collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113283 times)

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6165 on: September 15, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
He mentioned Brentford and half of the Cardiff game as poor, so he thinks Reading away was good? God help us.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #6166 on: September 15, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
Steve, if I may be so bold...stop with the 'mass hysteria' crap. All we are doing is holding you to the standard you (and Wyness) set pre-season for promotion. You're not meeting your own target, though clearly it's not your fault  ::)

The sooner he's gone the better.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #6167 on: September 15, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »
His comments underline that he's massively in denial, which is surely a sign he knows the game is almost up.  If he honestly expects anyone to believe his plans have been thrown into disarray because of losing Grealish as his lynchpin, then he is not just delusional and full of shit but borderline insane.  Who in their  right mind would base their entire campaign plan around a flaky in-and-out, half-arsed, injury prone,  gives you 10 decent minutes every third game kind of player like Jack?  It's not as if he's Pirlo is it? Bruce deserves sacking just for even suggesting that despite his multi million pound squad his whole philosphy stands or falls on the availability of one hitherto mediocre and inconsistent player. 

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #6168 on: September 15, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
He's been here 11 months, I still have no idea of what he thinks our best 11 is, what his preferred formation is or what our style of play is meant to be. We're a disjointed mess of individuals and nowhere near being a cohesive unit.

Ask fifty random Villa supporters what our best team is and i'll bet they wont agree on it either. And that's before we get into formations and what not.

On the way to the game in the car we always pick the side and formation and we never agree on either. Then you come home and put WM on and hear other Villa fans coming out with shit like 'we should never have dropped Hutton' or 'Elmo is no better than Bacuna' etc etc. If we can't agree on what the best team is it's not hard to understand why Bruce can't either. If the players turned up every week and gave their best it might help.

We're a mess.

I disagree with the observation were a mess and with a fully fit squad, I would argue the team more or less picks itself. I also refuse to start picking on individuals while Bruce is in charge because In my opinion every player is being restricted and is loosing confidence in the complete negativity of Bruce's management.
We saw the difference in Hourihane the other week when Bruce accidentally let the shackles off.

I would imagine there would be a load of decent managers envying our squad and what they could do with it.

Go on then, name the team that picks itself.

Johnstone, De Laet, Taylor, Chester, Terry, Jedinak, Onomah, Hourihane, Snodgrass, Adomah, Kodija

Yep that's what I had in mind more or less, Green could come off the Bench for Adomah and Hogan if your playing 2 up front.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:07:17 PM by mrfuse »

Offline Villa75

« Reply #6169 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
His comments underline that he's massively in denial, which is surely a sign he knows the game is almost up.  If he honestly expects anyone to believe his plans have been thrown into disarray because of losing Grealish as his lynchpin, then he is not just delusional and full of shit but borderline insane.  Who in their  right mind would base their entire campaign plan around a flaky in-and-out, half-arsed, injury prone,  gives you 10 decent minutes every third game kind of player like Jack?  It's not as if he's Pirlo is it? Bruce deserves sacking just for even suggesting that despite his multi million pound squad his whole philosphy stands or falls on the availability of one hitherto mediocre and inconsistent player.

100%.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #6170 on: September 15, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »

100%.

I completely agree also.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6171 on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »

100%.

I completely agree also.
Me too

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6172 on: September 15, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
Bruce said Jack was the centre of his plans for the season
Losing him is a blow to us. My system in pre-season was geared around Grealish and how to get the best out of him.”

Brucey is a bull shitter. How could he gear pre season around Jack when he played around 45 minutes of it.
The delusion that he is creating around himself signals that the end of his tenure is close. He pretty much knows he will get the bullet soon; the players will know it too, and how they play on Saturday will demonstrate how committed they are to him.
As I said, tomorrow will really demonstrate the degree of commitment the players have to him. His comments in today's press conference merely support the view that he's a dead man walking.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6173 on: September 15, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
Article from BBC.co.uk - the ramblings of an unhinged football manager:
Under-pressure Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has responded to social media-led criticism from supporters by defending his Championship record.

Villa are 18th in the table, with seven points from seven games.

And some fans are upset by the club's inconsistent start under Bruce, Villa's seventh boss in seven years.

"I've heard I'm a dinosaur. But I've been promoted twice in the five years," Bruce told BBC WM. "If I go, who are they going to get who's any better?"

Bruce, whose side travel to Oakwell to face Barnsley on Saturday, added: "Is that the fix? Off with my head, then someone else comes in and changes everything again?

"This team came in either last Christmas or this summer and people are judging them on six months. That's not long enough."

Bruce has won promotion from this level four times in all, twice at his previous club Hull City and also, more famously, twice with Villa's local rivals Birmingham City.

But, despite his side being unbeaten in four matches, two successive goalless home draws have added extra pressure to Saturday's trip to Barnsley.

"If it's the last-chance saloon, then so be it," said Bruce. "If that's what they want. But who's creating that? Social media and radio phone-ins.

"The vast majority of Villa fans here for the Middlesbrough game the other night, and there were 29,000 of them, were still right behind myself and the players.

"They can see that progress is being made after a difficult few years for the club.

"I've been in it long enough to know realistically what happens if you don't get results, but things are bubbling along under the surface. And I totally believe we will be there and thereabouts."

Villa are weighed down by having to handle the second-biggest wage bill in the Championship, largely a bequest of Bruce's managerial predecessors.

The club are well in surplus as far as their summer trading is concerned as Bruce attempts to overturn the playing staff, while at the same time trying to handle the Villa fans' ambitions by righting a long decline with improved results on the park.

But, having already served evidence that he will give any good young players a chance, he has been hit by the loss to injury of the two of the club's brighter prospects, Jack Grealish and Andre Green.

Villa manager Steve Bruce was talking to BBC WM's Mark Regan

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6174 on: September 15, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
I don't mind a bit of defiance from Bruce, I don't think many of us will agree with much he's said but he's come out swinging a bit.

By the fact his media pals were out in force after Tuesday night suggests he knows how much pressure he is under.

Mainly we are where we are because of the away form, over to you Steve you have perfect opportunity to shut everyone up for a few weeks with 3 points tomorrow....put down the book of excuses and have a think on how you are going to get a performance out of this lot

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #6175 on: September 15, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
OMG that is all full of crap. If nothing else one thing Bruce there were just over 26000 in the ground against Boro that included about 1500 Boro fans. So even with published facts you are shit.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6176 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
Who are 'they' going to get? That's a poor turn of phrase. Who's going to do better than 7 points from 7 games Steve? Many people I'd imagine.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #6177 on: September 15, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
Under-pressure Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has responded to social media-led criticism from supporters by defending his Championship record.

And some fans are upset by the club's inconsistent start under Bruce, Villa's seventh boss in seven years.

"I've heard I'm a dinosaur. But I've been promoted twice in the five years," Bruce told BBC WM. "If I go, who are they going to get who's any better?"

Bruce, whose side travel to Oakwell to face Barnsley on Saturday, added: "Is that the fix? Off with my head, then someone else comes in and changes everything again?

"This team came in either last Christmas or this summer and people are judging them on six months. That's not long enough."

Bruce has won promotion from this level four times in all, twice at his previous club Hull City and also, more famously, twice with Villa's local rivals Birmingham City.

But, despite his side being unbeaten in four matches, two successive goalless home draws have added extra pressure to Saturday's trip to Barnsley.

"If it's the last-chance saloon, then so be it," said Bruce. "If that's what they want. But who's creating that? Social media and radio phone-ins.

"The vast majority of Villa fans here for the Middlesbrough game the other night, and there were 29,000 of them, were still right behind myself and the players.

"They can see that progress is being made after a difficult few years for the club.

"I've been in it long enough to know realistically what happens if you don't get results, but things are bubbling along under the surface. And I totally believe we will be there and thereabouts."

Villa are weighed down by having to handle the second-biggest wage bill in the Championship, largely a bequest of Bruce's managerial predecessors.

The club are well in surplus as far as their summer trading is concerned as Bruce attempts to overturn the playing staff, while at the same time trying to handle the Villa fans' ambitions by righting a long decline with improved results on the park.

But, having already served evidence that he will give any good young players a chance, he has been hit by the loss to injury of the two of the club's brighter prospects, Jack Grealish and Andre Green.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #6178 on: September 15, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »

Public service broadcasting my arse.

Second biggest wage bill, I find that very hard to believe and  even if that were true Bruce significantly increased it by bringing Terry, Whelan and Snodgrass in this summer.

The club being well in surplus is nonsense too as it ignores the contracts handed out to the trio above. Plus Bruce's Jan import crew are surely on a lot more than what the Jan export crew were getting with their relegation wage cuts.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #6179 on: September 15, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »
Key point is at the time he was a pragmatic choice based on everything

He had had his chance, is far more likeable than most recent managers and gets that it is the biggest job he'll ever have.

Unfortunately he has come up way short. Way, way short. Had he the constraints of other managers in the league in terms of playing and wage budget then he could genuinely claim some more slack (justifiable or otherwise)

Set up the team around Jack  - hardly sensible based on how regularly unavailable Jack has been in the last 2 and a bit seasons.

It is interesting that our woes are all on account of who isn't available. The other week it was Jedinak and Kodjia missing that was the issue. Now they are back? It is because we were going to set up the team around Grealish  (who is out for some time yet). It is bollocks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal