collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113757 times)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7155 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:55 PM »
Hypothetical I know, but I wonder how Wolves would be getting on with Bruce in charge of that group of players?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #7156 on: October 15, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
Hypothetical I know, but I wonder how Wolves would be getting on with Bruce in charge of that group of players?

He would never have brought them in the first place.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #7157 on: October 15, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »

Yeah I know - I'm just trying to imagine what he would do, if by some turn of events, he was in charge of that team.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7158 on: October 15, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
My concerns are more to do with the coaching than anything else. Does anyone really think that Calderwood and Clemence have what it takes to coach these players sufficiently well to succeed? Who is our attacking coach? From what I saw yesterday whoever it was had the week off.

These are men who have been coached since they were 7. They know how to play football. Managers can be blamed for picking the wrong team or formation or for not making the right substitutions but if an individual fails to perform that is down to him. On the basis of the last few weeks I am putting yesterday down to playing against a team who were better on the day. How we now respond will tell us more than a one off game.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7159 on: October 15, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »
If you swapped the managers,Villa would have won.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7160 on: October 15, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
we are in that worst position possible with Bruce i feared this would happen at the start of the season

not bad enough to get the sack

not good enough to be our manager

I'd have thought the worst position possible would have been bottom of the league but I suppose we all have different priorities.

I was talking about the position of Bruce at the club not league position in that post

Have to agree John. We're sort of keeping pace with the play-off places while never looking like making a concerted push to get into the mix. You could say the same about every team down to 12th such is the bunching up of teams. Will the much trumpeted 1 defeat in 9 form continue or is this the start of a dip in results if not the godawful football? By January we'll know if we're firmly in a play-off place or sitting around wondering why we gave Bruce till then.

No concerted push. What is 4 wins in a row then?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #7161 on: October 15, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
we are in that worst position possible with Bruce i feared this would happen at the start of the season

I'd have thought the worst position possible would have been bottom of the league but I suppose we all have different priorities.

I was talking about the position of Bruce at the club not league position in that post

Have to agree John. We're sort of keeping pace with the play-off places while never looking like making a concerted push to get into the mix. You could say the same about every team down to 12th such is the bunching up of teams. Will the much trumpeted 1 defeat in 9 form continue or is this the start of a dip in results if not the godawful football? By January we'll know if we're firmly in a play-off place or sitting around wondering why we gave Bruce till then.

Those 4 wins don't count because they are against lower league teams. Do keep up

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7162 on: October 15, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »

Those 4 wins don't count because they are against lower league teams. Do keep up
And the losses are irrelevant because they were against teams that are better than us.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7163 on: October 15, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »
Who on earth on here has said the losses are irrelevant?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #7164 on: October 15, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »

And the losses are irrelevant because they were against teams that are better than us.
Well yes they are, providing we start winning again starting on Saturday

Online rogfromb6

« Reply #7165 on: October 15, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
No one has suggested the defeats were irrelevant.  It's the fact then when we win somehow it doesn't count.
Wolves haven't beaten any of the current top 6. Does that mean they are not genuine contenders? Of course not.

It's completely understandable if fans are not completely convinced but it's ridiculous to write off our chances under Bruce when we are a point off the play offs 5 points off second and there are three quarters of the season to go.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #7166 on: October 15, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
I think the point is that if you write we can only beat who is front of us, then equally you have to agree we can only lose to who is in front of us. It seems some posters always want to write off either the loses or the wins. The worry for me yesterday is how badly outplayed we were and at how there didn't seem to be any idea of how to change it. We'll see - we're seventh and still in with a great chance. But equally we are going to have to improve as our form has not been good enough for more than a season now to even be in the top six, let alone top two.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7167 on: October 15, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »

Any manager would have the same set as Mendes is the one deciding who comes in.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #7168 on: October 15, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
Imagine if we did go up with this team. Not being dramatic but genuinely we would need 8 or 9 new players. Stoke, an established Premier League team, conceded 7 at Man City yesterday. We would get destroyed most weeks and would be happy with a draw at Bournemouth or Watford.

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7169 on: October 15, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
I don't think you should sack any manager who is one point off the play offs and five points off the top two.

But we were shite yesterday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal