collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113433 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6675 on: September 21, 2017, 10:37:51 PM »
I hate being in division 2, and yet I don't miss the PL either. I'd rather be in it than where we are, but I don't miss that circus.

Agree PWS.  What have the majority of Premier League teams got to play for?  Once they are safe from relegation, the best many can realistically hope for is a Europa League spot - a competition that no one really wants to be in.  The majority of them aren't bothered about the cup competitions and field weakened sides in those, so what is there to look forward to? 

At least in the Championship, quite a few of the teams have got something to play for.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:45:32 PM by tomd2103 »

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #6676 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
I hate being in division 2, and yet I don't miss the PL either. I'd rather be in it than where we are, but I don't miss that circus.

Agree PWS.  What have the majority of Premier League teams got to play for?  Once they are safe from relegation, the best many can realistically hope for is a Europa League spot - a competition that no one really wants to be in.  The majority of them aren't bothered about the cup competitions and field weakened sides in those, so what is there to look forward to? 

At least in the Championship, quite a few of the teams have got so etching to play for.

The Pulis approach. Get to 40 points and put your feet up.
I would still want to be in the top flight where this club belongs.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6677 on: September 21, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
I kind of wish I had that ability to just enjoy Villa playing regardless of where we are, but I cant.

I find it very difficult to see our great club accepting being third rate and "one of the pack" in the second tier. I just cant enjoy it. Possibly if we were doing like we should be then I could (IE: top of the league) but struggling in the bottom half? Nah I just can't celebrate that.

Again no disrespect to fellow fans who can, I just can't.

I agree, I guess given what we've been served up for the best part of a decade, a change is as good as a rest.

Being on the Premier League is fine but you want to be able to compete. I doubt any Villa fan would say they're happy with our lot, but also the perennially shit performances in the Premier League were just so awful that anything different was relief of some sort.

I just want us to be challenging for trophies, the best trophies, not Auto Windscreen, Leyland Daf etc.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #6678 on: September 21, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »

It's this 'we're a big club' thing that stops some folks from enjoying anything Villa related these days it seems. We were a big club once upon a time, and we're still a historically big club to us and anyone in the media over the age of 40 that gives two shits about us. But to anyone else we're an irrelevance and just another team (like Everton for example) that just exist for no apparent reason.

I doubt there's a person (non Villa related) under the age of 30 that considers us a big club. And the sooner folks realise this is the way it is the better i reckon.

I just enjoy the Villa for me, what other people think of us, or what opposition we're playing week in week out doesn't really bother me. I only go to the game to watch us, so whether we're playing Brentford or Arsenal genuinely doesn't bother me one bit. I don't feel any shame at being in this league, i don't miss the PL one bit, and i haven't watched MOTD for over a year either.

I've literally no interest in watching any other football anymore. I just watch my team, and that's it. If we do well great, if we do bad, we try again next match. No drama.

You seem to swallow and regurgitate every negative cliche spouted about Villa, agreeing with Bruce that there is mass hysteria, saying all the complainers were the ones who had a go at Yorke years ago and they all demand beautiful tika taka football and even defending the fickle comment.  Now saying no-one under 30 thinks we're a big club.  You're just plain wrong on that, I find a lot of people I talk to asking what's gone wrong with such a great club with a fantastic tradition and huge fan base.  In fact I know bluenoses and Smethwick fans that show more respect for the club and its fans than you seem to.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:26:50 PM by ktvillan »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6679 on: September 21, 2017, 11:32:29 PM »
'Proper' fans still have a lot of time and respect for us, your overseas and plastics, probably not as Sky haven't told them to.

Back in 2016 before the Everton game I was stood outside Tesco waiting for RedSox and 4 or 5 typical scallies walked up to me, late teens early 20s, standard outfit of trackies etc and must admit I thought "oh shit, here we go, i'm getting too old for this." Instead they wanted to know if I thought we could still stay up and really hoped we would as we're a 'proper' club, VP is great etc. Nothing but respect for us as a club and seemed genuinely saddened at the state we were in.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6680 on: September 21, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »
Everton supporting colleague told me in work only the other day that it's a joke seeing us in the Championship and he wants us promoted back where we belong.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6681 on: September 21, 2017, 11:42:43 PM »
I hate being in the Championship. As much as I dislike what the PL has ultimately become it's the only place to be. We are a PL club in pretty much every way off the pitch. I hate that over time we are thought of as anything but a massive club. That's all on us. Both internally how we have acted, players, managers, owners, board and even fans to a point. We've been the architect of our own downfall and I simply don't want to settle for life in this division.

Pretty much my thoughts.

The Premier league is far from perfect of course but the achievements that stick in the memory come from us competing well in the top division of English football.

I can understand the poster on the last page saying he goes to the Villa to watch us and not the opposition but he can't say he dosen't get more of a feeling of satisfaction over the weekends when we would turn over the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool.

To me those results stick far longer in the memory than scraping past QPR 1-0, a game which I'd already forgotten about by the next morning.

Big disappointment for me at this level is how dull the games have generally been. We've played 50 odd games at this level and there's hardly been any thrilling or memorable games we've been involved in.

Guess that says a lot about how we've approached things down here.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6682 on: September 21, 2017, 11:45:22 PM »
Its not the fact that we're in the Championship that bothers me...it's the fact that we're a shit to average team in the Championship that boils my piss. Life down here was supposed to not only be a chance to rebuild, but also to see us comfortably winning most games whilst brushing opponents aside with exciting football...it was supposed to be a nice enjoyable holiday but its turning into the holiday from hell in less than suitable accommodation with shit stained bed sheets.

This for me too. After the last 6 or 7 years I just want to see some entertainment. Norwich was fun but such games are still too few and far between considering the shite we're up against week in week out.

Norwich was a good performance but we always beat Norwich at VP. Our worst team in 30 years comfortably beat them.

I did think coming down here we'd have plenty of 3-2/4-3 comeback style wins so we've failed miserably in that regard to entertain and give a bit more hope to the fanbase.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #6683 on: September 21, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »

At least in the Championship, quite a few of the teams have got so etching to play for.

The Pulis approach. Get to 40 points and put your feet up.
I would still want to be in the top flight where this club belongs.

Oh I agree, we need to be in the top flight, especially with the financial situation going the way it is. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6684 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
Even if we didn't go up straight away I expected us to dish out some real pastings. In the 54 league games we've played down here, Norwich is the only time we've scored 4. And we've managed 3 in three other games.

PL54 F57 A57.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:54:02 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6685 on: September 22, 2017, 12:01:03 AM »
Living overseas you realise that once you're not in the PL you become utterly and totally irrelevant.  It's like you dont exist.

Our overseas fan base must have tanked in numbers compared to where it was 5-6 years ago - Lerner really did do a job on us.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6686 on: September 22, 2017, 12:36:27 AM »

it felt like a circus because we were the clowns. I'd like to be in it when we have role the isn't one solely for the amusement of others.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #6687 on: September 22, 2017, 12:53:13 AM »

It's this 'we're a big club' thing that stops some folks from enjoying anything Villa related these days it seems. We were a big club once upon a time, and we're still a historically big club to us and anyone in the media over the age of 40 that gives two shits about us. But to anyone else we're an irrelevance and just another team (like Everton for example) that just exist for no apparent reason.

I doubt there's a person (non Villa related) under the age of 30 that considers us a big club. And the sooner folks realise this is the way it is the better i reckon.

I just enjoy the Villa for me, what other people think of us, or what opposition we're playing week in week out doesn't really bother me. I only go to the game to watch us, so whether we're playing Brentford or Arsenal genuinely doesn't bother me one bit. I don't feel any shame at being in this league, i don't miss the PL one bit, and i haven't watched MOTD for over a year either.

I've literally no interest in watching any other football anymore. I just watch my team, and that's it. If we do well great, if we do bad, we try again next match. No drama.

You seem to swallow and regurgitate every negative cliche spouted about Villa, agreeing with Bruce that there is mass hysteria, saying all the complainers were the ones who had a go at Yorke years ago and they all demand beautiful tika taka football and even defending the fickle comment.  Now saying no-one under 30 thinks we're a big club.  You're just plain wrong on that, I find a lot of people I talk to asking what's gone wrong with such a great club with a fantastic tradition and huge fan base.  In fact I know bluenoses and Smethwick fans that show more respect for the club and its fans than you seem to.

Oh grow up FFS. Why is it that anytime anyone has the temerity to disagree with you, you revert to insult and putting people down. If you don't understand that some fans are not going to agree with you, just disagree without the barbed comments. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #6688 on: September 22, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »
We can get back into the Premier League, be competitive and climb back towards the top but, I believe,  it can only be done taking small steps. It will take time. It will not work doing what we are now and that is throwing everything at getting promotion, without a thought for the future. I am of a generation that doesn't want everything now and not pressured by the hype of the media that todays news is old news.

I believe that it is not too late to build for the future but that means getting the football side of the Club right first. It means getting in a progressive manager and coaching, not the 'think of today' crew we have now. You cannot keep on thinking of just the next match because the future will not take care of it's self.

The 'Villa engine' is the right approach but it has to be more than just words.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #6689 on: September 22, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
At the end of the day none of these arguments matter. No matter how miserable Villa make me at times, the club has been part of my life since early childhood and I'm not going to stop worrying, caring, loving and occasionally hating it now, regardless of the league we are playing in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal