collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114953 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6510 on: September 18, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
How dare anyone criticise the manager for being the only one in over 40 years that keeps us mainly in the bottom half of division 2. We should be grateful we win 1 game a month.

Well not many of the others have had a team in this division to try and get out of have they ? what a bizarre comparison

None of them were in charge of the most expensive squad in the division either. Not sure why so many seem to have a problem with criticising a manger for our lowest finish since 1974 and who doesn't looking overly capable of improving on it.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #6511 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »
That was one hell of a minority moaning at McLeish in the Bolton game.  And yes, we really used to be very good.

I don't how old you are Brian forgive me, but i started going to VP as a kid in '82. First match we lost at home to Liverpool 2-4

In all my years I struggle to think of many sides that have played this mythical 'wonderful pleasing on the eye football' everyone seems to crow on about these days. Maybe under Big Ron & Little for a while. Not much else has been silky passing football though from my memory.

Which makes it even more confusing when folks go on like we're currently missing out on some Tiki-taka 'it's the Villa way' that we've always had and have now suddenly lost under Bruce

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #6512 on: September 18, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
None of them were in charge of the most expensive squad in the division either

Is that even true? Boro have spent 50m this summer alone, and the Dogheads have also spent a small fortune. I'm not sure you can even blame Bruce for the cost of the squad as it's not like he's spent all the money on the players we currently have. He must be evens if not in credit during his reign

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6513 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
Beautiful football though .. and that's what folks want apparently

You seem to be utterly missing the point that no one expects us to be playing like Brazil '70, but being better than Cardiff, Bristol City etc isn't too much to expect, neither is winning more than once every month or so.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:08:41 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6514 on: September 18, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »
We once hàd a season, PWS will tell me which one, in which our numbers 8 (Tommy Thompson) and 10 (Johnny Dixon) scored 43 goals between them.  Dave Walsh whom we nicked from the Olbiyun in mid season at number 9, weighed in with a mere 10 goals.  Getting out of the Championship requires something similar.  It's goals that get you promoted.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #6515 on: September 18, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »
We once hàd a season, PWS will tell me which one, in which our numbers 8 (Tommy Thompson) and 10 (Johnny Dixon) scored 43 goals between them.  Dave Walsh whom we nicked from the Olbiyun in mid season at number 9, weighed in with a mere 10 goals.  Getting out of the Championship requires something similar.  It's goals that get you promoted.

Agreed. You cannot bore your way out of this division. You can just about get away with defensive as long as you are full of pace on the counter and good from set pieces. Tight at the back and try to nick one as your tactic in every game leaves too much margin for error.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6516 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
It's goals that get you promoted.

I'd be fucking flabbergasted if that had never been the case. Somewhere around 1.75 minimum a game, I'd guess, throughout history.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6517 on: September 18, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »

Amen.

79 goals in our promotional season 1974-75 and that doesn't include the goals in our League Cup winning campaign.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #6518 on: September 18, 2017, 09:04:08 PM »

Its what I want. Yes. I hate seeing my team play negative or low skill football. Yes I am entitled, yes I think Aston Villa is better than the way we have played in recent years.

I get excited by seeing us play well, its not an alternative to winning but it certainly is an enjoyment multiplier. I dont really care what KIND of high quality style we pick either. Pressing, fast direct counter attack, possession and work your way into the box, I dont care what flavour I just dont think bland stereotypical lower league football is going to work for us long term, as we have already seen.

In this league playing a modern game is just icing on the top, it feels good but you can do without it. In the Premier league its a matter of survival as we discovered the hard way. If we dont develop an "engine" or a modern approach to playing football then we will be coming right back down, so we may as well invest in it now.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #6519 on: September 18, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
That was one hell of a minority moaning at McLeish in the Bolton game.  And yes, we really used to be very good.

I don't how old you are Brian forgive me, but i started going to VP as a kid in '82. First match we lost at home to Liverpool 2-4

In all my years I struggle to think of many sides that have played this mythical 'wonderful pleasing on the eye football' everyone seems to crow on about these days. Maybe under Big Ron & Little for a while. Not much else has been silky passing football though from my memory.

Which makes it even more confusing when folks go on like we're currently missing out on some Tiki-taka 'it's the Villa way' that we've always had and have now suddenly lost under Bruce

You're getting all hyperbolic again to try and support your insupportable hyperbollix.  I haven't seen anyone saying they want silky smooth passing flowing football or that this kind of thing has always been our tradition and is our birthright.   Right now just basic competence, some passing and movement,  and a will to go forward would be a start at least.  You know, the very basics of football? 

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #6520 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
I always think the likes of Bruce think they're slumming it. Same with DOL. They've been at their chosen club for most of their career and it's all a bit "meh" when they walk into a dressing room and it's not full of internationals. I think it's a common trait amongst them and a lot of very good players have failed as managers because they can't adapt to average players. Bruce seems to have taken the option of keeping it very very simple so the poor players can grasp the concept and it works to  upto a point but you're are never going to get a bruce side worrying the top of the premiership

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6521 on: September 19, 2017, 12:38:15 AM »
We'll know soon enough with the game tomorrow if Bruce has decided to use Barnsley as a platform to push on from. For large parts of the last game vs Boro we did the square root of fuck all. I'm hoping he uses this opportunity to really go at a very average Boro side, dictate the tempo and win the game. I don't need him to ram words down my throat. I want him to win. That's all.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6522 on: September 19, 2017, 01:15:08 AM »

Its what I want. Yes. I hate seeing my team play negative or low skill football. Yes I am entitled, yes I think Aston Villa is better than the way we have played in recent years.

I get excited by seeing us play well, its not an alternative to winning but it certainly is an enjoyment multiplier. I dont really care what KIND of high quality style we pick either. Pressing, fast direct counter attack, possession and work your way into the box, I dont care what flavour I just dont think bland stereotypical lower league football is going to work for us long term, as we have already seen.

In this league playing a modern game is just icing on the top, it feels good but you can do without it. In the Premier league its a matter of survival as we discovered the hard way. If we dont develop an "engine" or a modern approach to playing football then we will be coming right back down, so we may as well invest in it now.
Ciggiesnbeer - spot-on for me, too.
More eloquently put than I could.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6523 on: September 19, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
What's the point in supporting/following a football team if you don't enjoy the football they play

Why do people think that playing the worst football to watch is the only way to get promoted

I realise that at times you have to dig in and grind out a result but why does that have to be the default playing style

I've honestly never understood this argument

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6524 on: September 19, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »
Beautiful football? Apart from in the first round we won the European cup by scoring six goals in seven games.  We clinched a league title with a poor performance in a 2-0 defeat. We wildly celebrated a win on penalties against Tranmere. If one day we stink out an FA cup final (again) and actually win it would we all walk out in protest before the trophy is presented? Did we not celebrate only beating the noses 1-0 a couple of times in recent seasons?

It isn't about the taking part, it is about winning.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:57:54 AM by Damo70 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal