collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113413 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6525 on: September 19, 2017, 08:02:18 AM »
Beautiful football? Apart from in the first round we won the European cup by scoring six goals in seven games.  We clinched a league title with a poor performance in a 2-0 defeat. We wildly celebrated a win on penalties against Tranmere. If one day we stink out an FA cup final (again) and actually win it would we all walk out in protest before the trophy is presented? Did we not celebrate only beating the noses 1-0 a couple of times in recent seasons?

It isn't about the taking part, it is about winning.

you see I read that and don't understand it,

maybe it's just me but it's as if we've been supported different teams for the last 40 years

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6526 on: September 19, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »
Apart from the win at Bradford I don't remember much great football in SGT's promotion winning season. But I do remember quite a few away wins and us getting promoted.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6527 on: September 19, 2017, 08:07:11 AM »
Beautiful football? Apart from in the first round we won the European cup by scoring six goals in seven games.  We clinched a league title with a poor performance in a 2-0 defeat. We wildly celebrated a win on penalties against Tranmere. If one day we stink out an FA cup final (again) and actually win it would we all walk out in protest before the trophy is presented? Did we not celebrate only beating the noses 1-0 a couple of times in recent seasons?

maybe it's just me but it's as if we've been supported different teams for the last 40 years

I was pointing out things we have achieved without playing like Brazil 1970 all the time. Please feel free to point out any parts of my post that were incorrect. If I point out that Peter Withe's goal in Rotterdam was a slightly scrappy finish does that mean you weren't celebrating behind that goal as much as me when the goal went in and at the final whistle?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6528 on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »
We would win more in Division 1.  Perhaps that is the cunning plan.

Online john e

« Reply #6529 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »

I was pointing out things we have achieved without playing like Brazil 1970 all the time. Please feel free to point out any parts of my post that were incorrect. If I point out that Peter Withe's goal in Rotterdam was a slightly scrappy finish does that mean you weren't celebrating behind that goal as much as me when the goal went in and at the final whistle?

we didn't achieve winning the league by playing like we did against Arsenal though that was one game at the end of the season if we played every game like that we wouldn't have been champions
You can't reduce the whole of the 81/82 champions team to one game at the end of the season

I don't honestly know what your on about, every one knows not every game is brilliant but to pick out a poor game here and there in the past  and compare it to what we have got now is bizarre

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6530 on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
When we win,we appear to be bladdering sides and play good stuff. How freshingly professional was the 2nd half? Third goal was always key and we got it early, probably should have had more and then strangled the life out of the game, knocking it around nicely and defending solidly and calmly. One lucky ricochet apart, they never went close.

Confidence is a big factor but it appears we have capacity to be a good side, we've just seldom set up that way.

If we are to be promoted then no doubt there will be scrappy one nils and results we sneak, but there will be plenty of Norwich and Barnsley style cigars out as well.

It's a bit of irrelevant point to make to suggest people want dire football. Who has suggested that? People want winning football, promotion and that will deliver a mix bag of performances but hopefully more Barnsley type efforts are to come.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #6531 on: September 19, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
Apart from the win at Bradford I don't remember much great football in SGT's promotion winning season. But I do remember quite a few away wins and us getting promoted.

Hull and Plymouth off the top of my mind were handy performances.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6532 on: September 19, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
I'd rather grind out 1-0 wins than lose 4-3 every game but then I'd also rather go for wins and had some defeats than settle for draws. If we won half and lost half we'd be way better off than if we went undefeated by drawing every game.

But, I'd prefer us to attack every game, be entertained and win too.

Online john e

« Reply #6533 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
yeah but there's people arguing on here that the football isn't really that poor under Bruce and it's never been any different in the past anyway

I can't agree with that

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6534 on: September 19, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »
When we win,we appear to be bladdering sides and play good stuff. How freshingly professional was the 2nd half? Third goal was always key and we got it early, probably should have had more and then strangled the life out of the game, knocking it around nicely and defending solidly and calmly. One lucky ricochet apart, they never went close.

Confidence is a big factor but it appears we have capacity to be a good side, we've just seldom set up that way.

If we are to be promoted then no doubt there will be scrappy one nils and results we sneak, but there will be plenty of Norwich and Barnsley style cigars out as well.

It's a bit of irrelevant point to make to suggest people want dire football. Who has suggested that? People want winning football, promotion and that will deliver a mix bag of performances but hopefully more Barnsley type efforts are to come.

The bold bit highlights how stupidly black and white people are trying to make this.  No one is asking for Brazil 1970 performances every game either but any of us who have been critical of the way we play under Bruce have this nonsense argument thrown at us that we would be happy to lose every week so long as we were passing the ball.  We all want to see a team that wins more often and the difference is how we think that's more likely to be achieved.

I personally think that setting up the way Bruce has for the last 11 months will always lead to runs of poor form because there will be plenty of games where we struggle to score goals and every team will concede silly goals here and there and those 2 combined, along with the fact that Bruce seems to struggle to pick the team back up after a defeat, will get in the way of us making a charge for the top 2.  I said 5th-8th in the summer if he stays and I'm sticking with that, we're better than where we are but we're not good enough to be where we should be and I don't think Bruce will be able to fully bridge that gap because he doesn't seem to see that our best performances come when we put the poor defenders in this league under pressure to make snap decisions.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6535 on: September 19, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
If I point out that Peter Withe's goal in Rotterdam was a slightly scrappy finish does that mean you weren't celebrating behind that goal as much as me when the goal went in and at the final whistle?

What you failed to mention was the cracking bit of football leading up to Withe knocking it in. It was a move to be proud of and never tire of watching.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #6536 on: September 19, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
If I point out that Peter Withe's goal in Rotterdam was a slightly scrappy finish does that mean you weren't celebrating behind that goal as much as me when the goal went in and at the final whistle?

What you failed to mention was the cracking bit of football leading up to Withe knocking it in. It was a move to be proud of and never tire of watching.
It was a fantastic, lightning demolition of the mighty Bayern Munich. Come on Bruce, let's see a few moves like that in the 2nd Division! I won't hold my breath.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6537 on: September 19, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »

The bold bit highlights how stupidly black and white people are trying to make this.  No one is asking for Brazil 1970 performances every game either but any of us who have been critical of the way we play under Bruce have this nonsense argument thrown at us that we would be happy to lose every week so long as we were passing the ball.  We all want to see a team that wins more often and the difference is how we think that's more likely to be achieved.

I personally think that setting up the way Bruce has for the last 11 months will always lead to runs of poor form because there will be plenty of games where we struggle to score goals and every team will concede silly goals here and there and those 2 combined, along with the fact that Bruce seems to struggle to pick the team back up after a defeat, will get in the way of us making a charge for the top 2.  I said 5th-8th in the summer if he stays and I'm sticking with that, we're better than where we are but we're not good enough to be where we should be and I don't think Bruce will be able to fully bridge that gap because he doesn't seem to see that our best performances come when we put the poor defenders in this league under pressure to make snap decisions.

In your haste to be as obnoxiously offensive as you can be without calling anybody a ******, you have missed the point. I am saying its anything other than black and white, that nobody wants poor football or considers that there is a one style of turgid football that leads to promotion, as was being discussed.

I like this site, shame there's not an ignore function.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6538 on: September 19, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
In what way is that obnoxiously offensive?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #6539 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »
What constitutes good football though?  Is playing the ball up to a front man's chest or feet and playing off him good football?  I don't mind direct football, as long as it isn't aimless hoofing up field to forwards who have no chance of competing in the air.  If playing up to a front man who can hold the ball up allows more creative players to get into the final third then I think that is fine. 

I remember watching Swansea at VP when they first came up under Rodgers and everyone was raving about their style of football and thinking I couldn't watch that every week, as it was just passing sideways and backwards.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal