bounce. Was it a genuine maintainable upturn in form or was it just a positive blip in the regular form.

The performance on Saturday resulted in many thinking the latter whereas others think it was just a set back in a general progression that will eventually catch the top two.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7278 on: October 17, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Onomah is such a tidy player on the ball and he's got the magic P word, pace, to drive a game on. I would like to see him and Hourihane as our midfield two and then there is flexibility to do play 442, 4231, 433, but they are are best and most balanced central players.

Agree completely. Get Onomah in the same position he plays for England and he will control the game. Hourihane is more a threat in a more advanced role but combined we'll be a hell of a lot more ambitious. We can go to a three in central midfield with Whelan or Jedi coming in for the tougher games but the team will look more fluid with Onomah and Hourihane in the middle.

It would be interesting to see how Onomah and Hourihane cope in a midfield two. On paper, it looks like they could be overrun and I'm not sure I'd try it against Fulham to be honest.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7279 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
It does come across as 'Bruce must not lose' where for another manager, Saturday would have been a set back. I can't for the life of me think why.

It depends on the view of the 4 wins on the bounce. Was it a genuine maintainable upturn in form or was it just a positive blip in the regular form.

The performance on Saturday resulted in many thinking the latter whereas others think it was just a set back in a general progression that will eventually catch the top two.

I do personally think that the reaction to being beaten by on the day a very good Wolves side has been over the top although I agree, we wasn't good enough either.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7280 on: October 17, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
I think some struggle to realise that many people, myself included, are not entirely pissed off by the fact we lost a game to Wolves.
Its not 'because' we lost, its the 'way' we lost.

Yet again, for the umpteenth season, and the umpteenth time over the last 12 months, we have seen us in a game where we have been completely outclassed and played off the park by a team that plays attractive, progressive football.

For all the money we have spent, all the players we have signed, we are miles away from playing the type of football that will get us out of this division.       

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #7281 on: October 17, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »
You can only beat the opposition in front on you, but the run of wins coincided  with playing the worse teams in the league. By the end of the month we will have a better idea of how we are shaping up, I'd be surprised if we are in the top 4 by November.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #7282 on: October 17, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
For all the money we have spent, all the players we have signed, we are miles away from playing the type of football that will get us out of this division.

Nail on head

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #7283 on: October 17, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »

I do personally think that the reaction to being beaten by on the day a very good Wolves side has been over the top although I agree, we wasn't good enough either.

So, in relation to my comment, you are in the former camp.

Talking to a Wolves fan in the office, he thought that was the best they have played all season which would lead me to believe we allowed them to up their game rather than losing to a top side. Either way, we still lost with a very poor performance and we cannot afford to have too many of these between now and the end of the season if we are to finish in the top two.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7284 on: October 17, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »

So, in relation to my comment, you are in the former camp.

Talking to a Wolves fan in the office, he thought that was the best they have played all season which would lead me to believe we allowed them to up their game rather than losing to a top side. Either way, we still lost with a very poor performance and we cannot afford to have too many of these between now and the end of the season if we are to finish in the top two.

Whilst I agree we wasn't good enough, I think it would be wrong to take away from Wolves the decent game they had, especially in the second half. It was a bit of both for me, we were crap but they played well.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7285 on: October 17, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »
What I want, personally, is for us to be the team that opposition fans say "they're the best team we'll play all season" or "we won't get anything here" about.  Look at the comments about Wolves in the last few days, with the money we've spent and the squad we have how are we not being talked about in the same way?

We'll see the excuse that we need to gel, etc but Wolves finished below us and made a lot more changes than we did in the summer so why didn't they need 6months+ to settle in and gel?  Especially when you consider they signed young foreign players and we signed experienced pros who've had full careers in English football, what's the point in that approach if it takes time for them to work out how to play together and you fall behind the early pace?

Bruce isn't the cuase, he's a symptom of a club that has identity and style and wants to just bully it's way back into the premier league without putting the work in.  It's no secret that I want Bruce out but that's because I want them to start up the villa engine and have us on the journey now not some tomorrow that might never come.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #7286 on: October 17, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »

And what would this mythical 'type of football' be exactly ?

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #7287 on: October 17, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
I think some struggle to realise that many people, myself included, are not entirely pissed off by the fact we lost a game to Wolves.
Its not 'because' we lost, its the 'way' we lost.

Yet again, for the umpteenth season, and the umpteenth time over the last 12 months, we have seen us in a game where we have been completely outclassed and played off the park by a team that plays attractive, progressive football.

Correct.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7288 on: October 17, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
The defeat was symptomatic of the Bruce era.
Play a decent team.
Set the team up to stand off, get out played, watch the opposition dominate and do Absoloutely nothing about it.
The opostion score, lose.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7289 on: October 17, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
And what would this mythical 'type of football' be exactly ?

effective

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal