collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113698 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6915 on: September 27, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »
He was forced to play a young lad that's turned out to be just what we needed more luck than planned. The forward line does look potent now though.
If he is responsible for all our ills when we play badly, notwithstanding that there may be mitigating circumstances such as injuries or players going off the rails, then it's churlish not to give him credit when we play well.

Saying he stumbled across a player who was in the squad and he chose to give a chance to (above Hogan & McCormac) is daft.  He didn't stumble across him, he used him when he felt appropriate.

Yes the football has been poor and yes it was getting to the stage where he must have been close to losing his job, but if he has found a formula that works and starts turning around 6 years of poor performances, then he deserves more credit than saying it's all by accident.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #6916 on: September 27, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
I just find it hard to believe that Bjarnason's best position is out on the left. Just comes off more to me as a midfield scrapper in a team where quality on the ball is less of a requirement.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6917 on: September 27, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
He was forced to play a young lad that's turned out to be just what we needed more luck than planned. The forward line does look potent now though.
If he is responsible for all our ills when we play badly, notwithstanding that there may be mitigating circumstances such as injuries or players going off the rails, then it's churlish not to give him credit when we play well.

Saying he stumbled across a player who was in the squad and he chose to give a chance to (above Hogan & McCormac) is daft.  He didn't stumble across him, he used him when he felt appropriate.

Yes the football has been poor and yes it was getting to the stage where he must have been close to losing his job, but if he has found a formula that works and starts turning around 6 years of poor performances, then he deserves more credit than saying it's all by accident.

Quite so.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #6918 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »
I just find it hard to believe that Bjarnason's best position is out on the left.
Barny's best position left on the out.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #6919 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
Left back in the dressing room is definitely his best position.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #6920 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
I just find it hard to believe that Bjarnason's best position is out on the left.
Barny's best position left on the out.

what about more central role he has an engine ?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6921 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »

I can't speak for others but for me most of the criticism was for him doing things that didn't make sense given the club we are and the squad we have.  playing a 451, having 2 fairly attacking central midfielders but playing them deep was just bad, and yet we set up that way from January until the last couple of weeks.  It's great that he's found a shape for us which allows us to get 3-4 players around the box when we attack but it's really something he should've been able to do months sooner.

The argument will be that he didn't have the players for it, and there is an element of truth to that but it also ignores how we were playing in pre-season and in the first 6 games where the shape and style was largely an extension of what we'd seen.

I don't think it was luck that things ticked with Adomah, Davis and Hourihane (none started the first match) but it also wasn't planned and all 3 were the result of him being forced into changing his plans.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6922 on: September 27, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »

Agree totally.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #6923 on: September 27, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
Bruce has to be praised for recognising Davis as a possible solution and persisting with it. It takes some guts to keep a £12M signing on the bench and playing a kid.

(what am I saying what am I saying  :o)

Offline Archie

« Reply #6924 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
its good to see we are at last now doing what we should be doing

i never wanted Bruce and i'm not changing my mind just because we have won a few games against Burton Ablion etc in this shit division
 any manager in this division would get us into the play offs, every single one of them
 so if we do make the play offs and we should its because we have far better players than everyone else not because Bruce is special he's bang average at best but with this squad could still get us up

he's only now starting to do now what he should have done last season and what he was bought in to do
 its taken him a year and its still early days but lets hope it continues because we desperately need to go up this year even if it has to be with him

100% agree.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6925 on: September 27, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
Or has he been steadily building up?

I'm sure I heard or read a quote recently that he was more concerned with stopping the rot of conceding stupid goals and matches and learning how to defend properly first before playing a more expansive game.

It seems to be getting there though the jury is still out.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #6926 on: September 27, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »
Maybe we should change the name of this thread with minimum disruption? We don't want to appear fickle. A simple cut and paste that can be cut and pasted back if necessary should do it. Suggestions include:

Bruce gout?
Bruce pout?
Bruce turnabout?
Bruce bailout?
Bruce brown trout?
Bruce looks like a Brussels sprout!
Bruce truce.
Bruce noose.
Bruce abuse.
Bruce deduce.
Bruce excuse.
Bruce unloose.
Bruce vamoose.
Bruce drug abuse.
Bruce on the loose.
Bruce alcohol abuse.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6927 on: September 27, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »

I think you'll find Hogan was injured in the previous game, having injections in his ankle and not fully fit to face Norwich, hence the introduction of Davis.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #6928 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
If the poll was re-run now the results would be interesting.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #6929 on: September 27, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
Maybe we should change the name of this thread with minimum disruption? We don't want to appear fickle. A simple cut and paste that can be cut and pasted back if necessary should do it. Suggestions include:

Bruce gout?
Bruce pout?
Bruce turnabout?
Bruce bailout?
Bruce brown trout?
Bruce looks like a Brussels sprout!
Bruce truce.
Bruce noose.
Bruce abuse.
Bruce deduce.
Bruce excuse.
Bruce unloose.
Bruce vamoose.
Bruce drug abuse.
Bruce on the loose.
Bruce alcohol abuse.

Can we combine all these and make a new poll?

Or would it be abstruse?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal