collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113586 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7245 on: October 16, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
Its only a matter of time before Bruce will replace Davis with the free scoring Gabby ..........
Although guess I won't object if Gabby is on the bench for that next away game

I'd argue he would offer more than Hogan at the moment. And even though Davis might be the future, he's not good enough to be relied upon each and every game.

Could have done with Gabby's pace against Wolves at the weekend. It might have given them something to think about, rather than having free reign to do what they wanted.

It took a couple of minutes to realise that this was a serious post. Gabby Agbonlahor is not the answer to our problems.

Care to tell us what is?

If I could do that I'd have a career in football. But I recognise a waste of a shirt when I see it.

Like Hogan, you mean?

If Hogan takes the piss out of the club for the next four or five years I'll totally agree.

He's not good enough to be with us four or five years, so you'll have to take the evidence in front of you.

Gabby hasn't been good enough for the last four or five years.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #7246 on: October 16, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »
if he comes on and kicks a few and flies into challenges and rattles them then let him loose because until he came on at vp last season no other villa player was prepared to do it.
which equals a 1-0 win

Online Clampy

« Reply #7247 on: October 16, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
Its only a matter of time before Bruce will replace Davis with the free scoring Gabby ..........

I'd argue he would offer more than Hogan at the moment. And even though Davis might be the future, he's not good enough to be relied upon each and every game.

Could have done with Gabby's pace against Wolves at the weekend. It might have given them something to think about, rather than having free reign to do what they wanted.

It took a couple of minutes to realise that this was a serious post. Gabby Agbonlahor is not the answer to our problems.

Care to tell us what is?

If I could do that I'd have a career in football. But I recognise a waste of a shirt when I see it.

Like Hogan, you mean?

If Hogan takes the piss out of the club for the next four or five years I'll totally agree.

Can you honestly see Hogan scoring critical goals in big matches?

Apart from Blues, how often does Gabby do that?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7248 on: October 16, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »
If Gabby Agbonlahor is the answer.... then what exactly is the question?

"As Hogan is so ineffectual off the bench, and Davis is not up to playing 90 minutes, do we have anyone who could come off the bench and offer something more?"

Offline The Edge

« Reply #7249 on: October 16, 2017, 07:47:18 PM »
Gabbys days are done at villa park. After watching Wolves hungry young talented players put us to the sword the very idea that he still draws a lucrative salary out of the club is a depressing thought.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #7250 on: October 16, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »

Care to tell us what is?

Like Hogan, you mean?

Exactly. I can see Hogan scoring goals against anyone in this league once we stop trying to use him as a target man.

I can't see him being unfit for purpose for years and being an absolute fucking embarrassment during the relegation season such as Gabby was / is. Still overweight, still constantly injured, still robbing a living from the football club. But pop up with the odd goal against the six fingered freaks and all is forgiven.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7251 on: October 16, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »

Care to tell us what is?

Like Hogan, you mean?

More than Hogan, even though he's 30 and past scoring goals against the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7252 on: October 16, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
Who is this "Blues"?

Online Clampy

« Reply #7253 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »

Care to tell us what is?

Like Hogan, you mean?

More than Hogan, even though he's 30 and past scoring goals against the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd.

You mean just one, against Blues. Chester has scored more goals than Gabby in the last couple of season's. Say's it all really.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #7254 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »
Who is this "Blues"?

I think I was more accurate with "six fingered freaks" 😉

Offline The Edge

« Reply #7255 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:42 PM »
Listening to the phone in on WM earlier was excruciating. Fans of the Black Country Barcelona crowing and Small Heath knuckle draggers revelling in our misery was hard to stomach. Cockerills men will run through brick walls for him they've concluded after one result and they can't wait to "do the villa." Your job now Steve Bruce is to shove it back down their throats. Restore the pride at Villa Park. If you can't do that please bow out and give someone else a shot.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #7256 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
The thing is you don't have to press teams, it's a bit of a 'flavour of the month' right now but it isn't essential.  What's more important is that you don't let the opposition have the ball where they want it.  Against us, for example, crowd around Davis and get into Kodjia early.  Get both of those right and the rest of our team will be too deep to have an impact.  That's not about pressing, it's about having a plan to deal with how teams play.  That's what we're really missing and it's where Bruce doesn't learn.  Against Brentford in January Ryan Woods was the best play on the pitch by a mile because we let him have time and space to run the game.  Against Brentford a month ago we did exactly the same thing and it turned out similar but they didn't have the same cutting edge to punish us.

That's the real problem with us right now, once we get a decent result or 2 our style gets fixed and teams can analyse that and find things to work on but we never do that to them, you never see the subtle changes to the shape to isolate the slow defender or to get Davis/Kodjia playing wider to stop a full back wander up field so often.

For example given they were play a back 3 I'd have got Davis to drift to the right, Kodjia to drift a bit deeper, pushed Adomah higher up the pitch and got Snodgrass to step inside a little.  By having 2 wide forwards like that they either have to keep the wing backs deep or push the wide centre backs out on them.  Either way you're creating space for us to work with and disrupting their plans by making them worry about how they counter us.  Bruce never makes those adjustments.
I actually thought we pressed up quite well in the first half thus Wolves never really got behind us..we didn't do that at the start of the second half which proved our downfall. My biggest criticism I can lay at us is how slowly we come out in the 2nd half of games, Bruce really needs to address this more than anything else.

do you think Arthritis and rheumatism is allowed to set in with the older players?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7257 on: October 16, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »

Care to tell us what is?

Like Hogan, you mean?

You mean just one, against Blues. Chester has scored more goals than Gabby in the last couple of season's. Say's it all really.

That doesn't exactly help the 'Hogan over Gabby' argument though, does it?

What "says it all" is a 30 year old, "past it", "fat", "waster" like Gabby is still a better option than  a player at his 'peak' coached by Bruce.

Gabby off the bench, over Hogan, would help us in my opinion.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #7258 on: October 16, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
My eyes are bleeding

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7259 on: October 16, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
Who is this "Blues"?

I think I was more accurate with "six fingered freaks" 😉

God gave them six fingers on each hand so they could count to twelve.  It was cruel on them when matchday squads/subs were increased.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal